HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 9:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

Condo developer grateful for lower project fees

May 05, 2009
By Nicole MacIntyre
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/560603

The city will give a developer six more months to get his Durand condo project off the ground.

Carlo Di Gioacchino of Dundurn Capital Partners warned councillors earlier this year that the city’s parkland dedication fee would kill the proposed 148-unit condo at the old Thistle Club site.

The planning committee amended a previous proposal to give high-rise developers a break for two years to spur construction in the recession. Councillors agreed to extend the stimulus plan another half year to mid-2011.

“We’re extremely happy,” said Di Gioacchino, who felt the previous proposal was inadequate.

“It’s taken the project from a no-go to full steam ahead.”

The fee reduction will cut the project’s parkland fee from nearly $1 million to about $150,000.

The city uses parkland fees to help pay for new parks. Even after the two and half year stimulus period, developers will pay less the current cost for parkland on townhouses and high-density projects.

Planning staff recently recommended a permanent fee reduction that will save from $1,000 to $4,500 per unit.

The interim stimulus initiative, which is expected to be passed by council next week, will be even cheaper, charging only 5 per cent of the land value for large developments.

Di Gioacchino said his team needs the extra six months to sell the condo units. He expects the sales office will open next spring and the company will be able to seek a building permit the following spring.

Planning staff endorsed Councillor Bob Bratina's request to extend the stimulus plan.

“It just gives them a little bit more flexibility,” said Bratina.

Staff cautioned against only giving a break to the Durand development, which could be considered illegal bonusing. All developers will be able to take advantage of the stimulus option.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 3:44 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Building Permit by spring 2011

wow. moving along at hamilton speed.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 12:04 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 2:52 AM
It's Hammer Time

"We’re now busy finalizing our suite designs and amenities in preparation for our Preview Opening in the Spring of 2010."

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 3:21 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 3:57 AM

I have to say that I really like what I see.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 5:03 AM

It looks really good. I wish it was a few more floors taller. but they are weird around that area wrt to 'air rights'. But i'll take it. I love how renderings always put 20 year old trees.

The two buildings look identical. nice mansards on the little building. That real estate is among the best in the city. Nice footprints and density. Well done.

Last edited by realcity; Mar 1, 2010 at 6:25 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 4:39 PM

How's this coming along?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 2:16 AM

any new news? since 11 months ago the Speculator announced this land project/speculation?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2010, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
"We’re now busy finalizing our suite designs and amenities in preparation for our Preview Opening in the Spring of 2010."
we sure are....

Last edited by realcity; Apr 23, 2010 at 2:05 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 8:04 PM

Condos

Went by the other day and it still looks like nothing is going on the sign still have no date for gathering and no builder info. Anyone know if this is left alone or if they are putting up those condo's. I think they would be a nice addition to the area.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 2:46 PM

finally some action

Crews have been on site since Monday doing some grading....perhaps this project is finally underway! Anyone else know more details?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 2:40 PM

I think they are getting ready to construct a sales centre/trailer or something like that. If that's the case, then it is good news. But since this is a large development with a lot of units I would guess that sales/reservations would have to be pretty strong before they move to construction. If the Dundurn/Aberdeen project is only 50% sold (at least according to the sign) after what, 6-8 weeks of sales, then it may be tough to sell the hundreds of units here. Although this is a great location and I'd bet prices would be a lot cheaper then Aberdeen/Dundurn.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 1:41 PM

A sales office makes sense. I took a closer look walking to work this morning and they seem to be making two gravel parking areas - one at the southwest corner and another at the northeast corner (intersection of Robinson and Park). There is a trailer on site as well - hard to say if it is a construction trailer or a future sales centre...either way, nice to finally see something happening!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 4:42 PM

Thistle Square a GO!!! just so ya know!!

I stumbled accross this conversation thread and it appears there are a number of interested people in this project.

I thought I should blow the whistle for ya so you knew that this project is going full steam ahead! I have communicated directly via e-mail and telephone with the VP of Dundurn Capital Partners, Carlo Di Gioacchino, and he assured me that they are working on opening the sales centre in the early 1st quarter of 2011!! YES 2011.

To further assure you that this project is going forward full steam, I would urge you to visit Davies Condos website of new construction projects registration! If you do not know who Davies Condos is they are only the leader in Condo sales both new and resale in the Burlington / Oakville areas!

http://www.daviescondos.ca/index.php...wprojects_list

This is exciting news for the area and definitely going to be a welcome addition to an otherwise unsightly block in an otherwise beautiful heritage area of the city, not to mention it will put Urban West condos to shame as well as the already completed Live Works IMO!!

Cheers,

David

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 1:41 PM

Looks like the project has been rebranded as 'City Square'. There is a large billboard up at the corner of Park and Robinson.

It lists the website as mycitysquare.com - unfortunately this seems to be a typo as mycitysquare.com is the website for a mall in Vancouver.

It should read mycitysquare.ca!!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
I suspect that DNA is not representative of the entire neighbourhood. Quite often neighbourhood associations are controlled by a clique of activist residents only interested in their specific agenda of interest. In this case, I suspect the DNA is made up of single-family home owners and has no representation from the apartment and condo dwellers, who actually make up the majority of residents in this area.
I'm on the board of directors for the DNA (and am not a homeowner), and can assure you that is a misconception. At both the board level and general membership, the DNA represents owners and renters of houses, condos and apartments. The organization began during the fight to protect homes and heritage properties from the blockbusting tactics of highrise developers in the 1970's. However, today it focuses on all issues that affect the quality of life in Durand. For example we are involved in meetings with Hamilton city housing, as their clients are part of our membership and we represent their concerns. I hope this clears things up, and I can also assure you that the DNA has been involved in the Thistle Club development and is in support of the current site plan.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 8:56 PM

Thanks for the insight on the DNA, and congrats on joining their board. I'm wondering if the board was as all-encompassing back when I made those comments - nearly three years ago What path brought you back to that point in time?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 10:23 PM

Didn't mean to dredge up the past, that just popped up when I loaded this thread. In 2008 I had just moved to this neighbourhood. Thats the pace of private new construction in Hamilton for you.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 11:36 PM

Yes painfully slow, that's for sure. There has to be a way to streamline the planning process. Although I guess given the timing the slowdown is partly to be blamed on the recession and not solely on turtle-paced bureaucratic process.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton