HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 7:04 PM

So I have a question. I was exploring the rood of Jackson Square, and my biggest question up there, was, what was this supposed to be used for? It's a nice area, and if it was busier it would be cool, but what exactly would bring people up there, what was the original plan?

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 10:45 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
So I have a question. I was exploring the rood of Jackson Square, and my biggest question up there, was, what was this supposed to be used for? It's a nice area, and if it was busier it would be cool, but what exactly would bring people up there, what was the original plan?
It was intended to be a civic square that people could use to get away from the hustle and bustle of the streets below it. The original plan included all sorts of water features and gardens. Yale basically took over control of it and simplified the shit out of it as a cost saving measure.

(from wikipedia)

"Finally in 1964, the housing act was altered to include civic improvement and Hamilton was the first city to apply for funding. In April 1965, city planner Murray Jones unveiled his plans for a new downtown civic square. Under his plan, axial pools would form the centre of the complex with a planetarium in the middle. There would be a sculpture court, a large remodelled suburban-style Eaton's department store, an auditorium, a hotel with a garden courtyard, and a library adjacent to the art gallery, with King Street West running one way through the middle. Amongst parcels of open green space, new smaller streets would cut across the public vistas. Roughly 17 hectares (43 acres) of familiar downtown space would be eliminated, and many open spaces would be incorporated into the new square, under the assumption that the old slum-like core required plenty of fresh air circulation – ironically, a public health theory born during the height of the cholera epidemic in Victorian London. Although many Hamiltonians held fond memories of the buildings that were to be torn down, the garden-like Civic Square plan that was published in The Hamilton Spectator grabbed the public's attention and fuelled their enthusiasm for change. In addition, the Greater Hamilton Shopping Centre (now known as The Centre on Barton), which had opened ten years earlier east of the city on the old Jockey Club race track, and which had been successful since its opening, had made the core's downtown buildings look antiquated.

Despite the wide approval of the original garden-like scheme, by July 1968 the plan had been scrapped in favour of a scheme by Montreal developers Yale Properties that would provide more revenue. As the municipal government hashed out the overall construction cost to build the original plan, controversy stirred amongst officials of CMHC who were under pressure by the federal minister to stop providing money. By October 1968, CMHC had given out approximately $168 million to various Canadian municipalities to upgrade their built infrastructure, but after multiple complaints from watchdog groups and government officials over the casual administrative process and its inability to control the expenditure of private contractors, federal Urban Affairs Minister Robert Andres was forced to halt activities. Ultimately CMHC reverted to its pre-1964 role, which was solely to provide capital resources to create or redevelop residential addresses. Hamilton, therefore, lost its ability to apply or even negotiate for further grants and, as greater pressure was placed on the municipality to pick up the tab,[3] city planners disregarded the gardens and pools of the original plan and looked towards a scheme that would require a minimum amount of funding and produce a maximum amount of revenue for their investment. Yale Properties quickly swooped in and consolidated the originally dispersed commercial and civic components and locked them into two large super-blocks (figures 3 and 4), connected by an indoor mall with no outdoor frontage. High barren walls of brown concrete would line most of the expanded King Street West and all civic components were pushed onto a public square located above the mall and away from the street. The city and developer faced heavy opposition from the citizens who were promised open space, gardens, and long pools of fresh water, but all complaints either went unheeded or were quickly deflected by promises of civic festivals and facilities above the mall complex on the piazza roof or enclosed indoors.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:22 PM

It will be interesting if Jackson Square attracts some higher-end tenants in the near future. With all of the condos and apartments within walking distance, there's a massive demand for better retailers and restaurants in Jackson Square.

It will be interesting to see what's going in the former Grand and Toy space. Hopefully something recognizable and useful.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
It was intended to be a civic square that people could use to get away from the hustle and bustle of the streets below it. The original plan included all sorts of water features and gardens. Yale basically took over control of it and simplified the shit out of it as a cost saving measure.

(from wikipedia)

"Finally in 1964, the housing act was altered to include civic improvement and Hamilton was the first city to apply for funding. In April 1965, city planner Murray Jones unveiled his plans for a new downtown civic square. Under his plan, axial pools would form the centre of the complex with a planetarium in the middle. There would be a sculpture court, a large remodelled suburban-style Eaton's department store, an auditorium, a hotel with a garden courtyard, and a library adjacent to the art gallery, with King Street West running one way through the middle. Amongst parcels of open green space, new smaller streets would cut across the public vistas. Roughly 17 hectares (43 acres) of familiar downtown space would be eliminated, and many open spaces would be incorporated into the new square, under the assumption that the old slum-like core required plenty of fresh air circulation – ironically, a public health theory born during the height of the cholera epidemic in Victorian London. Although many Hamiltonians held fond memories of the buildings that were to be torn down, the garden-like Civic Square plan that was published in The Hamilton Spectator grabbed the public's attention and fuelled their enthusiasm for change. In addition, the Greater Hamilton Shopping Centre (now known as The Centre on Barton), which had opened ten years earlier east of the city on the old Jockey Club race track, and which had been successful since its opening, had made the core's downtown buildings look antiquated.

Despite the wide approval of the original garden-like scheme, by July 1968 the plan had been scrapped in favour of a scheme by Montreal developers Yale Properties that would provide more revenue. As the municipal government hashed out the overall construction cost to build the original plan, controversy stirred amongst officials of CMHC who were under pressure by the federal minister to stop providing money. By October 1968, CMHC had given out approximately $168 million to various Canadian municipalities to upgrade their built infrastructure, but after multiple complaints from watchdog groups and government officials over the casual administrative process and its inability to control the expenditure of private contractors, federal Urban Affairs Minister Robert Andres was forced to halt activities. Ultimately CMHC reverted to its pre-1964 role, which was solely to provide capital resources to create or redevelop residential addresses. Hamilton, therefore, lost its ability to apply or even negotiate for further grants and, as greater pressure was placed on the municipality to pick up the tab,[3] city planners disregarded the gardens and pools of the original plan and looked towards a scheme that would require a minimum amount of funding and produce a maximum amount of revenue for their investment. Yale Properties quickly swooped in and consolidated the originally dispersed commercial and civic components and locked them into two large super-blocks (figures 3 and 4), connected by an indoor mall with no outdoor frontage. High barren walls of brown concrete would line most of the expanded King Street West and all civic components were pushed onto a public square located above the mall and away from the street. The city and developer faced heavy opposition from the citizens who were promised open space, gardens, and long pools of fresh water, but all complaints either went unheeded or were quickly deflected by promises of civic festivals and facilities above the mall complex on the piazza roof or enclosed indoors.
keep in mind, that original description with planetarium/gardens/fountains etc...was ALL to be done at street level. Would have been amazing.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
keep in mind, that original description with planetarium/gardens/fountains etc...was ALL to be done at street level. Would have been amazing.
Would be interesting to see how this would be perceived today.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 11:30 PM

I've heard rumours that the renovations on Jackson Square have stopped because they're out of money.

Also what is up with the bathrooms? They're nice and brand new, but they're always absolutely horridly dirty.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
I've heard rumours that the renovations on Jackson Square have stopped because they're out of money.
They're currently renovating the lobby/elevator area of the Stelco Tower which includes redoing the wheelchair ramps across from Tim Hortons. I'm not super sure what exactly the work entails, but it's all closed off right now. It wouldn't suprise me if some of the more aesthetic renovations were put on pause to get the necessary ones out of the way (roof, washrooms, sprinklers and ramps etc) but hopefully it's not for long.

The old grand & toy unit that faces King is going to be a pizza place so that should be opening soon.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
They're currently renovating the lobby/elevator area of the Stelco Tower which includes redoing the wheelchair ramps across from Tim Hortons. I'm not super sure what exactly the work entails, but it's all closed off right now. It wouldn't suprise me if some of the more aesthetic renovations were put on pause to get the necessary ones out of the way (roof, washrooms, sprinklers and ramps etc) but hopefully it's not for long.

The old grand & toy unit that faces King is going to be a pizza place so that should be opening soon.
I was wishing a larger tenant would be occupying that Grand & Toy Space. Do you know which Pizza place will be opening there?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:15 PM

Here's an idea, does anyone think Jackson Square may one day enclose the roof area if Hamilton City Centre does not end up as a mall? They could make Jackson Square so much nicer if it wasn't such a low ceiling sprawled out mess.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Here's an idea, does anyone think Jackson Square may one day enclose the roof area if Hamilton City Centre does not end up as a mall? They could make Jackson Square so much nicer if it wasn't such a low ceiling sprawled out mess.
It depends on what will happen to the City Centre and what the owners of Jackson Square are willing to do in terms of renovations.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:29 PM

I can't remember the pizza place name off the top of my head; they're currently operating as a food truck and this will be their first retail location.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
I can't remember the pizza place name off the top of my head; they're currently operating as a food truck and this will be their first retail location.
Oh okay, thanks David. Hopefully, it will be good.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
In Hamilton, pizza is the new Tim Hortons

Seriously though, this makes very little sense. There would be a major investment needed in that space for fixturing. Hope the tenant has deep pockets.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
In Hamilton, pizza is the new Tim Hortons

Seriously though, this makes very little sense. There would be a major investment needed in that space for fixturing. Hope the tenant has deep pockets.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I'm all for more pizza in the city lol, but I'm not sure if a pizza place is something to look forward to in this space. I'm wondering if it's a new chain expanding from Toronto? or the States?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 6:47 PM

Well hopefully at least it's a nice pizzeria restaurant and not a fast food joint.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
Well hopefully at least it's a nice pizzeria restaurant and not a fast food joint.
Yeah, i'm hoping for a Valentino's esque type pizza restaurant.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 10:18 PM
Forever forward.

Something's opening up across from the card store, in the McMaster section of the Mall:

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 10:30 PM

Finally, somewhere to buy grills downtown.

Or maybe it's the Korg-centric sequel to the City Centre's former Bontempi boutique.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
Do you know which Pizza place will be opening there?
Rad Pizza
"Rad is Canada's first fine-fast casual pizza concept dedicated to elevating the pizza experience. We make ​fresh handmade pizzas and salads with the best local ingredients. Our thin crust oven-fired pizzas are ready in minutes. Made with ​delicious, thoughtfully-sourced ingredients for people who love pizza.
Our first location in the heart of downtown Hamilton will open in January 2019."

http://radpizza.ca/

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:36 AM

Building permit issued for a renovation to TD bank.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues