HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 3:25 AM
Come As You Are

Imagine how many amazing photos of the towers there would be if they had survived into today's camera-filled world.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 6:28 AM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 4:42 PM
gettin' rich!

New York Skyline has been partially restored. Still I like the old towers better, but I guess that goes for everyone else here.

Let's see if the other towers going up can make me change my mind. (I doubt it)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
New York Skyline has been partially restored. Still I like the old towers better, but I guess that goes for everyone else here.
I actually never liked the originals. There are a decent % of people that would agree.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
I actually never liked the originals. There are a decent % of people that would agree.
I agree although you can't deny how iconic the Twin Towers we're as anyone would recognize them, but they weren't exactly the prettiest of buildings. I personally think the new complex is superior design wise in almost every way.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
I agree although you can't deny how iconic the Twin Towers we're as anyone would recognize them, but they weren't exactly the prettiest of buildings. I personally think the new complex is superior design wise in almost every way.
^^^ This

My main attraction to the twins was the fact that they were twins. Of course, that had never been done before on that scale (and hasn't been done that much since, only Petronas comes to mind as other supertall twins, did I miss any?)

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 11:31 PM

I didnt like one wtc at first but i have come to like it alot, but the twins were at least in my eyes alot nicer

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 12:32 AM
Ex Houstonian

I think the replacement is much nicer than these bland behemoths.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 3:56 PM

I guess i'll jump on the WTC hate bandwagon too, cuz why not right?

I can see why some people would like the twins don't get me wrong, they are not the worst buildings (by modern architecture standards anyway) I have ever seen, but I just really never liked them.

Let's start with the most glaring flaw for me atleast, they were too overbearing. Their sheer massiveness and bulk really makes the pedestrian feel quite intimidated (well atleast I felt that way), i'll give the architect kudos for attempting to fix this by adding a massive plaza. However the plaza further enhances the problem, because while the rest of Lower Manhattan is relatively dense and compact the trade center was just FLIPPIN MASSIVE, it felt incredibly jarring to me.

I won't really complain about them being just simple boxes since that was and still is kinda the style now and while I am not very fond of it loads of people have already pointed that out.

However I will complain about the colors. Ugh, the grey on them was just awfully depressing. Especially in their later life, those exterior beams REALLY needed a good wash. Seriously from far away it did not even look like they had windows, they just looked like giant blocks of concrete.

Anyways, this has been my fairly long, biased and one sided rant about the twins. Bring on the hate train!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 5:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Like many girls do after consuming a lot of alcohol, I always felt that the original twins looked far better by night.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 5:44 PM
An Optimistic Realist

The main attraction of the Twin Towers were not their beauty, at least for me. Hell, I never thought about beauty and grace when I think of the WTC or NYC as a whole. When I think of New York and the Twin Towers, I think of brute, intimidating, dominating strength. Greatness, to put it into a single word. That's basically what America is all about. That's the definition of a skyscraper.They are to express strength and power in the most simplest of terms.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelfannumber1 View Post
I guess i'll jump on the WTC hate bandwagon too, cuz why not right?

I can see why some people would like the twins don't get me wrong, they are not the worst buildings (by modern architecture standards anyway) I have ever seen, but I just really never liked them.

Let's start with the most glaring flaw for me atleast, they were too overbearing. Their sheer massiveness and bulk really makes the pedestrian feel quite intimidated (well atleast I felt that way), i'll give the architect kudos for attempting to fix this by adding a massive plaza. However the plaza further enhances the problem, because while the rest of Lower Manhattan is relatively dense and compact the trade center was just FLIPPIN MASSIVE, it felt incredibly jarring to me.

I won't really complain about them being just simple boxes since that was and still is kinda the style now and while I am not very fond of it loads of people have already pointed that out.

However I will complain about the colors. Ugh, the grey on them was just awfully depressing. Especially in their later life, those exterior beams REALLY needed a good wash. Seriously from far away it did not even look like they had windows, they just looked like giant blocks of concrete.

Anyways, this has been my fairly long, biased and one sided rant about the twins. Bring on the hate train!
See, I loved them BECAUSE they were massive. They were built almost as a modern cathedral to commerce. You stood in that barren plaza and looked up in awe at the 1300' vertical faces of not 1 but 2 massive buildings. Workers funneled in and out through the lobbies below so the plaza was never really crowded.

To me they were a symbol of the power and strength of New York. They stood out. Two big rectangles, defying the slender ornate towers of past financial powerhouses. They were visible from pretty much anywhere. Always insisting they be a part of your horizon.

It's funny, that the reasons why you disliked them are precisely the reasons why I loved them so much.

I will give you the last point though. The facade was starting to look a bit dull and dirty by the end. I would think that if they still stood, by now we would have seen a complete refirb. Those aluminum panels could have been made to shine again.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 4:37 AM
Come As You Are

The twin towers were the epitome of power and elegance in a design.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 8:03 PM
Crane Goddess

Today April 4, 2014 marks the 41st anniversary of the Twin Tower's Dedication Ceremony, held on April 4, 1973.
If those towers had survived the damage done on 9/11, this would be kind of like their 41st birthday.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 5:08 AM

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 11:38 AM
Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
I will give you the last point though. The facade was starting to look a bit dull and dirty by the end. I would think that if they still stood, by now we would have seen a complete refirb. Those aluminum panels could have been made to shine again.
I read somewhere once that Silverstein had a full cleaning planned sometime in 2002 complete with full plaza redesign/renovation.

This might not have been the final plan, it was created in 1992 and had never been implemented so it's possible Silverstein's plan could have been massively different.

http://www.philipbabb.com/WorldTradeCenter.html

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 1:36 PM

Wow, I didn't know such a plan existed. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
The twin towers were the epitome of power and elegance in a design.
Maybe power, but not elegance.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 3:22 AM
Come As You Are

Power and elegance. Working together.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Power and elegance. Working together.
Power and elegance, working seperately.

(In other buildings)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture