HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:13 PM

NCC Ottawa River North Shores Parklands Plan

NCC wants to revamp river shores on Gatineau side.

Here's the plan approved today(12MB): http://s3.amazonaws.com/ncc-ccn/docu...AL-low-res.pdf

Next Steps
Special Advisory Committee meetings: 2018
Action Plan and start of implementation: 2018-2020

Scope of the plan:

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 6:28 PM

There's nothing more soul-killing than the NCC's greenspace fetish.

If they can't allow more human activities and structures along the rivers themselves, perhaps the Brewery Creek could be the focus of some human things to do. It's still amazing to me how many people don't realize downtown Hull is an island.

And oh dear- "Mouth" of Brewery Creek? Oh no no no no no. The other end is the mouth.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
There's nothing more soul-killing than the NCC's greenspace fetish.

If they can't allow more human activities and structures along the rivers themselves, perhaps the Brewery Creek could be the focus of some human things to do. It's still amazing to me how many people don't realize downtown Hull is an island.

And oh dear- "Mouth" of Brewery Creek? Oh no no no no no. The other end is the mouth.
Public access to river fronts is something that every city wants, not privatizing river fronts.

Every city also wants to rehabilitate former industrial lands, which are often along water.

Ottawa actually is the envy of most cities in this regard, despite what you are saying.

Any building on flood plains is foolish in the long run. Surely, we all understand this.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Public access to river fronts is something that every city wants, not privatizing river fronts.
Yes, but "access" shouldn't mean "pointless fetishization of sterile fields of grass and shrubs".

Other waterfront cities, whether rivers, canals, lakes, or harbours, have animated waterfronts with lots of human uses, not just gopher holes and winding paths for joggers.

Quote:
Any building on flood plains is foolish in the long run. Surely, we all understand this.
And yet we keep allowing crappy suburban development on low-lying lands near creeks and trickles far from the Ottawa River itself.

There are lots of things you can build along riverfronts that are perfectly compatible with the fact that the Ottawa River and its tributaries rise in the spring. I'm talking about the occasional pub or restaurant, often elevated or with patio space that can survive being inundated, recreational jetties, etc., not miles of condos.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 9:27 PM
R2-D2's army of death

For example, those incredible pruned sculptures from this summer in Jacques Cartier Park were a massive hit with locals and tourists. Attractions like that help bring people out and complement the greenspace. A grass field and trees does not do that.

There needs to be a mix; well-lit paths, flower beds, statues, space for art/exhibitions, pavilions, and even a handful of restaurants and canoe/kayak rental huts can help spruce up and liven up waterfront without it needing to be privatized and built upon.

I'm not opposed to green waterfront; I'm opposed to lazy and disconnected green waterfront.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 9:59 PM

But we cannot be placing costly things in the flood plain. Just last spring, there was a lot of damage done to just pathways along the shoreline that will cost a lot of money to repair.

I am all for having active greenspace, but we should not be risking millions of investment just to have it washed away. Place amenities in places close by that won't be washed out.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 10:10 PM

I lived in Prague last summer. The waterfront there was quite nice. Pleasant to be on, human-scaled, and not sterile.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I lived in Prague last summer. The waterfront there was quite nice. Pleasant to be on, human-scaled, and not sterile.
It is hard to recreate a very old city like that. I have been to Prague as well. Beautiful place.

Many cities in Europe have faced horrific flooding, which no doubt has cost the economy a great deal. We should not be creating new urban environments that will be subject to that degree of flooding.

And that does not consider that most of Europe is not subject to the degree of spring runoff that we do. Although last year was unusual, we cannot forget our past history of annual flooding along the Rideau River. This has been managed by ice blasting, and diking but also by past removal of buildings located near the river's edge.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Public access to river fronts is something that every city wants, not privatizing river fronts...

...Ottawa actually is the envy of most cities in this regard, despite what you are saying...
I don't think our highway encrusted waterways are the envy of ANY city.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I don't think our highway encrusted waterways are the envy of ANY city.
There are a lot of cities who built expressways along their waterfronts or have industrial wastelands. I don't think our parkways are anyway comparable.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
But we cannot be placing costly things in the flood plain. Just last spring, there was a lot of damage done to just pathways along the shoreline that will cost a lot of money to repair.

I am all for having active greenspace, but we should not be risking millions of investment just to have it washed away. Place amenities in places close by that won't be washed out.
I am all for having active space. It doesn't need to be "green".

That little restopub at Westboro beach - could it even be built today with the NCC's fixation on pretty, green, boring shit? I doubt it. There's a notion that the "pavilion" needs to be "renewed'; just wait for the NCC to take that as its opportunity to remove it entirely.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:15 PM

The borderline cliche attacks on the greenspaces of Ottawa I always think is off base. The plan seems well structured. Naturalizing the river around Hull island for fish migration and to give a paddle route around the Dam/Falls is a really clever idea and golden.
Having a wonderful paddle route through the capital, and down one of the greatest paddle rivers in the world is golden!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
That little restopub at Westboro beach - could it even be built today
yes, see also the (licensed) casse croute at Hog's Back, the licensed burger joints at Mooney's Bay and Britannia, Tavern on the Hill, Terrace on the Canal, and others, some of these are as new as last year, not that you'd let new facts mess with one of your favourite old tantrums.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
yes, see also the (licensed) casse croute at Hog's Back, the licensed burger joints at Mooney's Bay and Britannia, Tavern on the Hill, Terrace on the Canal, and others, some of these are as new as last year, not that you'd let new facts mess with one of your favourite old tantrums.
None of those are on the sacred shores of the Ottawa River, which must be preserved for all times, for the Canadians, as they were in 1962, so that suburban Ottawa commuters will have pretty grass to look at as they drive by. Because Canada.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
None of those are on the sacred shores of the Ottawa River, which must be preserved for all times, for the Canadians, as they were in 1962, so that suburban Ottawa commuters will have pretty grass to look at as they drive by. Because Canada.
You haven't addressed my flood plain concern. Why would you want to build on a flood zone? Taxpayers will end up footing the bill when there is flood damage.

I am all for a lively riverfront but let's keep buildings safely back from the shoreline. Make use of the flood plain with nice pathways and places to enjoy the views. By all means, have patios etc., but place permanent structures where it is safe.

We have to respect the power of the river. The Ottawa River is one of the biggest rivers in North America. We saw its rage just last spring and that is not the first time.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Good grief; 2 of the 5 examples, Britannia and the Terrace on the Hill, are on the Ottawa River.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
You haven't addressed my flood plain concern. Why would you want to build on a flood zone?
I wouldn't. Anything that you might describe as a building would be above the flood level for the most part. Anything in the remotely floodable zone would be things like patios or boat launches or pleasure piers that can tolerate being inundated, just as the existing tour boat dock at the foot of the locks does.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Good grief; 2 of the 5 examples, Britannia and the Terrace on the Hill, are on the Ottawa River.
The thingie "on the hill" is, um, up on a friggin' hill.

Where's the britannia thing?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 8:58 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't. Anything that you might describe as a building would be above the flood level for the most part. Anything in the remotely floodable zone would be things like patios or boat launches or pleasure piers that can tolerate being inundated, just as the existing tour boat dock at the foot of the locks does.
Read the pdf. There are plans for patios, and canoe launch points.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 9:00 PM

The real missing piece here what to do with the kurgar plan and how to tie in the Zibi developments. A paddle shack / outfitters near the upstream mouth the the river around Hull island would be a great addition to the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues