HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 7:18 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Just talked to a coworker (who is brown) who isn't voting for Nenshi because he's brown.
"who isn't voting for Nenshi because he's brown"

or

"who isn't voting for Nenshi, because he's brown"?

BIG difference here.

I'm not voting for Nenshi because he's brown. I'm voting for him because he is, in my opinion, the best choice for mayor.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 7:28 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
A wild guess, but I'm going with Bronco backs Nenshi.
I'm guessing that you're correct.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 7:30 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I thought Bronco said he was going to stay out of this election?

I really think his endorsement would hurt Nenshi.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 7:31 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

^^^ could he possibly want that? Nenshi being the only candidate seemingly not backed by the development industry?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
I'm guessing that you're correct.
Gawd, I hope not.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 7:33 PM
Fake News

Can you imagine the field day the Sun would have with that?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 7:42 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Oh and Mr. Perry, good on you for showing restraint and not taking Joe's bait!
It was tempting dammit! But I made a promise.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 7:46 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

According to DJ Kelly the big news will be revealed within the hour.

Seeing as he is part of ArtsVote could the announcement be that they will be endorsing Nenshi/McIver as a result of Higgins rip on them this morning?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 7:47 PM

Quote:
According to DJ Kelly the big news will be revealed within the hour.

Seeing as he is part of ArtsVote could the announcement be that they will be endorsing Nenshi/McIver as a result of Higgins rip on them this morning?
That would be kind of anti-climatic.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 7:55 PM

So there appears (from reading this thread) there are many Nenshi supporters on this forum and a lot of you guys n gals are early Nenshi supporters.

I think Nenshi is a very smart person, well spoken, with great (overall) policies. That said I won't vote for the guy based 2 of his Better Idea policies, namely Airport Tunnel and Secondary Suites.

His views on the airport tunnel are just not feasible and too late in the game. The runway and associated infrastructure is well past the design stage where the tunnel could be efficiently built into the runway design. My deep concern is that a Mayor Nenshi will engage CAA (Calgary Airport Authority) to get the Tunnel built. When CAA responds saying "Sorry but previous council turned down the Tunnel and runway planning and construction is too far along for the tunnel to be included. Turned down Nenshi will then start a fight with CAA to get the board elected by City officials rather than Chamber of Commerce. Great idea but the fight will take at least 2 years to get federal government to transfer land title (lease) to new city appointed authority. During this time of airport authority governance crisis all construction and planning will grind to halt. No new international terminal (badly needed for peak traffic periods) and no new runway (which is needed to support the traffic for the new terminal).

I will toss an open question to this forum of Nenshi supporters. How does Nenshi Better Idea vision get implemented while concurrently constructing the runway and terminal? Follow up question, if Mayor Nenshi becomes a reality, how does he implement Better Idea #4 without starting a fight with CAA and Federal Government?

Second issue with Nenshi is the Secondary Suites. Nenshi wants secondary suites to bring more affordable housing for Calgary. A great goal but in order for affordability to be attained two things not currently in the policy must happen.
1) Policy must not increase property taxes. If secondary suites are legal, then market value of the property increases as in relation to surrounding properties, therefore increasing property taxes for secondary suite home owner. If affordable housing is the goal Nenshi must include a policy statement that secondary suite home owners would receive a tax break, a controversial stance that would be opposed by most Calgarians since they would not receive preferential property tax breaks.
2) Legalizing secondary suites will result in large capital gain on sale of the home. The legal secondary suite homeowner would lose primary residence status on the home they must occupy under Better Idea #1. As a tax accountant I can conservatively estimate this would increase homeowner income taxes by $15,000 for each $100,000 increase in market value. Example, Buy home for $250,000, convert the home to include a secondary suite, sell couple years later for $350,000 result in a capital gain of $100,000. Capital gains include into income a 50% for a taxable capital gain of $50,000. Effective tax rate of 29% for Alberta (average tax rate, highest is 37% lowest 0 for those under basic exemption) yields an April tax bill of $14,500. City of Edmonton warns about loss of primary residence status at the following webpage http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...-faq.aspx#9758

So question to the Nenshi Secondary Suite supporters, how does Better Idea #1 get implemented while maintaining affordability, balancing property tax "fair share" for all Calgarians, and not forcing secondary suite home owners into a crushing capital tax bill on sale of home?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 7:56 PM
City Maker

Quote:
RICK BELL STOP MAKING SO MUCH SENSE! I can't take it!

I'm scared...
By the end of this election Bigtime will be found in fetal position in a dark corner of the boiler room of Arriva rocking back and forth mumbling, "Did you hear what Rick Bell said?! Did you hear what Rick Bell said?". Sometime elections have such devastating consequences.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 8:00 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
By the end of this election Bigtime will be found in fetal position in a dark corner of the boiler room of Arriva rocking back and forth mumbling, "Did you hear what Rick Bell said?! Did you hear what Rick Bell said?". Sometime elections have such devastating consequences.
FTW!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 8:01 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

That is a chilling vision of my future...

Don't forget the part where I look up and in feverish delirium see Littletime crawling on the ceiling.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 8:03 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 8:38 PM
effete latte-lifter

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
If anything it's a tad late.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 8:59 PM

Your News isn't about Wayne Stewart dropping out and supporting Nenshi is it?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 9:03 PM
effete latte-lifter

^^No, that was announced before DJ Kelly started teasing this "big one."
Update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Kelly via twitter
I might have spoken too soon about the "big news". Things appear to be falling apart as we speak. I'd say it's 50/50 at this point. #yycvote

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 9:08 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

As someone at Calpuck thought, the big news could be the 'Final 3' TV debate. However a few minutes ago DJ Kelly tweeted that it looks like whatever it is is falling apart and is 50/50 at best now.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 9:08 PM

DJKelly says that the news is only about 50/50 to happen now...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy