HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:51 PM
ABOVE people like you

How sweet can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
god dam i wish i could win the loto 10-20 million and i would be set to do somthing sweet for this city..... has a plan drawn out in my head
That plan must be pretty small.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 6:04 PM
BANNED

It's sad that this question was in the survey.

18. I’m going to read you some statements and have you tell me which ones best reflect your own personal views. There has been some discussion about the role of immigrants in Canada. Some people say that immigrants make an important contribution to our country and help make Canada prosperous. Other people say that immigrants make little or no contribution to our country and are a drain on our resources.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 8:15 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post

Unfortunately your province is destined for ruin under the NDP. Oh well, I guess that means I'll be seeing even more Manitoba license plates around town. At least they are providing the demand to push up our skyrocketing housing prices.
Yeah, that really can't happen anymore. Manitoba needs to stand up and fight against the evil brain-drain society we call Alberta jk

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 12:10 AM

expand your ports

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
Yes but its good that there is a drive to help improve the province. I think it may soon if not already be the only province West of Quebec that is a have not.
It is.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:29 AM

Quote:
That would definitely be a good start, and I would certainly praise Manitoba for having the strength to take the short term pain for the long term gains. The only problem with this strategy is...

Unfortunately your province is destined for ruin under the NDP.
Just like Sask Scott? The economy there is doin just fine thanks with an NDP govt.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 4:33 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych1 View Post
Just like Sask Scott? The economy there is doin just fine thanks with an NDP govt.
NDP governments can have direction. The Manitoban NDP party is running the province into the ground.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:19 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
NDP governments can have direction. The Manitoban NDP party is running the province into the ground.
No freakin kidding, last person to leave..please turn out the lights.

I'll never vote NDP as long as I live because of this current administration.

Although as I said earlier, I doubt the conservatives under McFadyen would be much different.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:26 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
No freakin kidding, last person to leave..please turn out the lights.

I'll never vote NDP as long as I live because of this current administration.

Although as I said earlier, I doubt the conservatives under McFadyen would be much different.
run for the green party then

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:28 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
run for the green party then
It's funny you mention this..

I have come to think of the Green party as being an edgy, innovative NDP for the 21st century. If the NDP could drop the Noam Chomsky schtick and evolve with the times, they would probably look very much like the Greens.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 5:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
It's funny you mention this..

I have come to think of the Green party as being an edgy, innovative NDP for the 21st century. If the NDP could drop the Noam Chomsky schtick and evolve with the times, they would probably look very much like the Greens.
did not think of it that way but they are an alternative

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 8:15 PM
gettin' rich!

Manitoba you dont want to be a "have" province. Ottawa will just bend you over stick a hose up your ass, and suck all the money out.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 8:22 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Manitoba you dont want to be a "have" province. Ottawa will just bend you over stick a hose up your ass, and suck all the money out.

Yeah, well the position we are in right now isn't doing us any good either! Time for a change.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 8:45 PM

Quote:
So being the poorest province west of NB (actually they are number 7 per capita thus poorer than 1 atlantic province) is any better. I would rather work like a shmoe and pay taxes like I do right now then be the bum asking me for change at the street corner for lack of a better analogy.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 9:55 PM

Manitoba - and Winnipeg - need to first truly identify all that's wrong with the province (or at least perception), whether its fixable or not (such as being the "coldest city on the continent" - not fixable, but is it possible to offset this) , and then create an action plan to address it. Almost a SWOT analysis, for lack of a better term.

There always seems to be a "if we build it" mentality in Winnipeg to fix its fortunes (Juba definitely followed this theory)...it's not that easy. I also find that there is still a lot of old mentality in Winnipeg that keeps resorting back to the past (such as the Juba comments...for all the times I've heard my parents talk about Juba, geez) instead of looking forward. I thought Katz might be that guy, but was maybe better as a pure business citizen.

Winnipeg has a lot to offer...oddly enough, I really found that out when I travelled to work there two years ago as a "out-of-towner" (I spent the first 25 years of my life in the Peg), working for a year (yes, through winter) with folks from TO, Texas, and SoCal. Funny, the folks from TO were the biggest complainers of Winnipeg's cold and small-town "Nothing to do" feel...the folks from Texas and SoCal were genuinely impressed with Winnipeg and its diverse culture - and found the week of -40c almost funny (though, we all went to our homes on the weekends for a break).

Anyhow - as an example of the perception of MB and Winnipeg, while I was looking at the Rough Guides "World Party" website (another thread under "Canada"), they had Festival du Voyaguer listed as a world event (rightfully so)...but this is how they started off the article:

"OK, there’s loads of jokes about Winnipeg – even Canadians find it funny; and it’s regularly voted the most boring city in North America. But it’s in fact one of the country’s biggest cultural centres, and boasts Western Canada’s biggest winter festival, a ten-day jamboree held in Saint-Boniface, the French Quarter of town."

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 10:43 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
There always seems to be a "if we build it" mentality in Winnipeg to fix its fortunes (Juba definitely followed this theory)...it's not that easy. I also find that there is still a lot of old mentality in Winnipeg that keeps resorting back to the past (such as the Juba comments...for all the times I've heard my parents talk about Juba, geez) instead of looking forward.

In terms of the Stephen Juba comment, I was merely pointing out an individual who had some serious passion about Winnipeg, and was a strong advocator for the city. I wasn't trying to say we should keep things as they were in the past. Juba wanted to take Winnipeg into the 27th century and make it a true world class city. And even though he was a mayor back in the 50's, 60's and 70's, he had great vision for how Winnipeg should function many many years down the road. I think you just misunderstood my comment

As I stated before, I would like to see someone like him with a LONG-TERM vision for the city and who is committed to making it a top notch and envious place amongst Canadians.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 10:43 PM
Calgreedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych1 View Post
Kudos to Saskatchewan for finally bringing in some measure of fiscal responsibility.

I'm still skeptical about their future though, as the government has already began to think about how they can spend themselves back into debt and have-not province status. Much of their economic growth has been spillover from Alberta however (outsourcing of energy-related manufacturing) due to the cost-advantages that their cheap labour pool brings to the table. A couple years of balanced budgets and average economic success does not give this administration a passing grade (yet).
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 10:50 PM
Calgreedian

Quote:
Couldn't have said it any better. Anyone who has read the first chapter of a basic book on economics could tell you that large subsidies (equalization payments) are going to create massive inefficiences all around. Equalization is only preventing the free flow of labour and capital around the country to places where it is needed most (Alberta, BC, Ontario). By providing incentives for governments and citizens to maintain the status quo of horrible economic growth, low incomes, and deficit budgeting, everyone ends up being worse off.
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 11:17 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Couldn't have said it any better. Anyone who has read the first chapter of a basic book on economics could tell you that large subsidies (equalization payments) are going to create massive inefficiences all around. Equalization is only preventing the free flow of labour and capital around the country to places where it is needed most (Alberta, BC, Ontario). By providing incentives for governments and citizens to maintain the status quo of horrible economic growth, low incomes, and deficit budgeting, everyone ends up being worse off.

Really? What does that say for Alberta then?

Even though Ottawa still requires this province to compensate for the rest of the 'have-not' provinces (which I understand how that can be a real pain in the ass), do you think that Alberta would give up the opportunity to be in the financial position it is currently in to offset this issue/problem by becoming a have-not province?

I know I don't.

It's easy for Alberta to say "oh, trust us, you don't want to be in our position", and maybe Manitoba shouldn't be in that exact position, but again, Manitoba needs to beef up it's economic potential to become a more prominent and prosperous province. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Greco Roman; Jan 19, 2007 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 11:29 PM
Calgreedian

Alberta has more to gain though since we can achieve a surplus of nearly $10 Billion through conservative fiscal management. It is much easier for a province that can only achieve a surplus of $50 or $100 Million to say "screw it" and spend themselves into a deficit of $50 or $100 Million and collect the equalization payments. It's like your boss coming to you and saying "Hey if you don't save any money this month and want to run up your credit cards a little, I'll give you a raise".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan