HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Doesn't really matter. Kaye was lucky not to get a straight red early on. Gamesmanship is apart of this...complaining about diving or simulation doesn't really get us anywhere at the end of the day.

Why do you want non-biased commentators for NT games? If a Canadian is calling CMNT games i'm assuming they'll always have a slant. I get the desire for neutral commentators for club sports but I don't understand the desire for neutral commentators for NT matches.
Listen to him and you'll see what a 'homer' he is. Brutal colour commentator. When the World Cup is on, we get the 'world feed' commentators who are almost all british and when england, or scotland, wales, northern ireland are on, they are not biassed towards their 'home' nation. I find it makes the game more enjoyable.

Gamesmanship should not be a part of the game. Call it what you want. The dark arts, skullduggery. Not a good example to set for kids wanting to play the game.

I play myself and trying to trick the referee drives me nuts. In my old timers league, we get guys who are ahead with a minute to go and they drag out a throw in, kick the ball off the field deliberately into the parking lot etc, make a substitution painfully slow etc. Its' a fun/beer league and they are trying all of these time wasting activities. Its just so embarrassing.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 4:23 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Ya. Got nothing from the lottery and by the time I got in the ticket website today (was in queue for 5 hours) there wasn't any Canada group packages available
Wow. I guess it's also been 40 years.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 4:25 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Listen to him and you'll see what a 'homer' he is. Brutal colour commentator. When the World Cup is on, we get the 'world feed' commentators who are almost all british and when england, or scotland, wales, northern ireland are on, they are not biassed towards their 'home' nation. I find it makes the game more enjoyable.
Brits are biased towards Brits or other Commonwealth nations. It's painfully obvious in most broadcasts of most sports (especially in, say, F1). If it's nicer on your ear then that's fine, but everyone has bias no matter the situation.

If you're subscribed to OneSoccer they offer a no-commentary feed. That's usually my go-to, and frankly I usually watch streams on mute or stadium sound when I can.

Quote:
Gamesmanship should not be a part of the game. Call it what you want. The dark arts, skullduggery. Not a good example to set for kids wanting to play the game.
Been this way for decades, and decades, and decades. Do teams do shady things? Yes. But all teams take part in this - some people here encourage and get excited when Canada employs the same tactics. To remove all gamesmanship from soccer you'd have to play games on the Moon or something. There will always be an element of it present.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 4:35 PM
I am the law!

Homerism defines spectator sports. No one should be justifiably offended when broadcasters favours the Maple Leaf on the international stage. The high moral road for this case is a bore.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Brits are biased towards Brits or other Commonwealth nations. It's painfully obvious in most broadcasts of most sports (especially in, say, F1). If it's nicer on your ear then that's fine, but everyone has bias no matter the situation.
I don't follow F1 and really soccer is the only main team sport I follow. The brit commentators can be homers (Carragher, Ian Wright, Gary Neville etc) but the commentators we get on DAZN and the World Feed are much more neutral and don't bring their biasses to the table.

If you want a memorable commentator check out Ray Hudson formerly of Gol TV and BeIn Sports for La Liga.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 5:13 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
If you want a memorable commentator check out Ray Hudson formerly of Gol TV and BeIn Sports for La Liga.
Isn't he the guy that says increasingly ridiculous things for basically memes at this point? I can't imagine seriously listening to any match he does.

Anyway, besides the point. I don't see an issue with Canadian commentators being biased during Canadian matches. So what?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Isn't he the guy that says increasingly ridiculous things for basically memes at this point? I can't imagine seriously listening to any match he does.

Anyway, besides the point. I don't see an issue with Canadian commentators being biased during Canadian matches. So what?
That's the guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TP74zX5JZM

A little bit of him goes a long way. If you go to Barcelona and go on the stadium tour, there is corridor of photos and commentary from big games playing and the only english language commentary is Ray Hudson gushing orgasmically about Messi.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 2:25 PM

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 6:04 PM

Big game today. Go Canada!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 8:47 PM

The pitch in Toronto looks pretty bad. And it looks really cold but that may favour Canada?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 10:03 PM
Community Guy

We're going to Qatar!!!

A big 4-0 win over Jamaica.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 10:10 PM

Congrats Canada !!

Hope to see you in BC Place one day!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 10:29 PM

never thought I would see the day Canada qualifying. Italy out of the world cup and Canada in crazy times we live in. This could be a giant sea change in Canadian sports glad to see it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2022, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
never thought I would see the day Canada qualifying. Italy out of the world cup and Canada in crazy times we live in. This could be a giant sea change in Canadian sports glad to see it.
2 World Cups in a row now that Italy hasn't qualified. And in between the two, they won the Euro Cup. Go figure.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
2 World Cups in a row now that Italy hasn't qualified. And in between the two, they won the Euro Cup. Go figure.
Italy's squad the last several years is nowhere near their vintage squads. It's remarkable that they won Euro and had such a long unbeaten streak. I don't know how they played that well for so long. Considering their squad, it's not all that surprising to miss one tournament but two of the last three when the middle iteration won a trophy is weird.

Not that long ago the Dutch missed out on two tourneys in a row. Again, their talent level was well off from their talent-laden squads of the past. But The Netherlands is really not that big of a country in the first place so it's insane that they've been producing such talent for so many decades now. They only have 17 mil people.

There's quite a few Canadian players that could make an Italy 23 man squad right now and probably at least two could be in the starting XI. It depends on the coach though.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 12:56 AM

Congrats Team Canada. Well done.

Fun team to watch! Crowd was great.

WC here we go.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 1:13 AM

This is Canada's golden generation. Belgium is in theirs right now and has been going since at least 2014. Let's hope we can do some damge in Qatar and win a Gold Cup too.

I don't think anyone would describe the 1986 team as a golden generation but basically Canada has three vintage teams now. If you were to hang those posters on your wall it would look something like this. To be updated though after Qatar 2022. The current squad has so many interations that it's hard to find a pic with their best XI. And even then, it could be highly debatable. The pic below doesn't even have Larin in it.

An excellent example of a golden generation team where the XI best were as close to unanimous as could be is England at Euro 2004. Their current sqaud could easily be a golden generation as well, but it's so close to the past one that it doesn't feel like it even though the current squad is probably more technically sound. Plus, the current players aren't as flashy or dramatic in public.

If you did a Canada all time 23 man roster, surely more than half the squad would be members of team right now. It would be a really fun exercise to put that mythical team together.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....1986-world-cup

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2015/07/16/...2000-gold-cup/

https://www.chinadailyhk.com/article/249228

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football...otball-history

Can use this as our wallpaper for the time being:

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/st...atar-1.1777295

And some love for this team too:

https://humbernews.ca/2021/07/canada...2020-olympics/

Last edited by megadude; Mar 28, 2022 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 1:46 PM
arf

Felt like a match yesterday. Just great energy in the crowd.

Great crowd, great result.

Hats off to the team for a brilliant year of play.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 2:10 PM
the first stamp is free

The game and crowd was amazing to watch.

Is there a story or tradition behind the end of game drum "ceremony" that the team did at centre field with the crowd? It was amazing to watch.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 2:15 PM
ハルウララ

Great match, great atmosphere, great performance. So proud of this team and where they've come from. Very much looking forward to Qatar,

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada