HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 8:49 PM

Anyone going to the Wolf Parade show on Saturday? Quobobo, you get tickets?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
Anyone going to the Wolf Parade show on Saturday? Quobobo, you get tickets?
Wish I was going. I'll be outta town

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 5:49 AM

Yep, barring any problems with DucatKing delivering the presale ticket list to the venue (I've heard mixed reports :/) Wolf Parade is go. Should be a fantastic show, all the stuff they played from AMZ at the last show here was great live...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 4:33 PM

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the show because I'm going to a stag party that night (as best man I don't think I'll be able to weasel out of it).

I was at the last show at Richards and it was great... except for the guy behind me who took off his shirt midway through the set and started waving it over his head while jumping up and down shouting "come-on everyone, rock out!". Hopefully that wasn't one of you guys.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 7:33 PM

Quote:
I was at the last show at Richards and it was great... except for the guy behind me who took off his shirt midway through the set and started waving it over his head while jumping up and down shouting "come-on everyone, rock out!". Hopefully that wasn't one of you guys.
Was that guy slightly to the right of the centre of the stage, pretty close to the band... and was he the same guy who was yelling "I KNEW DAN IN HIGHSCHOOL AND NOW HE'S A ROCKSTAR!"?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 8:10 PM
BANNED

When is Richards On Richards due to be torn down? It looks ugly in the delapidated state it's in which is a shame cause it used to be a wonderful venue; now all you see there on a Friday night is drunken kids fighting

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
Was that guy slightly to the right of the centre of the stage, pretty close to the band... and was he the same guy who was yelling "I KNEW DAN IN HIGHSCHOOL AND NOW HE'S A ROCKSTAR!"?
That sounds like the general area where he was. He was a shorter white guy who looked out of place. He looked like a frat boy.

I think he broke every concert etiquette rule out there, including but not limited to:
-shouting out requests
-buying the band's shirt then putting it on at the show
-taking the shirt off and waving it around "towel power" style
-pushing into the crowd (without the shirt on)
-putting girls on his shoulders
-doing the "wooooooo!" scream for any/all quiet parts of the show
-trying to get the people to "rock out" with him then harassing them when they wouldn't

Let me know if there's anyone fitting this description at the Commodore show

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 11:53 PM

That is amazing. I noticed the request-shouting, the constant "WOOOOOOOOO"s, and the shirtless guy but I was far enough away that I could mostly ignore it and didn't realize it was all one person. My consolations!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 6:23 PM

How was Wolf Parade on Saturday? Shirtless guy make an appearance?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 6:33 PM

Micheal White and The White - August 8th Commadore Ballroom.

Best Led Zeppelin tribute band out there.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 7:21 AM

Quote:
How was Wolf Parade on Saturday? Shirtless guy make an appearance?
Sorry, I missed your comment until now. The Wolf Parade show was pretty good, but there were no real standouts (although I think that may just be my indifference towards At Mount Zoomer showing). I wasn't up front, but from what I saw the crowd was pretty reserved and there thankfully wasn't anyone as bad as the shirtless guy.

Les Savy Fav tonight was great, although the crowd really wasn't. Ridiculous amounts of moshing and pent-up testosterone - when Tim Harrington was wandering through the crowd during We'll Make a Lover of You, he kissed some girl and her boyfriend tweaked. He shoved Tim as hard as he could, then when some other guy tried to pull him away he started throwing fists (at the guy who pulled him away, not Tim). 20-30 people tried to get a security guard's attention to no avail, and eventually the fight broke up and the dick left trailing a very, very embarrassed girlfriend.

Worth missing the fireworks for!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 11:18 PM

^Sounds like a good show to me

I was driving up to Pemberton that evening so I missed out on that and the fireworks.

Anyone else here go to Pemberton? I just went to the Sunday portion and had a great time. I'm like a kid in a candy store at those festivals. Jay-Z would be my choice for best act. I had high expectations for his show after the Glastonbury reviews and I'd say he exceeded them. The crowd's energy for that show was electric.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 12:13 AM

I was up there for Saturday. After talking to people who went up on Friday, my expectations were that it was going to be complete chaos, so I was prepared to be disappointed. Overall it was pretty good.

Maybe it was just the BC bud and brews that were circulating, but everyone seemed pretty chill, and I didn’t see much violence (like I’ve seen at Merritt and Peachfest).

My Morning jacket rocked. Sam Roberts and the Hip were both good, although I’d seen them before. I missed most of Flaming Lips but heard it was disappointing. And Petty was a great way to end the night.

There were some definite issues that they are going to have to address if this is going to be a regular event, mostly the traffic, which was awful pretty much all weekend. The dust was horrible too. Can't comment on the camping since I stayed in Whistler, but overall everyone I know said they had a good time.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 2:08 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I went to Pemberton and had an absolute blast. The music was good, but what really made it for me was the location and the people. Tent City was pure madness. There must have been at least a dozen parties going on within a 5 minute walk of my tent after the shows had ended on Saturday night. I've never seen such density within a camp site.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 5:51 AM

Unbelievable time up there! music and atmosphere were great.

Top acts in my mind:
My Morning Jacket
Coldplay
Tom Petty
Wolfmother
Jay-Z
Sam Roberts Band
Airborne Toxic Event

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 3:27 PM

radiohead TONIGHT!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 4:25 PM

^ It's gonna be a good one. I'm hoping the rain stays away.

Anyone have any ideas of where to park down there? Last time I was there for a concert Thunderbird wasn't surrounded by condos.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 8:15 PM

Yea i was thinkin that too, but im just gona drive down to the stadium and figure it out, shouldnt be to difficult. definitely supposed to rain, and its gona be windy 2.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Neil Young plays Vancouver

Vancouver Sun

Published: Monday, August 18, 2008

Music icon Neil Young and his band will perform at GM Place Oct. 22. Wilco and Death Cab for Cutie are slated to open. Tickets, $48 to $248, go on sale Friday, 10 a.m. at Tickemaster.

The concerts will feature Young with the same band that backed him during his recent European tour - Ben Keith, Rick Rosas, Chad Cromwell, Anthony Crawford and Pegi Young. Song sets are expected to be eclectic, featuring both newer material and classic Neil Young hits.
Interesting choice of opening acts at this show. I'd be tempted to go just to see them... if it wasn't so expense.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 9:12 PM

While I'm here I might as well mention a couple of other shows.

Sigur Rós @ The Chan Centre for the Performing Arts
October 7th

I heard about this show too late so I guess I'll have to look for scalped tickets closer to the date. In my defense I think I was out of town when the show was announced.

Fleet Foxes @ Richards on Richards
September 16th

Tickets for this show are only $15 + s/c. If you haven't heard of them you should check them out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment