HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 7:38 PM
Closed account

Crime Data

I find this topic interesting. Did you know there were twice as many homicides in Austin in 1985 than in 2005? What makes it even more surprising is the city had more than 250,000 less people in what was a much smaller geographic area.

Or that as recently as 1995 Austin's violent crime rate was more than 50% higher than it was in 2005?

This link has tons of interesting crime statistics.
http://www.disastercenter.com/texas/crime/13504.htm

Last edited by Scottolini; Jul 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:03 PM
Closed account

I think what I find most interesting is that these statistics do not match what most people would think. When people talk about Austin, many times they look back with rose-colored glasses. Austin used to be a much more crime-ridden city, and it is only recently the crime rate has dropped so significantly.

I believe the drop in crime correlates to the huge economic fortunes Austin has experienced in the last 15 years or so. Hopefully we can continue to experience such good times, because I think unfortunately the crime rate will explode in this city if we have we have an extended recession. This will probably take a lot of people by surprise, because many seem to think that because Austin has a low crime rate now, then it always has and will. We'll see what the future holds.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
I find this topic interesting. Did you know there were twice as many homicides in Austin in 1985 than in 2005? What makes it even more surprising is the city had more than 250,000 less people in what was a much smaller geographic area.
Interesting... Couple of questions come to mind right away: How big was geographic area these stats were taken? Were crimes in 1985 committed just outside of Austin's city limits (and therefore not counted) which may have been smaller in 85? How bad was recession in 1985. I think I've heard crime is directly proportional to economy.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:05 AM

Austin fudges on its crime stats...Nearly everynight the news reports a murder and yet the story starts with" Austin has recorded its eight murder"..blah, blah, blah..If someone is killed one foot outside the city limits , Austin won't claim that murder...Crime stats should be metro driven, like true population numbers.. I think things would look so rosy.. Some of our nearest neighbors are getting very dangerous..

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:11 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman
Austin fudges on its crime stats...Nearly everynight the news reports a murder
What news have you been watching? I keep track of the murders in Austin. To date, there have been 11 murders inside the city limits, 15 in Travis County and 20 in the metro.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 8:01 PM

Then there have been 20 murders in Austin...A city is it's metro area...Everyone talks about Austin metro surpassing SA's metro...How many people live in Atlanta??? 400,000+ or 5 million plus....The latter is the true number...Austin is a metro area...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 8:21 PM
Meh

True, and I see your point. I thought you were stating APD lies about the numbers, not true, murders and any crime in Austin are rare, and when it does happen, it's pretty big news.

I keep a chart and map on the data. I'll update it soon and post it.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 8:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
any crime in Austin are rare, and when it does happen, it's pretty big news.
Each year there are tens of thousands of crimes reported in Austin. Several thousand of those are violent crimes. You consider that rare? Hmm.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 9:15 PM
Closed account

I assume you're saying in comparison to other a lot of other cities. But that's like saying that someone 50 lbs. overweight isn't fat, because a lot of his peers are 150 lbs. overweight. Well, congrats on not letting yourself go like those other guys, but it don't mean you're skinny.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 7:33 AM

Last week, I heard that there was a double murder in West Campus, a neighborhood I am moving into next month. Apparently, one was a student in the architecture school with me at UT.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwill89 View Post
Last week, I heard that there was a double murder in West Campus, a neighborhood I am moving into next month. Apparently, one was a student in the architecture school with me at UT.
Neighborhood college dealer got shot by someone he had fronted pot to and couldn't pay. It's a relatively safe area. Biggest problem is homeless who haunt the drag.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 3:50 PM

Did anyone read the article about the "punch and runs" on 6th this week? The article said that APD has stats on clubs that gang members frequent. I sure would like that list published!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 7:27 PM
Closed account

PUBLIC SAFETY
Gang link suspected in unprovoked 'punch-and-runs' on Sixth Street

Police will boost presence to help combat, prevent assaults.

By Tony Plohetski
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Thursday, July 30, 2009

As the bars closed and he was heading home, police said Henry became a random victim to an increasing crime there: a punch-and-run.
"He completely blind-sided me," said Henry, 21, who suffered a fractured skull during the July 18 assault that put him in intensive care and has changed his plans to return to college next month. "We were just waiting for our ride."
Austin police said they have received at least eight reports this year in which Sixth Street revelers were punched in the head or mouth, unprovoked, while standing on the sidewalk or walking down the street. The attackers fled.

Investigators said Wednesday that they think prospective gang members may be responsible for some of the assaults, using the punch-and-runs as part of their initiations.

In a high-profile punch-and-run this year, 21-year-old Nikolas Evans died after he was struck, fell and hit his head on the ground. Police this month arrested and charged Eric Skeeter, 28, with manslaughter.
But investigators said other Sixth Street revelers have received broken jaws, had their teeth knocked out or been left unconscious.
In one instance in April, a tourist from Pennsylvania was punched after responding "yes" when a suspect asked him if he was in the military, according to police reports.
Noble said that he thinks it is possible the number of punch-and-runs may be higher, but that some victims may have had outstanding warrants or been intoxicated and not reported the crimes.
He said that prior to the assault on Evans in March, police received two unconfirmed reports about punch-and-runs from witnesses.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...0730punch.html

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 7:35 PM
Closed account

From other reports the area right around 6th & Neches seems to be "punch'n run" central. Keep your eyes open if you're in the area around closing time.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Neighborhood college dealer got shot by someone he had fronted pot to and couldn't pay. It's a relatively safe area. Biggest problem is homeless who haunt the drag.

Haha. I am well aware since I often walk WC streets in a less than sober state. But I was really surprised at the news of a double murder.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 10:34 PM
Closed account

Here's the story from the Statesman.

PUBLIC SAFETY
Police tie motive to drugs

Suspect in double killing owed UT grad money, authorities say.

By Andrea Lorenz, Marty Toohey
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Monday, July 27, 2009
Family and friends described slain University of Texas graduate John Goosey as a bright young man who was contemplating law school and marriage to his college sweetheart, but police say Goosey was also a midlevel drug distributor who was bringing in "substantial amounts" of marijuana, repackaging it and selling it to others.

Last week, Goosey's two worlds collided when one of his drug dealers shot him and Stacy Barnett in the head in the West Campus condo that the couple shared, according to an arrest affidavit and reports Sunday from Austin police officers.

http://www.statesman.com/search/cont...id=inform_artr

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Did anyone read the article about the "punch and runs" on 6th this week? The article said that APD has stats on clubs that gang members frequent. I sure would like that list published!
Yes saw that, disturbing.....

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 2:54 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
Each year there are tens of thousands of crimes reported in Austin. Several thousand of those are violent crimes. You consider that rare? Hmm.
Property crime is horrible in this city. It's everywhere.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 3:17 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

I work at a hotel in the Arboretum area and I am so damn sick and tired of all of the vehicle break ins that occur in our parking lot Guess who they come and take it out on!!!!! ME

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 2:52 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLove View Post
I work at a hotel in the Arboretum area and I am so damn sick and tired of all of the vehicle break ins that occur in our parking lot Guess who they come and take it out on!!!!! ME
Yep...and at a gym in the Arboretum area, people will circle for 20 minutes in order to get a parking spot close to the front door, as there have been so many break-ins. But an employee at the gym told me that the break-ins have happened right in front of everyone. I also heard there was a police sting operation there (good!).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin