HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 26, 2015, 8:35 AM
A before E

I like it, makes me jealous of what the campus is starting to look like now because it didn't look this good when I was going there.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 9:26 PM

Supplementary drawings [PDF - 28MB] for the School of BA. It seemed like they were getting close to approval at the least hearing, so this might take them there.

EDIT - and here is the Staff Report, which recommends approval.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Last edited by maccoinnich; Jul 31, 2015 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 7:34 PM

SRG Partnership have applied for building permits for the PSU School of Business Administration:

Quote:
40,000 Sf multi-story addition, renovation of 52,000SF existing

Reroute on site utilities, demo on site portion of sky bridge, remove exerior cladding of existing building, interior demolition. ***40,000 SF multi-story addition, renovation of 52,000SF existing***

foundation and walls to grade of pavilion/atrium, cladding of existing building, ***40,000 SF multi-story addition, renovation of 52,000SF existing***

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 3:21 PM

The Design Commission approved the School of Business Administration yesterday.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The Design Commission approved the School of Business Administration yesterday.
awesome news!!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 7:53 PM

I recently skimmed the first few pages of this thread, which dates back to 2006. At the time there was a lot of anger about the low architectural ambitions of PSU.

I'm glad to see this change. For the School of Business administration they awarded the design contract to an internationally famous architecture firm, who've come up with a really fantastic design. The Viking Pavilion looks like it will wind up being a massive improvement on what's there too.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 11:56 PM
A before E

Quote:
I recently skimmed the first few pages of this thread, which dates back to 2006. At the time there was a lot of anger about the low architectural ambitions of PSU.

I'm glad to see this change. For the School of Business administration they awarded the design contract to an internationally famous architecture firm, who've come up with a really fantastic design. The Viking Pavilion looks like it will wind up being a massive improvement on what's there too.
Yeah, the school has really stepped up their game in recent years. I feel like it is on its way into becoming a great looking campus and a college that could become a strong third college in the state. It also makes me a bit jealous, I would much rather be young and going to PSU today than when I went to it years ago.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Portland State University tantalized by $100 million gift that vanished

Portland State University administrators hoped to unveil the largest gift in the school's 69-year history Tuesday, a bombshell $100 million anonymous donation.

Portland State had invited Gov. Kate Brown and Portland Mayor Charlie Hales to a Tuesday morning news conference announcing the unrestricted contribution by a man described as a former student. The gift would have almost doubled the school's endowment and supported students, faculty and research.

But the festive mood on the South Park Blocks soured when the would-be benefactor did not deliver. Two days after the planned announcement, the $100 million windfall still hasn't materialized in the PSU Foundation's bank account.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 11:22 PM
A before E

That is just a lame let down, who proposes to give a college that much money only to not follow through?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 11:26 PM

Reading through this reddit thread, a crazy guy would seem to be the answer.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 11:44 PM

Anyway... Final Findings and Decision by the Design Commission [PDF] for the School of Business Administration.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 3:46 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Anyway... Final Findings and Decision by the Design Commission [PDF] for the School of Business Administration.
No link....

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 4:13 AM

This time with attachment.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 8:02 AM
Karma Police

Thanks Mac. The site's already fenced off.... has been for over a week. They're not wasting any time on this one.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 7:59 PM

The first building permit for the PSU School of Business Administration was issued to SRG Partnership:

Quote:
Reroute on site utilities, demo on site portion of sky bridge, remove exerior cladding of existing building, interior demolition.***40,000 SF multi-story addition, renovation of 52,000SF existing***

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Portland State embarks on new $63M School of Business Administration

Portland State University will triple the size of its School of Business Administration with a $62 million project that breaks ground today.

The project will renovate the SBA's existing 52,000-square-foot building and also add a 38,000-square-foot new building onto the existing structure's north side. Set to wrap up in 2017, the project will add and redesign classrooms and add a five-story atrium, study rooms, event space and common areas to accommodate the state's largest business school, which now has more than 3,500 students.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Photos: PSU business school project in full swing

A project to upgrade the home of Portland State University’s School of Business Administration will include the renovation of more than 100,000 square feet and an addition totaling 38,000 square feet.

General contractor Skanska began work on the project’s first phase in August with partial demolition of the building’s west side, which formerly housed the university’s Graduate School of Education. That portion of the building has been reduced to its structural elements and is being modernized with new HVAC, electrical, plumbing and communications systems, exterior walls and windows.

The business school will relocate into the west side upon completion of renovations in September 2016, allowing the project’s second phase to begin with demolition and modernization of the building’s east side.

...continues at the DJC (no paywall).

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 5:25 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Such a wonky piece of architecture.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 8:54 PM

School of Business Administration

Despite all the years I've lived in Portland, today was the first time I've been on one of the PSU skybridges.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Smith 2020

BUILDING ADVISORY COMMITTEE PURSUES REFERENDUM FOR FEE INCREASE TO OVERHAUL STUDENT UNION

Jumbled days of being lost in the catacombs of Smith Memorial Student Union may be numbered. Members of Smith Advisory Board, with help from the Student Fee Committee and the Smith 2020 steering committee, plan to solve the aging building’s woes.

Built in four stages beginning in 1950 and concluding in 1960, SMSU has served as the central hub of activity on campus for students and faculty for the last 66 years. The building might be on its last legs, as infrastructural issues have plagued the building’s operations since its inception.

“Its time has come and gone,” said Alex Accetta, PSU’s executive director of campus recreation. “It just doesn’t meet what our campus and students expect of our university. It’s not sustainable. It’s not accessible. It’s not inclusive. It’s falling apart.”
...continues at the PSU Vanguard.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Feb 28, 2016 at 5:30 AM. Reason: whoa big image

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland