HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 8:26 PM

Pile drivers now on site for this new LSUHSC campus building. Tulane avenue directly across form LSU Academic hospital site (Which appears to be moving with some steam now)

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 11:05 PM
-

Has anyone been able to find out if this is the design they are using still? Seems dated.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 2:53 PM

Italian Pie owners

So I was at the Italian Pie on Prytania last night (again) taking advantage of the 3 for 1 happy hour... and was talking with a friend who said that the owners are going to convert that ugly white building at 3629 Prytania (the one I posted about a few days ago that filed a $900,000 permit) into a mexican or sante fe themed restaurant. The cool part to me is that they're going to take the whole upstairs and make it the bar.

I don't know how my friend knows this...so don't act like it's super reliable since he's in law school and I'm not aware of any connections he has to them, but it's plausible.

I'm glad to see that stretch of Prytania / St. Charles turning into a mini / medium sized entertainment stretch.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
So I was at the Italian Pie on Prytania last night (again) taking advantage of the 3 for 1 happy hour... and was talking with a friend who said that the owners are going to convert that ugly white building at 3629 Prytania (the one I posted about a few days ago that filed a $900,000 permit) into a mexican or sante fe themed restaurant. The cool part to me is that they're going to take the whole upstairs and make it the bar.

I don't know how my friend knows this...so don't act like it's super reliable since he's in law school and I'm not aware of any connections he has to them, but it's plausible.

I'm glad to see that stretch of Prytania / St. Charles turning into a mini / medium sized entertainment stretch.
If indeed it does become a Santa Fe themed restaurant that would be great, assuming they serve New Mexican food. For those who have never had authentic green chile, it's absolutely better than Tex-Mex.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 5:05 PM

And Superior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post

Isn't Superior like a block away? I'm not a guru on Mexican food, but it tastes good to me.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Has anyone been able to find out if this is the design they are using still? Seems dated.
I think this is probably it. There is a second building planned next door with a rendering posted that is a much nicer, modern design by mathes-brierre but hasn't broken ground yet. It is listed on their website but the rendering isn't posted online anywhere just out in front of the site.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 5:27 PM

Mexican

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
Isn't Superior like a block away? I'm not a guru on Mexican food, but it tastes good to me.
You are correct. Superior is actually at the St. Charles end of the block that this building is on, but Superior honestly is standard "go to new york city" and get the same exact tex-mex food...the only reason i go is to get drunk on $10 margaritas during happy hour ($10 bucks, but you only need a few).

It'd be nice if this place, if it is mexican or sante fe, if it's more legit..

*** My friend says "southwestern restaurant and bar"***

Last edited by IceCream; Jan 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM. Reason: clarify

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 6:52 PM
-

check out the Entergy building projection system this weekend! Heres a video!

http://vimeo.com/solomongroup/review...362/6b70211b8f

New Items on Bidclerk:

1778673 New Orleans, LA Roads / Highways 01/06/2012
Description Addendum 7 Due to the closer of City Hall January 9, 2012 the bid opening date have change to January 12, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. The City of New Orleans is soliciting bids to landscape Poydras Street from Claiborne Avenue to S. Peters Street. The wor...Click here for complete Project Details

1370167 New Orleans, LA Transportation Terminals 01/06/2012
Description ADVERTISEMENT TO BID Sealed proposals will be received by the Non Flood Protection Asset Management Authority (NFPAMA), 6514 Spanish Fort Boulevard, New Orleans, Louisiana 70124 or send electronic to http://www.bidsync.com until 2:00 p.m., Thursday, ...Click here for complete Project Details

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 4:24 AM
TL;DR

That last one is most likely related to Lakefront Airport.

Poydras streetscaping is nice, but it needs to go beyond flowers and shrubs with substantive changes to the design of the street (curb bumpouts, textured crosswalks) and hopefully a signature lighting solution (streetlights, net lights, uplighting, pylons, etc). Poydras is a modern corridor like Loyola, so no tacky vintage crap here. It shouldn't be historical like Canal.

The WWII museum is probably the best modern streetscape in the city, although I wonder about the maintenance of the uplighting on the trees - that's a lot of fixtures to maintain, especially when placed below ground in a high-rainfall city. But the city's willingness to allow functional changes to the street instead of just window-dressing was very very promising.

Good news about the southwestern restaurant on Prytania. That little area around Touro could be a nice node for restaurants and entertainment - the hospital and other medical offices surround it, so there are no residents who would be directly affected. It would be nice to get some businesses on the side streets instead of just on St. Charles and Prytania. Then it will really gel. The hospital could also offer $1 nighttime parking in their garage, which would allow for more bars/restaurants to open without parking lots.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 10:42 AM

The bid is at the Lakefront Airport. It's for the James Wedell Replacement Hangar.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 2:23 PM

An LSU Landscape Architecture Student's plan for utilizing the existing neutral grounds in the Bayou St. John neighborhood in order to provide passive flood protection was nationally recognized: http://www.asla.org/2011studentawards/185.html

The conceptual project would involve uncovering some of the box culverts under neutral grounds, and increasing the amount of natural vegetation to increase infiltration. Two expanded parks would be created bookending the London Avenue Canal.

This sort of conceptual plans, though likely unaffordable and untenable, are always interesting to me (and as a bonus the City didn't have to pay for a consultant's design study for this one!)

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 1:33 AM
-

Just talked with someone about riverwalk . Huge renovation and many new stores coming . Everyone from Kenneth cole - Betsy Johnson ...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 3:57 AM
TL;DR

I don't know why daylighting the culverts is untenable. The Corps is spending tens of millions to rebuild the box culverts Uptown. Eventually the other ones will need to be replaced, and daylighting might prove to be cheaper than direct replacement. The savings could be used to put in landscape treatments to allow for public access and recreation, and to make it beautiful, unlike the awful ones in Jefferson Parish.

The trick is maintenance. You'd need to prevent dumping and prevent the standing water from breeding mosquitos. You'd also have to plan the new ditches carefully so that they don't prevent future transit lines, trails, or roadway expansion in the neutral ground.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Just talked with someone about riverwalk . Huge renovation and many new stores coming . Everyone from Kenneth cole - Betsy Johnson ...
Great!!!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 7:07 AM

Quote:
This is great!

Has anyone noticed the extensive renovations going on at Jax Brewery? I wonder if they will have new stores as well?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I don't know why daylighting the culverts is untenable. The Corps is spending tens of millions to rebuild the box culverts Uptown. Eventually the other ones will need to be replaced, and daylighting might prove to be cheaper than direct replacement. The savings could be used to put in landscape treatments to allow for public access and recreation, and to make it beautiful, unlike the awful ones in Jefferson Parish.

The trick is maintenance. You'd need to prevent dumping and prevent the standing water from breeding mosquitos. You'd also have to plan the new ditches carefully so that they don't prevent future transit lines, trails, or roadway expansion in the neutral ground.
I definitely agree with you and I didn't mean to sound so defeatist. It's just New Orleans doesn't seem to care about new ways to manage stormwater since the Wood Screw Pump. The Corps does not seem like an agency particularly concerned with innovation -- and definitely not one that is interested in the quality of life effects of their decisions. And when the City needs FEMA money (and thus FEMA approval) for their infrastructure decisions, that's a recipe for doing the same ol' same ol' that the bureaucrats at those agencies know exactly how to rate.

The reality is it's really the box culverts that are untenable. The city will never be able to afford to replace them when they start to fail or to do preventative maintenance on them to extend their lifespans. The city cannot afford to treat the water properly before it runs into the Lake, spoiling the water quality. And during a flood event, processing all the water through the system is untenable as well: you can't move water quick enough and we will continue to have neighborhood street flooding until we learn to handle the water at its source.

As is to be expected, the Pacific Northwest leads the nation in addressing these issues. I though this project in Portland was particularly interesting, where a 7-foot wide and 50-foot long curb extension could process all the stormwater runoff from 10,000-square feet of asphalt hardscape: http://pruned.blogspot.com/2008/02/h...y-in-post.html Here the caveat is (a) the street has a gradient that doesn't exist in New Orleans, (b) the Pac. Northwest has lots of rain but when it comes down it comes down at a much slower rate of accumulation than New Orleans and (c) the system struggles with sediment build-up that must be cleaned. One would expect even more of that in New Orleans and less of a commitment to maintenance. Still, very interesting to see the concept.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 7:16 PM

Great updates - so much happening. It's amazing how well the city is doing now.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 8:03 PM
-

The movie theater at Canal Place will be expanding into spots currently occupied by sbarro, southern rep theater, rino etc

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:
The movie theater at Canal Place will be expanding into spots currently occupied by sbarro, southern rep theater, rino etc
Sounds great, but will they abandon the current location? Or will it take up both sides of the mall?

If it's the second option, that might be awkward having the facility split in half by the elevators.

Either way, it's a step towards a real downtown multi-plex!

P.S. I hope Southern Rep can move into the Orpheum or the State Palace Theater... but that's just a dream.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 11:36 PM

City Park

Saw on the news this morning, this year City Park will be replacing the roof of the Peristyle and restoring the lions. They will also be installing a LED lighting system on the columns!!

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=nzx...=o&form=LMLTCC

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations