HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 10:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

Isn't an Arcade proposed for the City Centre?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Isn't an Arcade proposed for the City Centre?
Wasn't it a bowling alley?

I think this "arcade" is going to be a nightclub with an arcade theme.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 11:18 PM

^A real arcade would be craze-amaze.

There is a not-so-insignificant contingent of people in my age bracket who never really moved beyond Ms Pac-Man, Pong and Space Invaders. We tend to stay out of the public eye but we do exist and we'd be thrilled if such a venue were to open. To be able to play our games in public and not hidden away in some dingy, fetid little basement would be liberating, to say the least.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 12:53 AM
Hammer'd

Pretty sure that bowling alley entertainment thing for the city centre died quietly awhile ago. I'd imagine this is something different.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
This article, about the former Ward One city councillor taking a job with a planning firm, makes mention of "a proposed 10-storey condo development in the Main and Margaret area."
From twitter:
Strathcona Community ‏@hamiltonscc
Strathcona Community Meeting re http://390mainwest.com (at Margaret)–Proposed Condo Dev't - April 7, 7PM, Zion United Church, Napier Street

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 5:30 PM

This may be old news, but I just saw on twitter that the Beasley Park Towns have sold out.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Pretty sure that bowling alley entertainment thing for the city centre died quietly awhile ago.
I was hoping there was still a chance of the Thunder Alley project opening this summer.
It was an interesting idea but 40,000 sq ft and $3.5 million was pretty ambitious for a location in the basement of the City Centre Mall.

"Thunder Alley is Hamilton’s newest family entertainment centre, equipped with bowling lanes, arcade games, corporate rooms, full bar and food menu."

Source:fpm3.com

There was also a permit issued for a Ping-Pong bar on the 2nd floor of the old Spectator building on King St. E.

105 King St E
14-119696-00 Billiard Room Alteration Issued
Description
Alterations to the 2nd floor of the 3-storey commercial building to create "PING PONG LOUNGE"

"Serve is a new establishment located in downtown Hamilton that mixes both ping pong tennis with a lounge atmosphere. This lounge is bringing a new concept to the downtown area, along with what the owners describe as the best social experience in the city."
Source: http://provoke.revupgroup.com/portfo...ng-bar-lounge/

Now news of Arcade... and I didn't know a 'barcade' was even a concept.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 11:09 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

An indoor paintball would be cool for Thunder Alley.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 12:17 AM

First I've heard/seen of that Serve Ping Pong place. How long ago was it announced? Or is it still just a "concept" that will probably never see the light of day?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 2:21 AM
Hammer'd

I first heard about it a few months ago. It's supposed to be going in at the old Spectator building on King.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I first heard about it a few months ago. It's supposed to be going in at the old Spectator building on King.
Isn't that where Co/Motion (http://www.comotiononking.com/) is going in though? It's a big building so maybe they will both coexist.

EDIT: Sounds like you're right: http://www.thespec.com/news-story/52...ssance-begins/

"As examples, he notes plans to turn the former Hamilton Spectator building across the street from the Connaught into a Ping-Pong bar, shared workspace and rooftop garden facility"

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 8:01 PM

James North restaurant Mex-I-Can forced to close its doors Sunday

Hamilton Spectator By Molly Hayes

James North's favourite 'resortaurant' will host its last supper Sunday.

Family-run Mex-I-Can is closing down this weekend, and the building — at 107 James St. N. — is potentially coming down.

Property co-owner Mark Milne says demolition wasn't their plan when he and seven partners bought the building back in late 2013. They still don't know for sure if demolition is required, as they are awaiting an inspection report from engineers they expect to receive Monday.

The building is part of a stretch of that block (from 95-109 James. St. N.) owned by the group — which includes record company Sonic Unyon co-owners Tim Potocic and Milne.

Milne says when they bought the buildings just over a year ago they had a "frank discussion" with the restaurant owners about the shape of the aging one-storey building — and that they were well aware there were problems with the aging space.

Last week, concerned about unexpected problems they discovered through their renovations on the neighbouring properties, Milne says they called in engineers to inspect the structure.

"We've been talking about this for a long time … when we first bought the building they knew the building would need extensive repairs … now the time has come," Milne says.

He wouldn't say if the building presents any safety concerns for the restaurant or the public.

Veronica Sanchez, head chef at Mex-I-Can said she and her staff are "very surprised and very sad and worried" about the impending closure.

"It was out of the blue, it was a surprise for everybody. I mean, it's a huge bomb … usually you give a person two weeks' notice, but it was just out of the blue," she said Friday.

"It's overwhelming."

After Sunday — without a new location — she says they are all out of a job.

"I can't even call them our staff, we're like a family … we have a team and it's so sad because it's very difficult in any business to have a team how we had. And all of a sudden it's just broken," she says.

"Imagine how they feel. They still have to pay their bills just like us, but they don't have a job now."

Milne says he and his partners have been calling around to help the restaurant find a new location.

Sanchez says they hope to start a crowd-funding campaign to help with the relaunch.

But right now she says they all feel too "numb" to think about that — on top of the sudden closure, the restaurant is also participating in the Food and Drink show this weekend.

Milne says he feels for the Mex-I-Can team, whom he described as "good souls."

He is hopeful they'll find a new location for the restaurant and that the community will rally around them.

"I hope what is a bad news story now will turn out to be a good news story down the line," he says.

mhayes@thespec.com

905-526-3214 | @MollyatTheSpec

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 10:10 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Sad for the people, but not the restaurant. I think I tried to eat there once but just couldn't feel the cleanliness was up to snuff.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Sad for the people, but not the restaurant. I think I tried to eat there once but just couldn't feel the cleanliness was up to snuff.
http://www.hamontfood.com/premises/D...4-E6CD4574B25E

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 2:28 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
The number of reds and yellows is not encouraging.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 11:46 PM
Hammer'd

According to dp.Ai's instagram page, they're working on the Good Shepherd building at Cannon and Mary to turn it into apartment space (probably everything above the first floor where the food bank and such is). Made me really glad to read about that, it's a huge building that's long been neglected and underused. I hope Good Shepherd is making them affordable units.

https://instagram.com/dpai_architects/

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:40 AM

Visit Downtown Hamilton Drone Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...4o&app=desktop

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 1:13 PM

My work just moved offices to 144 James Street South. Anyone know the history of the building?

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Visit Downtown Hamilton Drone Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...4o&app=desktop
At the 50 second mark there is a shot from the Century 21 building looking east. It shows quite a development potential, with a sea of parking lots.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
My work just moved offices to 144 James Street South. Anyone know the history of the building?
The stone terraces (142-160 James Street South) were built in 1854, the same era as St. Paul's Presbyterian and Sandyford Place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton