HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Avalon West Chelsea in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 9:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
Balconies went out in the 90s. Good riddance.
You may not like the way they look on the outside, but would you really want to live in a highrise unit without a balcony? And they haven't gone out of style at all in Canada. Nearly 100% of newer towers are covered in balconies. It's extraordinarily rare in fact that they aren't.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
You may not like the way they look on the outside, but would you really want to live in a highrise unit without a balcony? And they haven't gone out of style at all in Canada. Nearly 100% of newer towers are covered in balconies. It's extraordinarily rare in fact that they aren't.
New York City is actually used to not having balconies. Apartments are balcony free. Even the Beekman Tower has no balconies.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 6:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
New York City is actually used to not having balconies. Apartments are balcony free. Even the Beekman Tower has no balconies.
I know that. I guess they're not an important amenity there. For me they're absolutely crucial. In fact, I decided I had to have my current apartment when I was viewing it and saw the size of the balcony/terrace.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 1:48 AM

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 5:55 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

today

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 6:00 PM

This thing seems to be going at a snails pace. Perhaps they'll pick up when they start pouring concrete?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
That's not really true- at least it wasn't from the late 60's through the early 90's, especially on the UES/UWS; there are dozens of towers with balconies

all images cityrealty.com

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 11:41 PM

I think the prevailing attitude among NYers who have an opinion on it is that terraces are far superior to balconies. Post war stuff like white brick and balconies are generally seen as inferior. Terraces in particular are regarded as much more "authentically" New York style because of the 1916 zoning resolution which created the setback silhouette of so many buildings.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
I think the prevailing attitude among NYers who have an opinion on it is that terraces are far superior to balconies. Post war stuff like white brick and balconies are generally seen as inferior. Terraces in particular are regarded as much more "authentically" New York style because of the 1916 zoning resolution which created the setback silhouette of so many buildings.
That's true for the upper classes in Manhattan and I'm certainly not arguing aesthetics here, but the idea that balconies are uncommon in NYC is baloney. Outside Manhattan Fred Trump also built dozens of middle class highrises in Bklyn/Qns/Bx with balconies. People still pay good money for them- not 1% money but still....

Riverdale, BX

nytimes

Flushing, Qns

about.com

On Prospect Park

joemygod

I could go on and on but I've derailed this thread enough

Last edited by Inkoumori; Nov 29, 2012 at 12:23 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 3:54 AM

This one seems to be moving quite slow, which is strange because there are usually an army of workers on site.

(photos by me)

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
This one seems to be moving quite slow, which is strange because there are usually an army of workers on site...
I've noticed that as well. Always workers on site, but almost no progress. This is about as uninteresting a design as is humanly possible, but this part of Chelsea just needs residents as it's still pretty run down.

Great updates, all the way from Chelsea from to Midtown.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 4:51 PM

Looks like progress is (slowly) being made. Looks like a foundation slab has finally been poured in the western portion of the site.

(photos by me)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 2:41 AM

Alvalon Chelsea is starting!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 7:47 PM

I am glad that this area is getting some new development. But IMO, once this area takes off I think this will be a heavy behemoth that sticks out like a soar thumb.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 7:51 PM

This isn't any taller than Chelsea +art across the st on the lowrise portion (which will be blocked by a pair of towers flanking the highline also on 28th st). And the tower portion is shorter than both Ohm and the RAMS at 40th st, so I think the renderings just don't give it good scale.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 10:53 PM

Oh gosh, this thing is taking off quickly for being stalled for so much time.

(taken by me today)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 11:25 PM

Finally... This neighborhood just needs residents, and this project will address that in a huge way.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 4:05 AM

Wow I can't believe how fast they are going suddenly. Finally!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 4:18 PM

3 floors out of 14 in a week and a half. This thing will be done with pouring by the end of March.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 6:36 PM
BANNED

These kind of utilitarian projects are aesthetically banal and only good for increasing density of residents and the vibrancy of the area. They don't offer anything to the streetscape other than filling in a hole with a marginally acceptable building and perhaps more people on the street. Same with the Gotham project. I think NY needs to move away from the red-brick warehouse look for these kind of buildings, it is getting rather dull and repetitive. There is too much red brick in NYC and too many industrial style designs IMO. I'd like to see different materials and tones used for these kind of projects. I find the developers or architects going a very safe route here, too safe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive