HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 5:09 AM

I agree with you Plinko. While looking at all those photos of Creek City in downtown Salt Lake City...I thought - Scottsdale Fashion Square in downtown Salt lake City. I think the development in S.L. city is very pretty. If you want thousands of people in metro Phoenix to say, "let's go shopping downtown..." you need to have a development like the one in Salt Lake City. The only people City Scape in Phoenix are going to attract are the people staying in the hotels downtown ...and/or people going to a Suns or DBacks game. I think it is a big "zero" compared to Salt Lake City. I grew up in the northeast Valley - Scottsdale/Paradise Valley...I remember as a young boy going to Park Central...then, Thomas Mall...then, Fashion Square & the Biltmore. When I was a kid..Fashion Square was just Goldwaters and A.J. Bayless(groceries). When The Biltmore & Fashion Square really took off - like Saks fith Ave at the Biltmore and adding Sakowitz in 1973 at Fashion Square...who would/why go to downtown Phoenix? Other than going to Brophy my freshman and sophomore years in high school - going to downtown Phoenix was like going to the moon. Why?!? I was born in St. Joes Hospital. Yet, I know more about downtown Phoenix now than I ever did while growing up in Arizona. I appreciate the old there now...and have invested there - but, I am disappointed how it is progressing...in its rebirth. Or, the lack of progression. Let's face it...there is a lot of prejudice regarding downtown Phoenix. Living in California for as long as I have...I think it isn't so bad...but, family and friends that live there in the Valley think I'm stupid for investing in "South Phoenix." Uh, 4th Ave south of Roosevelt- north of Mckinley ...south Phoenix?!? And as I have said before...so many people think asu is building the (UofA) medical school downtown...or, that "downtown" is the corner of Camelback and Central. When I was growiing up - that corner was called "uptown." For a city of 1.5 million and a metro area of 4.2 million ...NOT GOOD! Do you realize that Little Rock, Arkansas - with a METRO population of roughly 400,000 (the same population as Mesa)..Little Rock's tallest building - downtown - is taller than downtown Phoenix's tallest - the Chase Bank Building! Maybe, they should have never zoned to allow tall buildings to go up along Central...Wilshire Blvd - it is not. Maybe, Phoenix then would have a real downtown today.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest