HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 6:38 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Sunburn in November 5: George Town, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

The Caymans were the last stop before heading home across seas that made the ship lurch so badly that water sloshed out of the swimming pools.

Video Link

George Town: Of Wealth and Chickens

Blue water. Terribly, terribly blue water.

That's the national museum over there and it is, like everything in the Caymans except for the bank accounts, tiny. Interesting though, and very professional.

This notice hangs on the wall in a shopping mall and details what kinds of artifacts were found in the "step well" discovered when the mall was being constructed. Don't you wish developers would protect significant finds like this when they come to light?

Sometimes they do. The well is visible through the thick glass floor of a hat store in the mall.

I was not aware until visiting that the Cayman Islands are infested with chickens. Grand Cayman is, at least. They were everywhere, running around downtown.

The remains of Fort George.

The fish was very good, but the yucca was especially delicious.

Just for you fans of construction cranes.

Follow me around the Caribbean!

Florida
Cozumel
Belize
Honduras
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 2:31 PM

Great pictures! Crazy that this hasn't gotten any responses yet. It looks like a wonderful place. And it seems that the place is infested with iguanas as well as chickens.

Most cars are American cars where the driver is on the left, correct? Yet they drive on the left, too. That must be interesting.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 4:52 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Great pictures! Crazy that this hasn't gotten any responses yet. It looks like a wonderful place. And it seems that the place is infested with iguanas as well as chickens.

Most cars are American cars where the driver is on the left, correct? Yet they drive on the left, too. That must be interesting.
The iguana in the parking lot stopped traffic until it finally slithered (do iguanas slither?) under somebody's car.

There were a mix of cars. Seemed about half and half with the steering wheel on the left or right.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 5:15 PM

I've been to the Caymans one time and it's a great beach destination and an interesting place with the mix of British and Caribbean cultures (still a British overseas territory). My relatives in Houston like it because it's only a 2.5 hour nonstop flight to get there with much nicer beaches than Galveston.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 5:27 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
My relatives in Houston like it because it's only a 2.5 hour nonstop flight to get there with much nicer beaches than Galveston.
And chickens. Although, I'm not sure -- maybe there are chickens running around on the beach in Galveston, too.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2012, 10:38 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Nice set. Did you go check out Hell or the turtle farm? Swimming with the tamed sting rays was fun too.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 12:26 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Nice set. Did you go check out Hell or the turtle farm? Swimming with the tamed sting rays was fun too.
Thought about it, but the trip to Hell was a little too expensive and time-consuming just to get a picture of a post office. Didn't have enough money for the stingray excursion either, unfortunately. We mainly just wandered around George Town on our day off the boat.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos