HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 3:39 PM
not a NIMBY

I had a great burger and fries at Model Milk last night. The best $19 burger I have ever eaten! *

* I have never had a $19 burger before but it was much better than an $18 burger I had recently

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I had a great burger and fries at Model Milk last night. The best $19 burger I have ever eaten! *

* I have never had a $19 burger before but it was much better than an $18 burger I had recently
Have you tried the burger at Monki or Downtown Food yet?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 9:22 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
No and no, but I'd like to!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 10:43 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I had the burger at Monki though it was a while back, soon after they opened. It was GORGEOUS with a fried egg done beautifully but the taste was blah. It tasted like a too-thick underseasoned burger- like an attempt to clone the burger at Farm, which is still my fave in Calgary, without the effort to clone the seasoning. Of course they might have perfected it since then. Excellent service as I recall...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
I had the burger at Monki though it was a while back, soon after they opened. It was GORGEOUS with a fried egg done beautifully but the taste was blah. It tasted like a too-thick underseasoned burger- like an attempt to clone the burger at Farm, which is still my fave in Calgary, without the effort to clone the seasoning. Of course they might have perfected it since then. Excellent service as I recall...
I haven't tried Farm yet, for some reason I never think of going there. I really liked Monki's burger and didn't find it blah at all.

Have you tried Downtown Food's burger? I thought I died and gone to burger heaven, second time not so much. Still really good though. I think I might have amped up my expectations the second time around.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
No and no, but I'd like to!
I think you'd like both places. Just don't let the shitty cityscape photos at Downtown Foods ruin your meal.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 11:26 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Il Centro - I don't get it.

So, I have heard a number of people talking about Il Centro. I even have friends who love the place and highly recommend it. MrsInnersoul and I have been meaning to go for sometime but haven't had the chance. We went for lunch yesterday and I must say that I don't see myself going back any time soon.

I have heard good things about the calamari there so I gave it a try. It is described as lightly breaded with a spicy tomato sauce on it. The rings are actually quite large and thick. They are tasty but reminiscent of calamari found in the frozen food aisle. The sauce was actually very tasty I just wish that there was more of it. It was a lot of food for 2 people and would be better to share with 4. Because of the thickness of the calamari it isn't a delicate dish and becomes quite filling very quickly. (price $16)

The pizza scene in Calgary has certainly heated up over the past years, so there is stiff competition. Il Centro serves Roman style pizza. I would describe it as a hybrid, a mix between thin and thick crust. Pizza's come in two sizes: small or large. Our server described the small as 4 slices and the large as 8. In reality the small is about 12 inches (4 HUGE slices) while the large is closer to 16 inches (8 Large slices). We had the large Speciale (ham, artichokes, mushrooms, roasted red peppers) thinking that it would be good for two people given that it was 8 slices. Once again it would be cook for 4 people as 2 slices are quite filling. What really struck me is that the small pizzas cost in the range of $15 to $16 while the large are $28 to $32. It's an expensive pizza pie!

As the server took our order he asked if we liked spicy chilies. I said we did. I guess this constitutes ordering chilies as our pizza came with a side dish of roasted jalapenos. They were good, not really spicy and their flavour characteristics didn't fit with the pizza. Wasn't happy that we were charged $4.50 for something we didn't order.

The pizza was sub-par. There wasn't anything exciting about it. The sauce didn't stand out and the toppings, while plentiful, lacked any flavour. Kristen commented that it tasted much like a frozen pizza, there was nothing that stood out at all.

We washed our pizza and calamari down with a bottle of Peroni each. ($8.50 per bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ) - the menu didn't have prices

Conclusions: To me Il Centro is average AT BEST. The food we had was marginal and lacked anything to warrant a trip back. The pizza really was a disappointing. One of the fancy pizzas from Panago would have been more exciting really. Our bill came to $72.50 before tip which is ridiculous in my mind. Won't be going back any time soon.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 3:24 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

That $4.50 for a side of jalapenos is nuts- I'd expect they bring chili flakes like every other pizza place and they'd be gratis.

Anyway, sad news- my fave local Viet place, Pho Ngon, will have its last day of business on the 30th, next Tuesday. I've been pushing people to this place from day 1 but the owners are older (not ancient but ready to retire) and have been keen to sell for a long time. A deal with a fish and chips place fell through in September but this one looks done and done. It'll be Mexican, which should be (or could be) awesome, but man, I'll miss their satay chicken on rice and the most beautiful spicy beef salad rolls with real basil, not just crappy iceberg lettuce, inside. 1439 17th Ave SW if anybody wants to send them off. Amazingly nice people with incredibly good food.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 1:59 PM

Damn... just started going there a couple of weeks ago based on your post... the sate chicken was indeed excellent...

So, where is the next best option....?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:44 PM
not a NIMBY

a new brew!

Vagabond Brewery @ 1129 Olympic Way - is that in arriVa? Not sure when they are opening.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Vagabond Brewery @ 1129 Olympic Way - is that in arriVa? Not sure when they are opening.
Yup. It's the Old Olive's location. From the glimpes I've caught when the doors are open, it appears that they will be brewing bear in ArriVa or cooking meth.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 10:54 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker_mw View Post
Damn... just started going there a couple of weeks ago based on your post... the sate chicken was indeed excellent...

So, where is the next best option....?
In the neighbourhood I guess Golden Bell or Pho Thanh Long. Co Do is just horrible now (or will be until it changes hands again, I guess) though it obviously still has its fans.

I read about Sabroso (14 St/16 Ave SW which was Toque most recently) in the new City Palate today- same owners as late Conga Room on Stephen Ave, and apparently same owners have a place on the 600 block of 1st St SW that sells cuban sandwiches and arepas- that would be great to have closer to home (for me) but I'm not expecting cheap takeout there, but we'll see.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 4:22 PM

Montagu's Sandwich is going into the old Atomic location on 1st Street SW. They have been ripping the place apart for the last couple weeks.

www.montagus.ca

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 4:25 PM

^What happened to Atomic?

Their old location in Herald Square always seemed busy. I'm amazed they couldn't make a go of it somewhere downtown.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
In the neighbourhood I guess Golden Bell or Pho Thanh Long. Co Do is just horrible now (or will be until it changes hands again, I guess) though it obviously still has its fans.

I read about Sabroso (14 St/16 Ave SW which was Toque most recently) in the new City Palate today- same owners as late Conga Room on Stephen Ave, and apparently same owners have a place on the 600 block of 1st St SW that sells cuban sandwiches and arepas- that would be great to have closer to home (for me) but I'm not expecting cheap takeout there, but we'll see.
mmmm Cuban sandwiches. That's the one thing I missed when Socitile (sic) shuttered.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
^What happened to Atomic?

Their old location in Herald Square always seemed busy. I'm amazed they couldn't make a go of it somewhere downtown.
Very true, their locations (especially herald square) were always busy. The original owners sold it off about a year or two ago. Heard that the first st. location just closed. Is that true?

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 6:33 AM
Bring buildings to life

Lookie here--Calgary finished with more restaurants per capita in Canada's Top 50 best than any other major city.

http://vacay.ca/2013/05/top-50-resta...umbers-1-to-5/

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 3:31 PM
not a NIMBY

Herald Square? Atomic closed in a location that hasn't even been built yet?

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Herald Square? Atomic closed in a location that hasn't even been built yet?
lol, sorry, my mistake. Meant the old herald building.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 4:13 PM

Fatburger is expanding in Calgary

Quote:
Frank Di Benedetto, the Fatburger franchisor for Canada, and CEO of Frankie’s Burger Enterprises and the Ricky’s All Day Grill chain, said new locations are expected to open in the southeast Seton neighbourhood and at McKnight Boulevard and Aviation Road N.E. this year.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Fa...#ixzz2SuHYX3ZU
The McKnight location could become a poor cousin to the In-n-Out Burger at LAX Sepulveda Blvd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation