HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 7:25 PM

So why would they be going ahead with this round-about, only to rip it out in the near future? From all accounts, this would be the first location to get an interchange on 100.

Also, this is the exact thing I talked about. Interchange in between 2 and 3. Maybe I've seen a plan this before, not sure. but looks nice!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So why would they be going ahead with this round-about, only to rip it out in the near future? From all accounts, this would be the first location to get an interchange on 100.

Also, this is the exact thing I talked about. Interchange in between 2 and 3. Maybe I've seen a plan this before, not sure. but looks nice!
Last time an interchange was ‘coming up’ in this province, it took them 20 years to get to it - see 59 and 101. They left that intersection with illogical and confusing construction detours that became the norm. Locals got used to it but out-of towners not so much. You can even see a wiped out semi on the 3D google maps

Rather than keeping the 2/3 intersection dangerous until funding is available for the interchange at 100 and hwy 3, they’re moving on getting that intersection safer. The roundabout might even be useable once the interchange is built, say a three way roundabout, although tearing it up and moving it isn’t going to cost a ridiculous amount

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 9:41 PM

Understand that. From what we've heard, even with PC's in power, is this thing will get built. They're mid study (yes another study...), Trudeau's dolling out billions, so take advantage and make this stuff happen.

If they want to spend a few million on the round-about, well fine. Seems wasteful to me.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 10:53 PM

59/101 did not take 20 years... it took nearly 30! I think 101 was completed in 1990, so that’s 28 years. Amazing.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 10:53 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

RCMP tweeted an hour ago that a collision happened at N Perimeter at Pipeline. From the pictures, lights are down literally.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
59/101 did not take 20 years... it took nearly 30! I think 101 was completed in 1990, so that’s 28 years. Amazing.
NE perimeter was opened in 1996 and funding for 59/101 was announced in 2015, so it was only 19 years. Our province tries so hard sometimes, let's not be too harsh

http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/print,ind...ted=1996-10-31

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:55 AM

Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Actually 59/101 goes back 50+ years from best I can tell. The "old" design was actually the first section of a planned interchange. Both the balance of the interchange and the NE section of the Perimeter seemed to get put on hold for funding constraints (?). Sorry, it all dates back to long before my knowledge.

As a point of reference though the old bridge had two west bound to northbound lanes with a slight angle to the approach and a single northbound to eastbound lane. There is no way that bridge was designed to handle west or east through traffic even though that was part of the plan. It is also why there was such a large land preserve on the northwest of the old bridge.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:00 PM

speaking of 59 / 101, they're making good progress! should be pouring concrete deck soon. This is the new bridge at the end of raleigh / gateway for emergency vehicles and AT path. This was taken about a week ago.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:22 PM

^ I still find it somewhat baffling as to why Gateway wasn't just allowed to continue under 101 as a normal street. It's weird that MI is going out of its way to deny use of this new piece of infrastructure.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:32 PM

I bet it'll turn into a normal road after a while. Are they putting up gates so only emergency crews have access? Seems like a bad idea when someone needs to cross through and they don't have a key or something like that.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I bet it'll turn into a normal road after a while. Are they putting up gates so only emergency crews have access? Seems like a bad idea when someone needs to cross through and they don't have a key or something like that.
Put the push bar bumper up to the gate and you have a universal master key.

Being serious I am sure a copy of any key like that is going to be in every emergency unit with the ignition key if not a personal copy given to every first responder.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 9:36 PM

Access from ESP to Gateway via that bridge crossing is being denied because Winnipeg wants it that way. Essentially Gateway south of the Perimeter is not zoned as a route with the traffic volume such a crossing is thought to likely induce. ESP isn't willing to front any of the costs on the Winnipeg side to make it happen either. MI is rightfully staying out of the feud between two local governments.

In terms of emergency vehicle access and gate control. I would imagine it will have a sign up that as "Emergency Vehicles Only" and either be enforced by live police patrols giving out tickets for people using it without authorization or even better set it up as a photo enforced crossing. You cross it, your picture is automatically taken and the $500+ ticket is mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle. No need for a gate system.

The reality of even a manual open/close gate system is over time with weather even something that simple will fail and remain closed at some point.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:08 AM

I can see this opening within 5 years via Raleigh or Gateway. It went through up until 1984. Traffic volume is significantly higher now, mainly south of 101. I could see vehicles taking this as a short cut to CPT to avoid 202 / 59.

Any word on improvements to the parclo at 101/204? I heard MIT was considering a longer run up for the exit / entrance onto 101 W including access from Mowat.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Access from ESP to Gateway via that bridge crossing is being denied because Winnipeg wants it that way. Essentially Gateway south of the Perimeter is not zoned as a route with the traffic volume such a crossing is thought to likely induce. ESP isn't willing to front any of the costs on the Winnipeg side to make it happen either. MI is rightfully staying out of the feud between two local governments.

In terms of emergency vehicle access and gate control. I would imagine it will have a sign up that as "Emergency Vehicles Only" and either be enforced by live police patrols giving out tickets for people using it without authorization or even better set it up as a photo enforced crossing. You cross it, your picture is automatically taken and the $500+ ticket is mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle. No need for a gate system.

The reality of even a manual open/close gate system is over time with weather even something that simple will fail and remain closed at some point.
MIT would have to have the RCMP there to enforce as they won't see a camera system there to do that as it would require provincial legislation changes.

City of Winnipeg can't even get the changes it wanted to use a camera to photo ticket vehicles going more than one block in the Diamond Lanes. The test camera in 2009 at RT 62 and Granite Way only allowed the city to count the violation pictures and nothing else.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:38 AM

The diamond lane cam was a trial and I’m pretty sure there wasn’t enough potential infractions to even warrant going through the trouble.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 10:29 PM

The first pop up MIT exhibit took place at Outlet Collection near IKEA. Anybody see what the St.N bypass and S.Peri project looked like there?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 10:32 PM

edit: delete duplicate

Last edited by Hockey; Aug 10, 2018 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 12:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It was 1996, when the Perimeter was completed. I have no idea why they have yet to complete the 59/101 intersection.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
MIT would have to have the RCMP there to enforce as they won't see a camera system there to do that as it would require provincial legislation changes.

City of Winnipeg can't even get the changes it wanted to use a camera to photo ticket vehicles going more than one block in the Diamond Lanes. The test camera in 2009 at RT 62 and Granite Way only allowed the city to count the violation pictures and nothing else.
That could get expensive having a cop sitting there 24 hours a day just so people do not use a perfectly usable road. I wonder if it will be a case of ESP saying do not use this road wink wink....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan