HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 4:55 PM
the first stamp is free

This is good news. I thought that lot recently became a small surface parking lot, and I was worried it might remain that way.

I agree that Maryland has no real need for commercial included in these sort of developments. The commercial areas on Maryland are concentrated at or along Portage, Broadway, Westminster, and Wolseley - with generally un-interupted residential in between.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:04 PM

Yeah I don't think it needs a CRU there, just curious. The new building at Wolseley & Maryland has one, and IIRC the big one going up on the SE corner of Westminster & Maryland will have as well.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:20 PM

Yeah, on the west side of Maryland south of Broadway there’s only one old corner store, a couple of home-based businesses, and then a CRU in the newer project at Maryland and Wolseley. The big apartment complex planned for the SE corner of Maryland and Westminster (what ever happened to that? Would love to see that get underway!) has 2-3 CRUs that face onto the Westminster side. But I think it’s going to be a while before we start seeing commercial cropping up on the west side of Maryland.

Speaking of commercial on Maryland, man is Bella Vista looking forlorn compared to what’s happening elsewhere in West Broadway. Is that place even open still? I just feel like with new owners and some upgrades that place could be a great addition to the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 9:05 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

I was in the West Broadway area on Maryland / Sherbrook St. between Broadway and Portage Ave. this afternoon and saw a trailer with Akman signage, "Montrose" financing, and on a property is a foundation being laid.

What are the specs. for this apartment block so I can add it to the Construction IX page?

Last edited by LilZebra; Mar 20, 2018 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:03 PM
What could go wrong?

267 Sherbrook - 6 storey, 58 unit apartment building.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:45 PM

^ The long awaited Sotirios Kotoulas project?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The long awaited Sotirios Kotoulas project?
^ Yup.

Also, the new brewery at 80 Sherbrook is now officially going ahead and should open this summer, according to their website.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:53 PM

The city/hydro have FINALLY started to replace all the broken and burnt out sidewalk lamps on Broadway (in WB), and they are FANTASTIC. They're a soft white LED, much brighter than the old ambers, but not as horribly harsh as the new ones on Corydon. Not sure if it's the bulbs, or the frosted glass that makes the difference – but these should be the new standard, and the city should go replace the blinding new ones on Corydon with these.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
^ Yup.

Also, the new brewery at 80 Sherbrook is now officially going ahead and should open this summer, according to their website.
Sadly, Kilter Brewing lost their space at 80 Sherbrook:

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2018...n-in-winnipeg/

Last edited by BuildUpWpg; May 24, 2018 at 4:52 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:49 PM

Brutal, curious to hear what the reasoning was. This is a one-sided announcement obviously though, so won't just assume it's a landlord issue.

Hopefully they had contracts sign that protected their pre-investment in the brewing machinery...

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Brutal, curious to hear what the reasoning was. This is a one-sided announcement obviously though, so won't just assume it's a landlord issue.

Hopefully they had contracts sign that protected their pre-investment in the brewing machinery...
Yes, lets hope so. Because their equipment had just come in: https://www.facebook.com/kilterbrewing/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:

Allegedly the existing tenants were not happy with the landlords decision and started making lots of noise. My assumption is that landlord should have discussed this with existing tenants or just make the decision and inform existing tenants with enough notice so they have option to move out?
Sounds like most fault on wishy-washy landlord (maybe not wanting to hurt feelings or anything?) that hurt Kilter in the end. To be fair though I would have thought Kilter would have signed something that ensured they couldn't just be booted out like that. I have no idea how business real-estate / leasing works but thats what I heard from someone close to it. Big disappointment as West Broadway screaming for something like that. I'm not a fan of the beers they've released so far but my friends all think its excellent (had a bunch at Flatlanders).

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 6:26 PM

Interesting blurb in today's paper about an apparent crime upswing in WB?

It's from an article about a police investigation into a machete fight on Sherbrook the other day...

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...488317581.html

Quote:
Trivedi, who works from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., was livid Monday while he used bleach to clean a pool of blood from the curb in front of his restaurant's front door.

"Why do we have to deal with this?" he asked angrily, referring to crime in West Broadway. "We work hard and this is what happens."

He said he's tired of paying thousands of dollars in property taxes for his business when the neighbourhood is growing more unsafe by the day.

"Businesses need protection," he said. "Politicians need to take charge."

Williams, who has worked the counter at Korner Stop since the early 1980s, said the West Broadway area has been getting more dangerous of late following several years of improvements.

"I don't know what happened," he said, referring to crime in the area.
I don't spend that much time around WB these days... has there been a noticeable increase in crime around there? That would be unfortunate if true... that area has come a long way in the last 20 years.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting blurb in today's paper about an apparent crime upswing in WB?

It's from an article about a police investigation into a machete fight on Sherbrook the other day...

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...488317581.html

I don't spend that much time around WB these days... has there been a noticeable increase in crime around there? That would be unfortunate if true... that area has come a long way in the last 20 years.
I am hardly the night owl I used to be, but based on my daytime and occasional nighttime visits to the neighbourhood over the past year, I don't see crime and disorder being a bigger issue than it was in 2015 or 2012. And certainly it seems better than it was a decade ago, to say nothing of 20 years ago.

I wouldn't discount what a longtime corner store clerk has to say about it, but maybe his appraisal of the situation was a little clouded by the fact he was cleaning up blood at the moment he was interviewed.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 11:58 PM
Rational urbanist

I work in West Broadway and anecdotally drug use, theft and crime in general do seem to be perceived as bigger issues by both community members and organizers. I can't say I feel unsafe at all (though I wouldn't walk down a residential street at night), but the spike in meth use and theft have definitely made an impact.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 12:53 AM

I would argue the area has gotten significantly better and safer in the last decade, especially the last 5 years. WB and Wolseley have been slowly gentrifying – many parts of that area used to be complete no-go zones. It's becoming quite a great, quaint place to live.

Crime happens everywhere. It's an unfortunate fact of life. I'd say there are several areas of the city that have gotten worse, but more that have gotten better, including WB.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 1:14 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
I would argue the area has gotten significantly better and safer in the last decade, especially the last 5 years. WB and Wolseley have been slowly gentrifying – many parts of that area used to be complete no-go zones. It's becoming quite a great, quaint place to live.

Crime happens everywhere. It's an unfortunate fact of life. I'd say there are several areas of the city that have gotten worse, but more that have gotten better, including WB.
Oh, over that time frame from what I understand it's gotten much, much better. Again, I'm still new to Winnipeg, though I've spent a lot of time studying and now working in West Broadway community development.

But anyway, the general narrative I hear from people that have been involved in the neighbourhood for 10+ years is that it's been getting better and better every year, but that this past year has actually regressed into being worse. Now this could be a single hiccup, and West Broadway is still a great neighbourhood, but I don't see this as something problematic to acknowledge or anything.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 5:10 AM

Ya, unfortunately the "spike" this year seems to be happening all over the city (and country), and is likely to do with the rise of meth. Hopefully when (if) the WPS stop worrying about petty marijuana issues, they can divert a lot of resources to the meth and opioid epidemic.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 3:27 PM

Selective memory. People's perception of crime often doesn't match the actual numbers. It can get better and better over the years but incidents will still happen and when they do, in that moment people feel like things must be bad. If you're scrubbing blood off the sidewalk on a particular day that's going to affect your perception, regardless of what the year-over-year stats say.

Quote:
Ya, unfortunately the "spike" this year seems to be happening all over the city (and country), and is likely to do with the rise of meth. Hopefully when (if) the WPS stop worrying about petty marijuana issues, they can divert a lot of resources to the meth and opioid epidemic.
Yeah but even once it's legal Prudish Pallister expects cops to run around making sure no one is actually smoking it anywhere except private homes, that nobody has a plant or two growing in their yard, and I'm sure WPS will still disproportionately harass the retailers over petty bullshit seeing as that's what they did to totally legal business selling pipes and whatnot in the past.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Definitely. Ask anyone at Probation Services and they'll tell you that half of their clients are on it these days. It's cheap and easily accessible. And of course the suppliers of marijuana needed a replacement coming up real soon didn't they? No surprise at all that this is happening, never mind the rise in other opiates and Fentanyl.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan