HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:58 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Knoxville is fairly decent sized. 800k in the metro. A lot bigger than I thought it was. Memphis is 1.3 million.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 6:25 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
lol I would hardly call those 'big'. By that standard, Ohio has, what, a Big 7? I'd say Tennessee has a Big 2.
Call them whatever you like, but when the state of Tennessee considers itself and its policies and resource allocation, it has four major (or "major" if you prefer) urban areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Knoxville is fairly decent sized. 800k in the metro. A lot bigger than I thought it was. Memphis is 1.3 million.
And Chattanooga's metro is approaching 550k.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 8:48 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Flatbush is gentrifying like crazy, especially closer to Prospect Park, but is sill a very mixed community, with a large West Indian population.

One of my closest friends just bought a brownstone in the Prospect Lefferts Gardens area of Flatbush, which is popular with families (he has three kids).

Cool. At least if I visited today, it won't be too unfamiliar from before.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 5:49 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
lol I would hardly call those 'big'. By that standard, Ohio has, what, a Big 7? I'd say Tennessee has a Big 2.
You're overthinking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Call them whatever you like, but when the state of Tennessee considers itself and its policies and resource allocation, it has four major (or "major" if you prefer) urban areas.

And Chattanooga's metro is approaching 550k.
Also when you consider CSA populations, Chattanooga is at 960K, which is roughly as large as Omaha, while Knoxville's CSA sits at about 1.13 million, which is roughly as large as Tulsa or Albuquerque... not major metropoli on the national stage by any means, but certainly not the small hyper-regional towns they once were.

-Bob Marley

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions