HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 4:01 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
from todays globe and mail... it says Winnipeg downtown parking is $18 day...that BS $10 a day max I thought?
[/I]
Even the Calgary stats are retarded too.

There are lots of downtown lots that are $8-15/day here.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 7:22 PM

http://www.cjob.com/News/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1106879

Toews Understands Ag Canada Job Transfers
CJOB News Team reporting
6/25/2009

Hundreds of Agriculture Canada employees in Winnipeg have been notified their jobs are being moved over the next year.
At least 360 employees in the Farm Income Programs Directorate and Financial Controls and Reporting Division will be affected after the federal government transfers the AgriStability program to B.C. and Saskatchewan.

Provencher MP Vic Toews tells CJOB, it makes sense: (see above link for audio)

...In addition...

http://www.cjob.com/News/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1106879

Job Changes At Agriculture Canada In Wpg
CJOB's Lorne Edwards reporting
6/25/2009

356 Agriculture Canada employees in Winnipeg are pondering their next step after the agency decided to transfer a farm income program to the provincial government level in Saskatchewan and B.C. The Assistant Deputy Minister of Farm Financial Programs Greg Meredith tells CJOB, while the employees are free to follow their jobs west, they also have the option of doing different work in Winnipeg:

(For whatever reason, under the same url, CJOB changed the stories up)

Last edited by Boreal; Jun 25, 2009 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 7:25 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Myself, I think that when addressing poverty, crime, addictions, that programs should not be ethnicity-based.
But poverty, crime and addictions seem to be more prevalent in some ethnicities than others by default. There are probably non-aboriginal kids that huff gas to get high, but there aren't many of them, so a programme to deal with that kind of behaviour is going to have a lot of aboriginals in it. A lot of the problems aboriginal people deal with today are the result of what their parents and grandparents went through in the residential schools. My great grandmother refused to let her children go to school because she feared they would be abused like she was, and that had a negative affect on them. What they can do to support their communities and how they do it is limited by the Indian Act, which is going to be overhauled. (Long overdue.) They might live tax free and get free education, but they have to deal with archaic restrictions on their other rights as well, like the inability to own their own homes in their own communities.

It isn't your fault. It's our problem. And by "our", I mean Canadians as a whole, even immigrants. We have to solve this.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 2:58 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Thanks for your reply and sharing some insight, Vid.

However, my full paragraph I feel puts a slightly different context to my argument:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Myself, I think that when addressing poverty, crime, addictions, that programs should not be ethnicity-based. Makes it more inclusive that way. There can, of course, be links between social services and Aboriginal leadership and Elders to improve access, but to give special status and parallel programs on everything is ridiculous IMHO.
In essence, I think there should be culturally appropriate methods of improving intake and access to social services by Aboriginals within their communities, and a non-ethnic based approach everywhere else. However, any programs and services aimed at improving such issues should be available to all people, regardless of their heritage.

I guess what I'm meaning is that, certain programs themselves cannot have an exclusive Aboriginal slant to it, so that treatment, etc, can be relevant to non-Aboriginals as well. For example, if myself ("the white man") developed a gas huffing addiction, I don't think that I would connect with some Elder blowing sage smoke at me with a feather (bad example, I know, but I think you get the idea).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid
It isn't your fault. It's our problem. And by "our", I mean Canadians as a whole, even immigrants. We have to solve this.
Yes, I am in full agreement here . Myself, I am firmly against the 'us vs. them' mentality, such as that Elder figuratively pointing the finger at "the white man" all afternoon at that workshop. It doesn't get any of us anywhere by doing that. Work to resolve the issues with good policy, not by assigning blame and perpetuating the victim mentality. That only maintains internal and external personal conflict between people.

Even Martin Luther King Jr.'s vision was to move beyond special exceptions/policy/treatment/programs/etc on racial lines. Because, we would not see beyond the colour of skin and ethnic background otherwise, as such an approach would only perpetuate that race-based mentality.

IMO, doing so leads to this type of dangerous thinking (domestic financial terrorism, insurrection, and racism):

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...e_anger_070515

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Jun 26, 2009 at 3:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 4:16 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...-49169977.html

Survey sees hot biz prospects for city
Drive to gauge relocation has first results
By: Martin Cash

A Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce initiative beating the bushes for prospective businesses that might move to Winnipeg has uncovered 12 hot leads.

The private-sector initiative, called Selling Winnipeg to the World, is trying to focus on firms that might find Winnipeg an attractive site and then highlight the city's positive business attributes to get it on more radar screens.

The first batch of data from interviews with about 200 CEOs and business leaders was unveiled yesterday.

It's still early in the process, but organizers said they were encouraged by the number of potential prospects that have emerged.

Among other things, the business leaders were asked if there were players and suppliers in their industry not operating in the city who ought to be.

Selling Winnipeg will then take those leads and mount a targeted, direct sales effort to try to bring those prospects to the city.

Bill Morrissey, the vice-president of the chamber who is championing the process, said it was an important day for the chamber yesterday.

"We wanted to tap into the intelligence that resides in the Winnipeg business community and most importantly, we were looking for leads," he said. "We have flushed out some great leads and the show of support has been fantastic."

He said it was unlikely the city would land all 12 prospects, but if that did happen it would mean an additional 550 jobs in Winnipeg.

At least one of those leads is a European company looking to set up a North American presence whose site-selector consultant has placed Winnipeg near the top of the list.

Morrissey presented some of the findings Thursday to a group of about 100 stakeholders, volunteers and survey participants.

In addition to searching for leads, the purpose of interviewing Winnipeg business people was to take a reading on what they think works best in the city and to focus on sectors that hold the most promise for growth.

Morrissey said the results were not surprising -- the highest positive attribute was the reliable workforce and the most prominent negative one was the tax base.

Eventually the chamber group wants to create a model that will allow them to do corporate analysis to better target prospects.

The next stage in the process will be to convene stakeholders to determine which industry sectors should be targeted. Then an "economic partnership" will be formed to chase the leads.

martin.cash@freepress.mb.ca

Why Winnipeg?

The results of an unscripted survey of more than 200 Winnipeg business leaders who were asked why they chose to do business in Winnipeg.
67 per cent -- because of the people and the workforce:
62 per cent -- quality of life
44 per cent -- legacy connection in Winnipeg to employees and customers
43 per cent -- diversified, stable and strong economy
24 per cent -- competitive operating costs
15 per cent -- location

What sectors should the Selling Winnipeg to the World team focus on?
23 per cent -- transportation and related services
13 per cent -- agriculture-related
13 per cent -- manufacturing
12 per cent -- high technology and science
8 per cent -- energy-related and life science
5 per cent -- aerospace
4 per cent -- call centre and back office services
3 per cent -- financial services

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 4:17 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
I guess what I'm meaning is that, certain programs themselves cannot have an exclusive Aboriginal slant to it, so that treatment, etc, can be relevant to non-Aboriginals as well. For example, if myself ("the white man") developed a gas huffing addiction, I don't think that I would connect with some Elder blowing sage smoke at me with a feather (bad example, I know, but I think you get the idea).
In my experiences, people from all walks of life are welcome to partake in various Native traditions, some of the same traditions used in treatment programs. I don't know if this holds true for government assisted programs though.

On another note, you state that you're against an 'us vs. them' mentality, yet you perpetuate this when you quote yourself as, "the white man". I understand the tongue-in-cheek intentions, and the origins from your experiences in a...workshop...a couple years ago. But I also understand that such comments can be used to make verbal jabs, much like my use with the ellipses in the last sentence. In the end it's all relatively harmless, just thought I'd point that out.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 4:17 PM

Tradesperson shortage critical
Skilled-worker deficit nearly 11,000 in 9 years: forecast
By: Geoff Kirbyson

Manitoba is facing a critical shortage of nearly 11,000 skilled tradespeople in the construction industry over the next nine years, according to a labour market forecast issued Thursday.
George Gritziotis, executive director of the Ottawa-based Construction Sector Council, said 5,300 workers will be needed in the province to simply keep up with anticipated demand for plumbing, electrical, bricklaying, roofing and other occupations, while 5,400 more people have to be found to fill the void left by those who opt to retire by 2017.

Failure to attract the necessary employees to the construction workforce could have dire consequences beyond the simple delay of many projects, he said.

"There are also productivity issues. From 1996 to 2008 we were bringing in bodies at all costs. Many of them were unskilled and we were faced with safety issues. We're preparing for the same kind of run-up now, but we don't want to be in the same situation as we were in the past," he said.

That's why various stakeholders are taking a proactive approach to meeting the employment challenge by targeting non-traditional sources of labour for the industry, including women and people of aboriginal descent.

"We need to engage women -- they only make up three per cent of those who work in construction. If you look at the economy as a whole, women make up more than half the workforce. That's not to say we're going to get that many women working in construction, but three per cent is awfully low. We need to increase that number," he said.

Gritziotis said he's also trying to ensure there is a sufficient number of apprenticeship positions across various trades in the province and that a pitch about the benefits of working in construction is made to new immigrants to Manitoba.

He said the combination of government stimulus and planned projects, including construction of the new terminal building at the Richardson International Airport, mine upgrades and pipeline conversions, will boost employment needs in many skilled trades between now and 2011.

John Schubert, president of the Winnipeg Construction Association, said the short-term need for workers has never been so pronounced.

"Last year was the first year where we had an absolute shortage of people. A lot of workers ended up working overtime. That means projects cost more," he said.

The positive side of the report's findings is that there is a lot of economic activity on the horizon in Manitoba, he said. Major projects include roadwork at the airport, the expansion of the Disraeli Bridge, a new Canad Inns hotel at Health Sciences Centre and a new Lakeview Management hotel at the airport, a new stadium for the Canadian Football League's Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the home for furniture retailer IKEA.

Another untapped market is young people, but the industry needs to do a better job of promoting the many benefits of its trades -- such as high wages and the possibility of travel -- to them at a young age, said Mike Moore, president of the Manitoba Homebuilders Association.

"It's not unusual for people to make $40,000, $50,000 and $60,000 fairly early in their careers, depending on the trade. Eventually, the sky is the limit (for annual salaries)," he said, noting he knows of one electrician who earns a six-figure salary and regularly takes jobs in the Caribbean.

geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca

Where the jobs are

If you like to get your hands dirty, Manitoba's construction industry wants you. According to a labour market forecast issued Thursday, 10,700 skilled tradespeople will be needed by 2017. The Construction Sector Council breaks the need down by trade:

1,200 carpenters
700 electricians
425 plumbers
300 plasterers
120 roofers and shinglers
100 bricklayers

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 5:21 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Hexrae... yes, tongue was firmly planted in cheek.

Other than that, I've thought about what you wrote, but think it is too difficult to describe why it is desirable to get to a certain place without contrasting to the failings in the current state of affairs.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Jun 26, 2009 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 10:26 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the trades people shortage is old news

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 2:43 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the trades people shortage is old news
This is where I'd love to see my fellow First Nations people assert themselves. UCN is a step in the right direction, as it provides a means to attain the education closer to home.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 2:46 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

true very true

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 4:11 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
In essence, I think there should be culturally appropriate methods of improving intake and access to social services by Aboriginals within their communities, and a non-ethnic based approach everywhere else. However, any programs and services aimed at improving such issues should be available to all people, regardless of their heritage.
No, but aboriginal people would. It isn't the smoke that solves the problem, it is the immersion in one's culture that builds pride and self respect that helps them to overcome their addition. There is a native organization in Thunder Bay called Ka Na Chi Hih that uses traditional native culture and modern techniques to help native people get over addictions, and it works. You might look at this and see its focus on native culture as excluding non-native people, but the lack of these cultural traditions at other treatment centres can be interpreted by natives as excluding them. Similarly, because Alcoholics Anonymous is faith based, it excludes atheists. (The reason my uncle would never go through that programme is because they put an emphasis on a god he didn't believe in. Because he didn't follow religion, the programme didn't work for him.)

If you developed an addiction to gas huffing, there are programmes in place to help you, with aspects of the culture you grew up in. For a person who has lived on a northern reserve their entire life, such a programme could be culture shock, just as immersing you in aboriginal culture would likely be.

Quote:
Myself, I am firmly against the 'us vs. them' mentality, such as that Elder figuratively pointing the finger at "the white man" all afternoon at that workshop. It doesn't get any of us anywhere by doing that. Work to resolve the issues with good policy, not by assigning blame and perpetuating the victim mentality. That only maintains internal and external personal conflict between people.

Even Martin Luther King Jr.'s vision was to move beyond special exceptions/policy/treatment/programs/etc on racial lines. Because, we would not see beyond the colour of skin and ethnic background otherwise, as such an approach would only perpetuate that race-based mentality.
We don't want to perpetuate the victim mentality. We want to show native people that their culture has a place in our society, that they are welcome here and that they will find support in our communities.

In Thunder Bay, there is a charity group that supports people with disabilities. It offers services in Finnish to Finnish people, and celebrates Finnish traditions. (It is also Lutheran, the largest Christian church in Finland.) Is this wrong? How is this different from a similar group offering the same kind of support to aboriginal people? (And this charity also offers services to aboriginals and with support from aboriginal groups, also supports their culture.) It isn't treating them on racial grounds, it is treating them on cultural grounds.

Lastly, non-native people are not only welcomed in native ceremonies, but the native community here encourages them to join. If I walked up to sweat lodge, even though I am white, I have no doubt that they would let me join them. The district jail south of the city is the only one in Ontario with a sweat lodge, and it is used by all inmates, from all cultures, and it is so successful at rehabilitating inmates from all backgrounds that the programmes is being expanded, and more native traditions are being offered there, to all people. Aboriginal people view humanity as a circle, and everyone is welcome to join it. That's part of why they didn't fight back when Europeans arrived. They welcomed them into their circle. They took care of them, showed them how to survive here. There is a native oriented Christian community centre two blocks down from me, and you can find people of all backgrounds enjoying what they have to offer there.

They don't keep people out like you think, and it is unfortunate that your opinion has been soured by someone who represented only a minority of native people.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 4:17 AM
Armchair urbanist

Vid... well said

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 5:43 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Vid, I appreciate your well written post that you had clearly put much thought and time into.

It has been a long day, I would really like to be able to provide a better response. In a nutshell, though, while I know that your opinion and many of the programs in place is there with good intentions, my concerns are long-term.

I believe that by having parallel 'break-outs' based on ethnicity does maintain the thinking of the differences between groups. IMO, human history has shown time-and-time again that it can lead to xenophobia, ethnocentrism and hate crime (real hate crime).

In terms of government services, in certain situations such as health care, it is important to have the ability to get through language barriers from a sheer communications perspective.

Much of what I was discussing is related to government programs and services, and I probably should have been more clear on this. Of course, outside organizations such as religious institutions or Aboriginal organizations can operate as they like privately. While I may not agree with them (like you're uncle, I'm an Atheist as well), and believe that they propagate ethnocentrism and is therefore counter-productive; as you may know I'm an avid proponent of many personal freedoms, so I do believe they have the right to exist and have their opinions and rituals. But, in the public realm, with public funds, it must all be non-ethnic and non-religious based, IMO.

Again, thank-you for your reply.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Jun 27, 2009 at 6:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 7:58 AM
I am a typical

What services are provided directly by the government though? I don't think there are any government run treatment centres in Ontario. They're all run by non-profits.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 1:31 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Might be a bit different here. We have the Addictions Foundation of Manitoba, which is a crown agency that reports to the provincial Minister of Health.

Specific to what we're discussing, you may want to browse their most recent available Annual Report.

http://www.afm.mb.ca/About%20AFM/doc...eportFinal.pdf

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 1:28 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Does anyone have a link to Viking's map of downtown with the parking lots marked...

need it for a meeting tonight to persuade vested interests that moving downtown isnt a problem

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 3:19 PM
Creative Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
Does anyone have a link to Viking's map of downtown with the parking lots marked...

need it for a meeting tonight to persuade vested interests that moving downtown isnt a problem
how about this one:

http://www.downtownwinnipegbiz.com/maps/parking_map/

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 4:06 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

i want to be able to print it out - am anticipating a stormy meeting and am doubleguessing the naysaysers

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 6:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

here i took the time to toss it on my web space a while back

http://pointdouglas.com/plugins/p17_...mages/1429.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan