HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 5:21 AM

It is quite evident in most of these decisions that "common sense isn't very common" and that obviously somebody somewhere is pulling the strings on more than a few puppets within our municipal and provincial governments.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 10:04 AM

Is new Metro Centre off province’s list?

By ROGER TAYLOR Business Columnist
Tue. Mar 17 - 6:14 AM

ONCE AT THE TOP of the province’s to-do list of infrastructure projects, the proposed multimillion-dollar convention centre in Halifax has lost its allure since early last month when it was first announced.

Some people might have expected Premier Rodney MacDonald to have mentioned funding for the project last week, when he announced an $800 million top-up to the province’s capital spending program over the next three years, but that didn’t happen.

During an interview on Wednesday, the premier pointed out that the strategic infrastructure partnership, designed to deal with future private-public partnerships, was not included when factoring in the $400-million provincial share of the top-up.

The province’s share is expected to be matched by $400 million from the federal government. The total capital spending budget will be $1.9 billion.

"Building convention facilities wasn’t part of (the announcement). What that model ends up looking like — who owns it, who operates it, how it’s worked — we didn’t even get near that," the premier told The Chronicle Herald’s editorial board.

In early February, a selection committee from the province and Halifax Regional Municipality chose the Rank Group of Halifax as the sole candidate eligible to win a contract to build a new convention centre on the site of the former Chronicle Herald building and adjacent lands.

Last fall the selection panel narrowed the shortlist to two bidders, Rank and the Hardman Group of Halifax, from the six that responded to a call for proposals. When the municipality determined that a site reclaimed from the dismantling of the Cogswell interchange, proposed by the Hardman Group, would not be made available for a convention centre it was determined that Rank was the only qualified bidder.

The next step was to invite Rank to submit its proposal in greater detail, explaining how its project would work, how it would fit various financial models. The province and the municipality are to work out a detailed project plan for the convention centre with cost estimates and financing options.

Joe Ramia, who speaks for Rank, would only say his group has been meeting with government staff and consultants and he’s not sure when a final decision will be made.

The 2,500-seat convention centre is just one part of Rank’s proposal for the Chronicle Herald site. The complex is expected to be named Nova Centre, Global Trade and Finance. If this "shovel-ready project" gets the final go-ahead, it will be located in the heart of Halifax’s designated entertainment district.

The plan calls for the office component to be marketed as a location for clients from Nova Scotia’s growing financial services sector.

Calls to the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal, which is in charge of making the final decision on the new convention centre, went unanswered on Monday.

The sooner work can begin on the convention centre, the better. It is likely the empty Chronicle Herald building on Argyle Street will be torn down sooner rather than later, considering the enormous tax bill the owner is facing.

Rather than having an empty lot facing the trendy downtown eateries across the street from the project, restaurant patrons could be keeping close tabs on the convention centre’s progress this summer.

The project will not only eliminate the Chronicle Herald building, but will also involve the demolition of the Midtown Tavern, arguably the city’s best-known watering hole.

( rtaylor@herald.ca)

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 7:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I was just complaining about how unfortunate it is that Halifax didn't get a single office tower during all the construction of this decade and now I'll complain that we don't have a major public construction project happening during the recession, nor in fact has there been any major public building constructed downtown in a very long time, unless we want to include the hideous and damaging sewage treatment plant.

I have my reservations about this project as it takes up two blocks, but I still think it would, or could, be a big positive change for the city.

In an alternative world of purposeful and effective political leaders there would be cranes up right now for a convention centre with some office towers and a new public library with space for major new retail tenants.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
the hideous and damaging sewage treatment plant.
Which, correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't been and still is not doing any "sewage treatment". Weeks now, not since the power surge/equipment failure and wryly humourous public notice in the dead of winter to refrain from swimming in the harbour until further notice.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 9:32 PM

As an outsider looking in, why was the decision made to build the sewerage treatment plant downtown? Surely there were lots of other place to put the plant in HRM, and by the same token why did they spend all that money to build only a primary treatment system that basically just filters out solids?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 11:37 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

They did that because it was the easiest and cheapest way to go. That is how the HRM council operates, when they manage to get anything done at all.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 12:00 AM

The biggest tragedy here is not that a new convention centre isn't proceeding, but that the Herald Lands are being held up because of this political dickering. Make a decision and go with it. If it's not going to proceed let the developer go forth with his original (now alternate) strategy of a mixed use development. Leaving it in limbo is the worst thing they could do. I actually hope it doesn't go ahead and that the developer goes back to his original plan, but knowing our provincial government, they'll probably dwaddle, the Herald Building will get torn down, nothing will be decided and we'll have another vacant lot downtown.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
The biggest tragedy here is not that a new convention centre isn't proceeding, but that the Herald Lands are being held up because of this political dickering. Make a decision and go with it. If it's not going to proceed let the developer go forth with his original (now alternate) strategy of a mixed use development. Leaving it in limbo is the worst thing they could do. I actually hope it doesn't go ahead and that the developer goes back to his original plan, but knowing our provincial government, they'll probably dwaddle, the Herald Building will get torn down, nothing will be decided and we'll have another vacant lot downtown.
The developer hasn't filed any development agreements for any plans, so its already behind regardless of the direction that is ulimately taken. The developer needs to figure out its risk position and do what is best for their organization. I personally don't believe the government is holding it up.

Everyone knows when it comes to government involved projects its a slow process.

Besides, those buildings are coming down by the end of the year regardless.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 1:29 AM

A picture of the Herald Lands taken by me today;

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 11:54 AM

Delays getting convention centre project moving cause concern

By ROGER TAYLOR Sports Columnist
Wed. Mar 25 - 5:45 AM

JUST A COUPLE of months after a new Halifax convention centre was identified as the top priority by both Premier Rodney MacDonald and Mayor Peter Kelly, mysteriously the idea doesn’t seem to be getting the attention it deserves.

The shift from necessity to lower down on the priority list has some prominent people scratching their heads. Halifax architect Andy Lynch of the firm Lydon Lynch Architects Ltd., also a member of the Downtown Halifax Business Commission, calls the delay in getting the project moving "a great big mystery."

He told me on Tuesday that the commission met with developer Joe Ramia on Monday to discuss his plans for the convention centre on the site of the former Herald Building on Argyle Street in a partnership arrangement with the province and the city.

The commission wants to co-ordinate with all the businesses on the street to get some improvements completed at the same time the convention centre is being built.

Lynch says Ramia doesn’t know what’s going on behind closed doors at Province House or city hall. "We showed him a notice of a meeting (Tuesday) at city council where (the convention centre was) on the agenda and he didn’t even know about that."

He says timing is everything in the development business in Halifax and Ramia is faced with trying to apply for a development agreement under older development rules versus filing to construct the convention centre under the governance of the city’s more stringent HRM by Design plan.

"He’s getting pretty close to that deadline but he can’t apply for a development agreement until he’s gotten the nod at least from the province. The city is kind of holding a reserve spot for him but that’s going to expire at some point in time and my theory is that the province is kind of dragging a little bit. They could have pushed it but they’re not saying anything," said Lynch.

Last week Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal Minister Brooke Taylor told me the process of determining who would own the structure and operate the convention facility is complicated and it isn’t likely a decision will be made until later in the spring.

"Well, Ramia is going to get screwed if that’s the kind of attitude that’s down there (at Province House) because he’s going to lose his timing," said Lynch. Besides, he said, the government was supposed to have been thinking about the configuration of the ownership and operation of the new convention centre for at least a year.

All of the merchants on Argyle Street are supportive of the plan shown them by Ramia during the meeting, said the architect.

"I think it’s a good news story all around because that trade centre is all new money to the city, conventions that couldn’t come here before, and it doesn’t pollute. It’s a huge investment, nothing but good, but you know we still don’t have anybody in Province House looking after downtown Halifax."

Another member of the Downtown Halifax Business Commission Board, Argyle Bar and Grill owner Chris Tzaneteas, said it’s been a long time since anything has happened in the downtown core.

"It’s the heartbeat of the city. It’s been neglected. Lack of leadership in the city has put us in a real bad spot and I think what they’re trying to do there will help in revitalizing the area and bringing more life than just bars."

Tzaneteas and his partner have started looking at redeveloping the property it owns.

"We’re looking at different options. I think what (the convention centre) is going to create here, there’s going to be tremendous opportunities for us on different levels. It could be an apartment building to a hotel, maybe, to an office."

( rtaylor@herald.ca)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 2:11 AM

Is anyone really surprised by this lack of leadership from Rodney and Peter? I don't like the convention centre on Argyle but if you are going to do it at least run the process properly. First the Cogswell proposal is thrown out prematurely over unclear concerns about HRMbyDesign compliance and the timeline for the interchange demolition (both issues the City and the Province could control). Now that they've chosen Ramia he's going to be held in limbo for months. Pretty sad, but not shocking.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 2:48 AM
we built this city

Umm, at least give us a juicy rendering in the meantime!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 6:18 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's not surprising but it is disappointing.

The flip-flopping and delay is actually much worse than doing nothing at all downtown. The Herald lands developer was already preparing a development plan before the convention centre RFP and now that is on hold. Similarly, pretty much everything for Barrington is on hold while council has dithered over spending for the street. If there were no prospect of future funding some restorations and other projects would likely have just gone forward anyway.

Add to that unfortunate developments like the sewage treatment plant on the edge of the downtown and I would argue that the municipal government has done much more harm than good downtown over the last few years.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 5:34 PM
we built this city

I honestly believe that a high school student council would be more effective.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I honestly believe that a high school student council would be more effective.
I like that idea. I wouldn't mind being mayor

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 3:19 AM

Anyone who likes the old Herald building should get out soon and take some nice pictures. I might myself. I have heard that it will come down in less then 60 days. I've also heard that more info should be released this month on Ramia's plan.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Anyone who likes the old Herald building should get out soon and take some nice pictures. I might myself. I have heard that it will come down in less then 60 days. I've also heard that more info should be released this month on Ramia's plan.
News in allnovascotia.com that says council gave the project special consideration under HRM by design and therefore the ablility to exceed the height limits of HRM by design. Yet they decided to turn down Hardmans proposal because it conflicted HRM by design principles?????

Doing this will open a flood gate of problems in my opinion as council is already bending the rules of HRM by design.

The plan is 18 stories and 14 stories on a 5 storey base that spans the whole two blocks. Therefore the street is gone.

Ramia's proposal is getting a special clause in HRM by Design too.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 1:20 PM

Ooo some height. Amazing that they are willing to bend the rules for them selves but when it comes to someone else wanting to bring some profit to the city. They say no

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Ooo some height. Amazing that they are willing to bend the rules for them selves but when it comes to someone else wanting to bring some profit to the city. They say no
What bugs me is they bend the rules here, but didn't for Hardman.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:04 PM

That's going to make the east side of Argyle pretty dark in the afternoons. An unfortunate choice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth