HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That's going to make the east side of Argyle pretty dark in the afternoons. An unfortunate choice.
Yup, poor decision.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
What bugs me is they bend the rules here, but didn't for Hardman.
which one is Hardman?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
News in allnovascotia.com that says council gave the project special consideration under HRM by design and therefore the ablility to exceed the height limits of HRM by design. Yet they decided to turn down Hardmans proposal because it conflicted HRM by design principles?????

Doing this will open a flood gate of problems in my opinion as council is already bending the rules of HRM by design.

The plan is 18 stories and 14 stories on a 5 storey base that spans the whole two blocks. Therefore the street is gone.

Ramia's proposal is getting a special clause in HRM by Design too.
Wiping out Grafton is a stupid move. Cutting Market Street in two did wonders for it! That area could be really great, but this project seems set to become just another burden to overcome.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 2:42 AM

Im so excited, I swear I seen a rendering on the news when I first hear of it, very generic but tall.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 4:20 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Anybody notice how, while private projects are pretty varied, public projects downtown mostly tend to be as harmful as they could possibly be?

I'm still a little torn about this simply because there's been so little construction downtown for so long. How sad.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 6:06 PM

Unless this is a stupendous striking piece of modern architecture, I am not at all liking the plan from what has been said.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 7:52 PM

Ugh.

Shading streets... consolidating blocks... this all sounds pretty terrible

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 4:10 PM

Ok, so I got a chance to see Mr Ramia's new convention centre project yesterday. And I know I've been very skeptical of this project but all my fears were set aside yesterday when I saw this proposal. It is unbelievable! It's nothing in the way of crazy modern architecture. But it has clean lines and a great design. And they are going for LEED Gold status. They are not building over Market, but building under it. The convention space will be built underneath the two blocks and Market street will become a pedestrian street lined with retail and will be covered by a large glass canopy.
I'll wait to say more until we see renderings released publicly. (which I'm guessing will be after HRM By Design is passed) But this project will change the face and feel of downtown in the exact way we need.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 4:41 PM

that sounds awesome jono...once again, great sleuth work...the pedestrian street sounds terrific!!....

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:16 PM

Presumably, the entrance to the 'conenvtion' floor would be on Argyle and the buildings and such above would be on Grafton. I'd rather see more cafe's and restaurants with patios on Argyle.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:19 PM
we built this city

Whoa, that sounds incredible... it seems that concept solves alot of the issues we discussed.

When can we expect some renderings to come out???

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 7:25 PM

someone on this forum said...I forget who, but they said if this is done in an really innovative way it could be a very good development...sounds like they may have pulled it off.....

Last edited by Barrington south; Apr 30, 2009 at 7:25 PM. Reason: umm I forgot a word

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 8:38 PM

Good news Jono.

Is it just me or is there a LEED race going on in HRM?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 9:04 PM

I kinda would have liked to see pedways over the street as well.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 9:05 PM

The approval of this is linked to HRM By Design through a clause that they added to HRM By Design which I thought already existed. It allows for any development that might be proposed that would provide a significant amount of financial, cultural or social benefit to the city, to be considered even if it does not meet the strict controls of HRM By Design. Its sort of a checks and balance system.
And there is also another approval from the province that is necessary. Ramia has yet to meet with HT so that is why I assume there have been no renderings released. So I would presume once HRM By Design is passed we will probably see a rendering.
And there is at ground retail on the entire project where there is flat ground. I believe the Sackville and Prince side do not have retail. And they are retailers that have never set up shop in the city before that they are in talks with.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Good news Jono.

Is it just me or is there a LEED race going on in HRM?
This is the only project in the city that is going for LEED Gold I believe.
There is a fusion hosted forum coming up regarding LEED certification and its merits and downfalls if anyone is interested. I'll post more when I know the details.

And in response to hfx_chris. The centre will be linked under Sackville to the Prince George.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This is the only project in the city that is going for LEED Gold I believe.
There is a fusion hosted forum coming up regarding LEED certification and its merits and downfalls if anyone is interested. I'll post more when I know the details.

And in response to hfx_chris. The centre will be linked under Sackville to the Prince George.
For LEED Gold yes but IP is going for silver, and I don't know about what levels but Harobur Isle, Farmer's Market, Atrium, Dal Administration, and PPV are aiming for LEED as well.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
For LEED Gold yes but IP is going for silver, and I don't know about what levels but Harobur Isle, Farmer's Market, Atrium, Dal Administration, and PPV are aiming for LEED as well.
PPV is the first LEED office in the region, so they have been crowned of being first. I know the Waterside Centre is targeted LEED gold, Farmer's market Gold, and so is Emera's power station along with other LEED projects such as Dal

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Yes I know, you said that already. I still would like to see pedways over the street.

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 3:00 PM

Quote:
PPV is the first LEED office in the region, so they have been crowned of being first. I know the Waterside Centre is targeted LEED gold, Farmer's market Gold, and so is Emera's power station along with other LEED projects such as Dal
I was under the impression that Somerset Square was the first LEED Gold building in the region.

You guys in Halifax are behind the times, we're already working on LEED Platinum buildings in Saint John, none of this Silver and Gold nonsense

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth