HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Performance Court in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 7:26 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

To be clear, by "community" I'm pointing at the Arts community who are the champions of this concert hall.

Last I read the shortfall was around 5-7 million. Of course the logical place to look for this money is in a corporate sponsor, but failing that it is the responsibility of those who want this thing to band together and raise the funds to cover the shortfall.

I understand that this isn't pocket change, but we're talking about a community much of which is (surely) quite wealthy, so covering the shortfall should be an attainable goal.

They didn't do that (what I referred to as deafening silence), so it's time to free up that cash and apply it elsewhere. I hate it when money and projects get tied up in this town for long periods of time. We saw it here, and we have seen it with the Congress and Rideau Centre expansions.

Move on, and resurrect this idea when/if the funding is ever secured.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 9:18 PM
Busy Beaver

I'm surprised that with the money Moreguard makes in Ottawa, the company doesn't just cough up the money. Heck they can call it the Moreguard Concert Hall if they like. I'm sure there's already profit in them building the space, so why don't they just forgo some of it?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 10:08 PM

morguard hasn't secured a tenant....if they had someone signed for the office part i would bet they would consider it. It the concert hall gets funded...i think they are obligated to start construction fairly shortly which may be costly without having at least 50% of the office space pre-leased

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 10:57 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 11:06 PM
Still optimistic

So what WILL they build there now? a second tower?
Relocate the central librairy (That would be cool!)?

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 3:00 AM

That would be a good spot for the new libary.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 9:54 AM

Morguard should rejig the proposal with a portrait gallery bid thrown in instead...

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 12:11 PM
Still optimistic

No: There already planing two towers to accomodate it!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 3:48 AM

talked to the parking attendant that works at the site that will eventually be ground zero for this project...he said its at least a year away...and that the parking lot will continue to run until then.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 7:56 AM

Offering more than one bid never hurt a city's chances of landing a portrait gallery...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 9:54 AM

Interesting op-ed by Randall Denley in the Citizen... Milles can you make some phone calls buddy?

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...a-85d990f3ad8f

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 12:46 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajldub View Post
Interesting op-ed by Randall Denley in the Citizen... Milles can you make some phone calls buddy?

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...a-85d990f3ad8f
I saw that. For starters we should all send a short e-mail to Mr Denley to thank him for saying what he said. I just did.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 7:13 PM

!!! Finally it looks like one of the best projects and towers will come to life in Ottawa. This as well should ad a substantial amount of new/young $$$ wealth to the Elgin st area.

Elgin Street concert hall campaign revived
Steven Mazey, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Wednesday, June 04, 2008
OTTAWA - Supporters of a concert hall on Elgin Street have revived plans for the project and expect to announce details soon of a community fundraising campaign backed by arts groups from across the city, politicians and some high-profile members of the community.

Organizers say they're still working out some crucial details, but they are tentatively planning an announcement June 16 that will include details of the fundraising campaign and will let supporters of the project know how they can get involved as donors or volunteers.

Referred to as the Friends of the Concert Hall, the new committee is taking over from the Ottawa Chamber Music Society, which spearheaded the fundraising and planning for more than four years but pulled out in February.

The proposed 925-seat concert hall, at Elgin and Gloucester streets, would present a wide range of music, including jazz, blues, folk, classical performances and youth ensembles. The hall could also be used for readings, film screenings, meetings and music recordings. It would be part of an office and residential complex to be built by Morguard Developments, which still supports the project, organizers say.

The Chamber Society also still supports the hall, but withdrew as campaign leader when it announced it had been unable to meet city council's deadline to find a title sponsor.

Under the original plans, a title sponsor was to contribute in the range of $6 million to have its name on the hall. Chamber Society officials said some corporations had expressed potential interest, but were unable to commit by the end of February. It had only been since November, when the federal government announced its support, that organizers were able to approach sponsors with the backing of three levels of government.

Once it had found a title sponsor, the Chamber Society also planned an $8-million community fundraising campaign. Chamber Society officials said professional fundraising consultants had always advised the organization to turn to the community only after the other major pieces were solid.

The hall has a budget of about $33 million. When the Chamber Society pulled out, the project had about $25.4 million in place, including $20.6 million in government pledges, $1 million in private pledges and a $3.8-million contribution in construction costs from Morguard.

After the Chamber Society withdrew and city councillors agreed to keep the funds set aside for a cultural facility, supporters, including representatives from some of the more than 30 Ottawa arts groups that say they would present performances in the hall, have been planning strategy.

Ottawa cellist Julian Armour, who initially planned the project when he was artistic director of the Ottawa Chamber Music Society, has rejoined the campaign.

See hall on page F4Julian Armour quit the Chamber Society early last year over differences with the board, and had not been involved with the concert hall project since then. Organizers asked him to get involved again after the Chamber Society withdrew.

Armour says the main goal of the June 16 press conference "is to announce that it's back in business, the door is open, and to let people know how they can get involved as donors, committee members or volunteers. We will have people there who have been wanting to make it happen before and people who are newly involved. The campaign really is representative of the whole community."

Arts groups and city staff have long said an acoustically pristine medium-sized hall is an urgent priority for area arts groups. The National Arts Centre's 2,000-seat Southam Hall is larger than most Ottawa groups need, it is rarely available and the cost of renting it is beyond the reach of most Ottawa organizations.

The Ottawa Jazz Festival has said it has missed out on presenting some star musicians because there was no suitable venue available. City churches are heavily booked for concerts.

When the Chamber Society pulled out, some city councillors said it was time to give up on the project. But major cultural projects of this kind usually take several attempts.

It took more than a decade for the Great Canadian Theatre Co. to move out of its former cramped quarters to its new building on Wellington Street, and it took more than 10 years of lobbying by Toronto conductor Richard Bradshaw before the Canadian Opera Company had a new home. The new opera house opened to rave reviews and sold-out houses. The GCTC has also played to capacity houses since opening its new home last fall.

© The Ottawa Citizen 2008

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 9:56 PM

The Signs at the site were removed about 2 weeks ago now. So something is definitely happening. The 150Elgin.com website is still up and with the latest news posted by Luker it may be good news for the buiding. I work near there and that parking lot is definitely an eyesore. I for one would be very happy to see that building go up.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 11:46 AM

Hopefully they can get a big corporate donation.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 1:29 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

They wouldn't be making such a big announcement if something serious wasn't already in the works. This project will happen, mark my words. It's wanted by lots of influential people.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 3:50 PM

Fill in the blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
They wouldn't be making such a big announcement if something serious wasn't already in the works. This project will happen, mark my words. It's wanted by lots of influential people.
The _________ Concert Hall...Any guesses?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 3:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryersonian View Post
The Diana Holmes Concert Hall...complete with staggered height limits.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 4:50 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnog View Post
The Diana Holmes Concert Hall...complete with staggered height limits.
We need a few cold pints on a patio for more of these.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryersonian View Post
The Alex Cullen counter motion with a recorded vote Concert Hall

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa