HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 3:11 PM
Closed account

Hey Doc -- can you tell us some of these cool things about Monte's?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 9:15 PM
Movin' on up

You know what I would love to see? High-speed passenger rail service from Winnipeg to Chicago, via Fargo and Minneapolis. There is enough of a tourism industry in the Red River Valley and between Winnipeg and Chicago in general. With rising gas and airfare prices, a great option for joe schmo would be some high-speed rail travel. It's also a great way to see the countryside.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 11:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
You know what I would love to see? High-speed passenger rail service from Winnipeg to Chicago, via Fargo and Minneapolis. There is enough of a tourism industry in the Red River Valley and between Winnipeg and Chicago in general. With rising gas and airfare prices, a great option for joe schmo would be some high-speed rail travel. It's also a great way to see the countryside.
It would be nice for Fargoans to be able to hop on a high-speed train and visit the big cities. Other than visitors from rural ND, SD, and MN and loonie-laden Canadians I'm not seeing the "tourism industry" in the Red River Valley.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 11:48 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww6789 View Post
It would be nice for Fargoans to be able to hop on a high-speed train and visit the big cities. Other than visitors from rural ND, SD, and MN and loonie-laden Canadians I'm not seeing the "tourism industry" in the Red River Valley.
Hell, I'd even settle for regular passenger rail service. There are tons of people who head down to Minneapolis and Chicago from Winnipeg every year because they are relatively close; Chicago is a 12-12.5 hour drive from Winnipeg. Even if it's only seasonal service or of less frequency, I could see it being viable. Not to mention that there is lots of tourism between Fargo and Winnipeg, and Grand Forks as well. The "tourism industry" is mainly between the cities; not the rural areas, and that is where your target passengers would come from.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 1:57 AM

Monte's

Tidbit #1: seasonal menu.

Tidbit #2: water wall behind the bar.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 2:13 AM
Closed account

Amtrak serves Fargo. You can go to Minneapolis and Chicago and some Canadian cities but not Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 2:16 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww6789 View Post
Amtrak serves Fargo. You can go to Minneapolis and Chicago and some Canadian cities but not Winnipeg.

Hence my whole "you know what I would love to see?" shpeel

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 2:18 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Tidbit #1: seasonal menu.

Tidbit #2: water wall behind the bar.
Maybe the water wall is hypnotic -- makes customers think the food tastes better than it is and costs less than it does.

The seasonal menu does sound enticing. Too many places rarely make any meaningful changes to the selection.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 4:31 AM
still here

Hey it's good to be back. I've been at the lakes for ten days with no internet. ugh! lol. Anyways, great discussions there have been going around here and i found this on in-fourm.

Glyndon on the grow

Tracy Frank, The Forum
Published Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Glyndon, Minn.

A new business development is taking shape on the east edge of Glyndon. Stockwood Business Park is on 23 acres just off Highway 10.

So far, the lone occupant is a condo storage unit, but plans include bringing in retail, offices and industrial businesses.

Brad Rivers, commercial agent with Horizon Real Estate Group, listed the properties last week.

“If I can get three, four tenants lined up, we can build a strip center,” Rivers said.

The project has been in the works for about two years. The area was originally a farm field owned by Kuehl Farms.

Glyndon responded to a petition for improvements from the Kuehl family by investing $1.4 million in infrastructure in the development, said David Pederson, city clerk and treasurer.

“I’m optimistic that something will take hold in there and things will turn out beneficial for the developers and the city,” said Glyndon Mayor Ryan Alderman.

Rivers and Pederson tout the development’s location along U.S. Highway 10 and near Interstate-94.

“It’s in an area where there’s constantly growing traffic and traffic counts,” Pederson said.

Rivers said the area is no farther from downtown Fargo than the Eagle Run development in West Fargo.

“It’s really kind of a metro location,” Pederson said. “The concept that it’s way out in Glyndon is wrong. With the access of (State Highway) 336 between U.S. Highway 10 and I-94, there’s no reason to think that someone looking at a place couldn’t consider Glyndon as they consider places in south Fargo.”

Rivers said another benefit is the price.

“If you want to buy a lot over off 52nd Avenue and (Interstate)-29, you’re going to pay $8 a square foot up to $16 a square foot,” he said.

“You can buy a lot here for 95 cents a square foot up to $2.95.”

With its central location between Hawley, Lake Park, Ada, Twin Valley, and Barnesville, the development would be a good place for a health care business or clinic, Rivers and Pederson said.

Rivers said the development could also mean new jobs in the community.

“Where this becomes really important in the future is people are able to work, stay, play, all right here in their community instead of having to go to (Fargo-Moorhead),” Rivers said. “A lot of services could go into this development that will really make people’s lives easier.”

The newly paved roads are drawing curious cyclists and motorists eager to scope out the development.

“I think it’s great; great for the people around here,” said Jeremy Doran of Glyndon.

“I’m sure people would benefit if there were more businesses and more jobs,” said Lupe Gomez of Glyndon.

She doubts whether such a large development is needed.

Alderman said there have been a lot of questions about how the development will affect neighborhoods and traffic.

“Once something gets going out there, I think we’ll have some positive reactions from the community, too,” he said.

When the business park is established, Alderman said it will give most of the residents a break in their taxes. Glyndon’s tax base now is predominantly based on residential housing, he said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Tracy Frank at (701) 241-5526

also as i was going out on Highway 10 i was very pleased to see all the development east moorhead and dilworth are having. A new shopping strip mall is going up where the old bargains galore was and on the other side of the Pizza Ranch another building is going up to. The vacant Wal-Mart is for lease now and i personally think a Best Buy would be a great fit for that local. With Moorhead and Dilworth booming out that way, Best Buy would be a great fit. Plus there's nothing alike it around.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 4:40 AM
still here

July was also Hector International Airport's busiest month on record. 64,137 a 14.6% increase over last year. Check out all the info at www.fargoairport.com under News Releases

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 5:12 AM
Closed account

also as i was going out on Highway 10 i was very pleased to see all the development east moorhead and dilworth are having. A new shopping strip mall is going up where the old bargains galore was and on the other side of the Pizza Ranch another building is going up to. The vacant Wal-Mart is for lease now and i personally think a Best Buy would be a great fit for that local. With Moorhead and Dilworth booming out that way, Best Buy would be a great fit. Plus there's nothing alike it around.

Wonder if a Costco would fit in the old Walmart location in Glyndon? Of course if Walmart still owns the land they probably wouldn't sell to Costco. I'm looking for more retailers and restaurants that are new to the area.

I don't know about living in Glyndon -- isn't all housing near the railroad tracks?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 11:03 AM

Water Wall

I'm guessing food won't be cheap at Monte's new place. Still, I think that the water wall will be pretty darn cool.

I've also heard that you'll be able to see the kitchen from the street. I guess they won't be microwaving their food.

Probably won't be able to get that bowl of chili there, but I'm hoping they have a good burger on the menu.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 2:50 PM
Closed account

Thanks Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I'm guessing food won't be cheap at Monte's new place. Still, I think that the water wall will be pretty darn cool.

I've also heard that you'll be able to see the kitchen from the street. I guess they won't be microwaving their food.

Probably won't be able to get that bowl of chili there, but I'm hoping they have a good burger on the menu.
Doc, you're a good man for remembering that I'm always searching for that perfect bowl of chili.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 4:58 PM
still here

Trollwood plays role in spurring development
Kim Winnegge, The Forum
Published Monday, August 11, 2008

Developers are learning from their successes of the recent past.

When S.G. Reinertsen Elementary and Horizon Middle School were built in the early 2000s, Moorhead neighborhoods quickly cropped up in the surrounding area.

As the city prepares for future platting near Trollwood Performing Art School’s new south Moorhead location, developers once again are drawing up plans for future neighborhoods in the area.

Arista Development plans to develop on 370 acres immediately adjacent to the new Trollwood campus, said project coordinator Jeff Schaumann.

The new development, which Schaumann touts as an energy-efficient “conservation community,” may offer a new concept in the area’s housing market.

There are hundreds of lots available in other developments throughout Moorhead, but City Planner Deb Martzahn said she doesn’t expect interest to fade in those when housing construction begins near Trollwood.

Martzahn said the development might project an unnaturally high number of empty lots, but the city has continued to grow each year, creating a need for additional housing units.

According to a January 2008 report gathered from information provided by local developers, there are 1,004 available lots spread out over 19 Moorhead neighborhoods, with prices per lot depending on size and location – anywhere from $7,800 to $134,900.

Those numbers don’t include potential lots in the new Trollwood addition.

“It may seem that we have quite a few lots available right now,” Martzahn said. “As we look at those in terms of our recent growth, it’s not providing that many years of supply into the future. It’s a good idea to anticipate that need into the future.”

And new neighborhoods continue growing in Moorhead, she said.

Tessa Terrace, a neighborhood comprised of single-family dwellings and townhomes, has 41 lots available out of 70, according to the report. The prices per lot in the Tessa Terrace Additions range from $57,600 to $134,900.

“I think our developers are as aware as anybody when more lots are needed and marketable,” Martzahn said.

A November 2007 neighborhood planning study done by consulting firm Bonestroo found housing grew substantially during the past decade and the vast majority of new units added in Moorhead came in new developments of the city.

Moorhead added between 70 and 525 units per year from 1995 through 2007, and has also grown at a faster rate in recent years, the study found.

From 2002 to 2007, the city added 2,523 total housing units, according to numbers provided by Moorhead’s building codes office.

The biggest boom was in 2005, when the city issued 514 building permits, the building codes office said.

As new parks, schools and other recreational amenities pop up around Moorhead, so will residential development surges, said Lisa Vatnsdal, Moorhead’s neighborhood services manager.

In September 2004, Moorhead issued more than 260 building permits, with many of those homes constructed near the city’s new schools.

This year, from Jan. 1 through June 30, 99 single-family housing building permits have been issued in the city. There have also been permits for two townhomes and two multiplex apartments.

The townhomes will be built by Paragon Development at 17th Avenue North. Apartments contracted by Terry Welle Construction will be located at 2411 36th St. S. and 810 41st Ave. S., respectively.

“These are things that a lot of families with school-age children are looking for,” said Vatnsdal, adding that senior-living facilities generally fill in those areas, too.

Gust Johanson, a developer for Evergreen Meadows at 40th Street and 41st Avenue South, has built 27 housing units on the site.

In March, the City Council approved plans to build a Moorhead YMCA in that area.

The $10 million facility would sit next to a 100-acre city park being developed along 40th Avenue South between 20th and 28th streets. The facility could open in 2010 or 2011.

Johanson said he sees the potential YMCA as a welcome addition to the area.

“The YMCA is something that we certainly needed in this neighborhood,” Johanson said. “I think it’s a good neighborhood for it. I’m extremely happy to see the YMCA building where they are.”

“The (new) middle school is probably a drawing point for Horizon Shores as well,” Vatnsdal said.

The Horizon Shores addition has 214 lots in its neighborhood, with 94 lots available, according to the most recent report.

Home Builders Association of Fargo-Moorhead president Bill Blixt said that construction companies and developers are more than happy to help with the cities’ growth.

“We want to accommodate as much as we can,” Blixt said. “It’s a changing world in terms of housing needs.”

Readers can reach Forum reporter Kim Winnegge at (701) 241-5524

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 5:02 PM
still here

Moorhead's New Neighborhoods

Stockwood Business Park: Glyndon

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 5:25 AM
still here

Innovis sets addition timeline
Erin Hemme-Froslie, The Forum
Published Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Innovis Health plans to break ground early next summer on a multistory addition to its south Fargo hospital.

The health system recently hired Kurt Salmon Associates of Minneapolis to help determine what services the new space should hold, said Kevin Pitzer, chief administrative officer.

The estimated cost of the addition is more than $25 million and will take about 18 months to complete.

“We’re committed to moving forward,” Pitzer said.

The Minneapolis consulting company will interview community leaders and analyze trends in demographics and health care. The results of the study will become a template for architects, said Dr. Greg Glasner, chief executive officer.

The four- or six-story addition, planned for the building’s southeast side, most likely will include surgical suites, intensive care beds and birthing services, Glasner said. Radiology and lab services also may be expanded.

“We’re making the best guess we can about the future needs of our community,” he said.

Innovis has 86 hospital beds, but was designed to grow.

For the past six months, more than 82 percent of its beds have been filled at midnight, the least busy time. Sometimes all beds are filled during the day, Pitzer said.

Adding to the space crunch, the health system has hired 30 additional physicians and 10 non-physician providers since January.

“We need capacity to add providers for patient demands,” Glasner said.

Innovis has a history of not having enough beds for its patients, said Karen Haskins, vice president of North Dakota Healthcare Association. The population in eastern North Dakota and northwestern Minnesota continues to grow and age, meaning there will be a need for more hospital services, she said.

Concerns about low Medicare reimbursements, a big chunk of revenues for North Dakota hospitals, shouldn’t discourage Innovis from looking to the future, she said.

“Many times, hospitals have to build or change structures to keep up with patient needs,” Haskins said.

MeritCare, another Fargo health system, recently cut jobs and announced intentions to consolidate locations to save money.

Pitzer said low reimbursements from government insurance programs add to the risk of building. Funding will come from tax-exempt bonds offered through Essentia Health, a Duluth, Minn., company that partners with Innovis. The Fargo hospital, however, must repay the debt, Pitzer said.

“It certainly makes us nervous, but we have the benefit of being in a region that’s growing and we have great employers that provide good levels of health insurance,” he said. “The government payers will remain the wild card.”

Readers can reach Forum reporter Erin Hemme Froslie at (701) 241-5534

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 5:27 AM
still here

I found this picture off of the Property Resources Group website for the new development in Dilworth. One of the lots is pending.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 6:29 AM
still here

Cass County tries circular road solution
Dave Olson, The Forum
Published Wednesday, August 13, 2008

When it comes to intersection design, Cass County is catching up to the rest of the world, in a roundabout way.

A fixture in places like the United Kingdom, France and Australia, roundabouts are gaining traction in the United States as an alternative to intersections that employ stoplights and stop signs.

The latest example of circular reasoning applied to traffic control can be found at the intersection of 52nd Avenue and Sheyenne Street on the edge of West Fargo.

Expected to open to the public next week, the estimated $4 million roundabout should get drivers through the intersection quickly and without incident, said Tom Soucy, design and construction supervisor for the Cass County Highway Department.

“The reason we wanted to go with that is so there wouldn’t be any waiting,” he said.

“With a roundabout, you just yield to the left,” said Soucy. “If there’s no one coming, you get into the circle and you go around to whichever exit you want to take and out you go. It’s supposed to reduce t-bone accidents.”

Playing the angles

That’s true, said Scott Beaird, a senior engineer with Kittelson & Associates, a transportation engineering company in Portland, Ore., that has researched roundabouts for the federal government.

Beaird said roundabouts have been found to reduce the overall number of crashes at an intersection by 37 percent and cut the number of injury accidents in half.

That, he said, is because crashes in roundabouts tend to be sideswipes, rather than head-on or t-bone collisions.

Beaird said roundabouts have been used successfully on everything from neighborhood streets to rural highways.

He said they are sometimes confused with the larger traffic circles or rotary intersections found on the East Coast, which he said employ higher approach speeds and sometimes stop mechanisms.

Beaird said one drawback to roundabouts is that they can require more right of way than a conventional intersection. On the other hand, they can reduce the number of lanes required on the approach streets, he added.

Over the past three years, three roundabouts have been built in south Fargo – two in the Urban Plains development and one at 38th Avenue and Village Lane.

They are touted by developers as an amenity, according to Jeremy Gorden, Fargo traffic engineer, who said roundabouts can be landscaped to enhance appearance and once built require little maintenance.

He said many areas of the Twin Cities are going with roundabouts.

“You can start to see them all the way around the suburbs,” he said.

Other projects

Meanwhile, as the sun begins to set on the construction season, work continues on a number of road projects in Fargo, including the widening of the 12th Avenue North viaduct bridge from two lanes to four.

The bridge, which is on a list of structurally deficient structures, is also getting a new driving surface.

The $11.8 million project, which began this past spring, is being done in two parts, with work on the south half of the east-west bridge to be completed in October.

Expansion of the lanes on the north side of the bridge and replacement of the decking in that area will be done next summer.

Two-way traffic will be maintained during construction, though temporary closings are necessary for paving.

Three projects that are widening 52nd Avenue South between University Drive and 47th Street are expected to wrap up by Nov. 1.

In addition, a new interchange at 52nd Avenue and Interstate 29 is anticipated to open in October, said Kevin Gorder, assistant district engineer for the North Dakota Department of Transportation.

The avenue widening projects and interchange work will likely total $40 million, he said.

After the new six-lane interchange is completed, the old two-lane interchange now being used nearby will be demolished, Gorder said.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Dave Olson at (701) 241-5555

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 6:31 AM
still here

Moorhead Library opts not to use power plant
Kim Winnegge, The Forum

A Moorhead Library Board decision Tuesday to reject a move to the old power plant means the Moorhead Public Service Commission may need to come up with about $25,000.

The Moorhead Public Service was awarded a $1.4 million state grant to get rid of mercury and asbestos in the old plant – $25,000 of which has already been spent, said General Manager Bill Schwandt.

The grant was given on the condition that a public use is found for the plant. The public use designated in the grant application was a relocated library.

“This board has been unduly pressured,” City Council member Mark Hintermeyer said at a Library Board meeting Tuesday night, when members agreed to scrap the power plant as an option.

The second option is to expand at the present downtown site. The board agreed to recommend to the City Council that it remodel the current library and acquire the northwest corner at the best possible price as soon as possible.

The motion passed 5-1, with Ron Bock dissenting. Board member Cynthia Saar was absent. Two board positions are vacant.

“The $1.4 million issue polluted the stream of thought about the future of the library,” Hintermeyer said.

Because the grant needs to be used for the stated purpose or one that is comparable, if the Public Service Commission can’t find a similar use for the power plant it will need to pay back the money spent, Hintermeyer said.

“The cleanup had to be done anyway,” Schwandt said. “It’s definitely not bad that it happened.”

The total projected cost to demolish and construct a new library at its existing location is $15.4 million, according to a consulting firm contracted to gather data.

That estimate included a potential buyout of the McDonald properties on the northwest corner of the block.

Owner Gerald McDonald of Fargo wanted $925,254 for the site.

Current market value for that property is $426,600, which is the combined value of three parcels of land, according to Moorhead Business and Development Services Manager Peter Doll.

Total projected costs to reuse the power plant site would have been about $9.6 million.

Hintermeyer said Moorhead Public Service still technically owns the building, and would not be willing to simply give it away.

“Don’t think that they’ll be giving it (the power plant) up for nothing,” he said.

A Minneapolis consulting firm figured site acquisition of the power plant would be at zero dollars during a site comparison study.

For several years, the Library Board has been thinking about relocating or expanding its facility to meet the needs of a growing community.

Board members began reviewing possibilities in late 2006, including the possibility of relocating to the old Moorhead power plant site.

City staff suggested the use because the power plant was in its last stages.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Kim Winnegge at (701) 241-5524

Old Posted Aug 13, 2008, 6:44 AM
still here

Jewel to perform at UP Center
Forum staff reports, The Forum

Singer/songwriter Jewel is slated to perform in Fargo on Nov. 2 at the Urban Plains Center as part of its opening weekend.

The concert announcement was posted to the UPC’s Web site Tuesday and is also listed on Ticketmaster.com. The concert begins at 7 p.m. with an unnamed opening act.

Tickets will go on sale at 10 a.m. Tuesday at all Ticketmaster outlets and by calling (701) 235-7171. Ticket prices range from $34.50 to $44.50.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest