HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 4:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ah good! Seems like someone made a complaint to HSR about blind people not being able to get off at the right stop.

In other cities they are installing automatic voice to signal what stop is next. I hope HSR places those on B and A Line.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 4:14 PM
Closed account

no kidding...such a simple step, but a very handy one.
Imagine a highway with no exit signs?? people wouldn't hear of it. transit has a long way to go in Canada to be treated as real mode of transport.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 9:26 PM
Hammer'd

Calling out the stops really should be made mandatory. It's not just incredibly helpful to those who are visually impaired but it gives a better sense of community just to hear those familiar street names called out. Doesn't feel like you're just on a metal tube with wheels zooming towards home, you actually know the entire time "Hey I'm in Hamilton." Going one step further and announcing possible connections and major shopping/tourist destinations would be great too: "Parkdale Ave - Transfer to 11 Parkdale North to Burlington Bus Terminal or South to Valley Park Loop" or "King and James - Jackson Square, Copps Coliseum"

Yah. I know. I'm being WAY too optimistic here. Took the TTC long enough to implement as it was.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 2:02 PM
Closed account

Ontario to put $1B into roads, transit

Higher-than-expected tax revenue will also be used for affordable housing, McGuinty says
Mar 21, 2008 04:30 AM
Robert Benzie
Queen's Park Bureau Chief
There will be an additional $1 billion for roads, bridges and transit in Tuesday's provincial budget, Premier Dalton McGuinty promises.

Breaking with the tradition of budget secrecy, McGuinty scooped Finance Minister Dwight Duncan yesterday to make the surprise announcement at a Downsview GO Transit garage.

In a hastily organized move, the premier crashed Transportation Minister Jim Bradley's scheduled announcement that the first of 22 Scottish-built double-decker GO buses would soon hit the road.

"In our budget we will be investing $1 billion in infrastructure to reach every Ontario community – from Windsor to Whitby to Wawa to Walkerton," the premier said.

"We're going to improve public transit, we're going to invest in roads and bridges and we're going to invest in affordable housing," he said.

"These kinds of investments will help create about 10,000 construction jobs and we'll get better housing, better homes for our families, and we'll have more choice – roads or transit – when it comes to getting to work."

The cash windfall is the result of higher-than-expected revenues from corporate, income and retail sales taxes. There's so much money flowing in that McGuinty also pledged new "strategic supports" for industry in the budget, but declined to elaborate.

Beyond the $100 million toward affordable housing that McGuinty announced last Monday, the premier could not say how and where the additional $900 million would be spent.

The money is over and above any funds that would be available to cities and towns if the budget surplus exceeds $800 million when the province's financial statements are finalized this summer.

Toronto Mayor David Miller welcomed McGuinty's move.

"While we will have to wait until the provincial budget for more details, I am encouraged that we will be able to continue to work with the province to make important infrastructure investments in Toronto's public transit, public housing, and roads," Miller said in a statement.

Rob MacIsaac, who chairs Metrolinx which oversees Great Toronto Area transit, called the investment "outstanding."

"We obviously have lots of needs. I think characterizing this as a start is the right way to put it," said MacIsaac, who couldn't say how great an impact the funding would have on the planned $17.5 billion MoveOntario 2020 GTA transit plan.

Progressive Conservative MPP Tim Hudak (Niagara West-Glanbrook) warned that Ontario's slowing economy needs a bigger jolt.

"We are a province of tremendous talent and entrepreneurial spirit and great potential, suffering under (the Liberals') outdated, high-tax and runaway (spending) policies," said Hudak.

NDP Leader Howard Hampton blasted the Liberals for touting the purchase of Scottish buses the same day as they voted down a New Democrat private member's bill to mandate that 50 per cent of all transit money be spent in Ontario.

"The New Democrats believe in `buy Ontario.' What we're seeing from the McGuinty Liberals is `sell out Ontario,'" Hampton said.

The government released a new policy later yesterday, saying that transit vehicles bought with provincial cash must now have at least 25 per cent Canadian content.

The edict does not affect the new Scottish-built GO buses, which will operate on Highways 403 and 407, between Oakville GO station and York University.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Yah. I know. I'm being WAY too optimistic here. Took the TTC long enough to implement as it was.
The only reason the TTC implemented their electronic audio and visual system was they had no choice. They lost a lawsuit launched against them by a man who's blind.

And it's still not 100%. I was on the York Mills 95B bus last night and the electronic sign was off, with no audio stop announcement. Of course the driver didn't call out a single stop, nice..........

All bus drivers should be made to call out stops as part of their job, period.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
"In our budget we will be investing $1 billion in infrastructure to reach every Ontario community – from Windsor to Whitby to Wawa to Walkerton," the premier said.
I guess there are no cities/towns starting with a "W" east of Whitby....................

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 2:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Tuesday sounds like an exciting day for public transit money.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 3:28 PM
Closed account

I'll believe it's "new" money when I see it.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 3:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

You've seen money for B-Line buses, trolley buses, future downtown terminal, hybrid buses, replacement buses, Lakeshore GO rail improvement and McMaster GO terminal. Probably the best Premier for public transit since Bill Davis.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
The only reason the TTC implemented their electronic audio and visual system was they had no choice. They lost a lawsuit launched against them by a man who's blind.

And it's still not 100%. I was on the York Mills 95B bus last night and the electronic sign was off, with no audio stop announcement. Of course the driver didn't call out a single stop, nice..........

You went right by my house if you were on the 95B

As for the announcements. Don't get me started on those. Drivers are suppose to announe the stops if the automated system is not working or on the bus. However most don't do it. I actually overheard one bus driver talking to another bus driver, and her words were
"what do they think I am, a babysitter having to announce stops for people".

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
man, i wish these went to the hunter station... if we end up with two terminals, it would be cool to have these as a shuttle between, arriving every few minutes or so :-)
The Waterfront Trolleys seem to be intended for tourists –- which explains the fare-free incentive, the starting point by the Sheraton/Hamilton Place/Convention Centre/AGH, the operating window (June-September are the city's 20°C+ months, brunch to sunset the time most would visit the waterfront) and the limited route stops. I don't think that the city looks on this as promoting ridership in the larger sense, more in adding appeal for out of towners. Whatever. It's a nice addition. I can easily imagine another of these servicing Van Wagners Beach/Confederation Park.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 5:18 PM

While the trolleys are overall quite attractive, a better job could have been one with the interior seating. The mix of wood benches and moulded seating looks kinda silly. Better to have splashed out a bit more gone with all wood seating along the back end and on the frame of the folding chairs by the accessible area.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 6:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

Youtube clip of the new trolley buses, you can hear the bell ringing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n20gGDWsa3g

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post

It would be nice if all drivers knew all their stops, but that won't happen. Regular drivers would. But a spare driver thrown into service might not know a single stop name on their first day. What they have to do is include a list of the stops with the timetables when they send the drivers out. And that's only good as an interim measure, as it's just another piece of paper blocking their panel.

The other problem is how to make the calls. Do the drivers shout it out, or use the intercom? The latter is currently a bad option, as it would require the driver to have a hand off the wheel for a longer period of time. If drivers can't use cell phones, should they be expected to be on the handset all the time?

I'm not against the idea, but drivers have enough distractions, and if they are expected to do more, they better have improved equipment. This doesn't just apply to the HSR. Newer technology like the impending GPS systems and possibly headsets would help out with this.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 12:57 AM
Hammer'd

No new paint scheme for the '08 buses any more. The HSR decided the gold looks stupid and is repainting the ones that were already delivered with it (and New Flyer is painting the un-delivered ones in the old scheme as well).

Bit of a waste of money. Would be nice if they'd do a demo bus in the gold/blue/yellow like the articulated buses if they're gonna dork around with the paint anyway. You'll never know how it looks until you try it...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 1:59 AM
Closed account

yea, it did look stupid. I like having colours in public transit vehicles, especially in our climate.
the gold was too boring and dull.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 11:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

So tomorrow is Budget day. They'll be $1 billion set towards infrastructure and it's rumoured that it'll be spilt based on population so Hamilton should get a good chunk of the infrastructure money. Hamilton is top 4 in Ontario.

So we're like what 5% of Ontario's population? That would be $50,000,000. Imagine what that kind of cash could go towards.

There's suppose to be a separate funding for Metrolinx, which they requested Hamilton get around $20 million (A-Line, B-Line and GO/VIA).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 11:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
So tomorrow is Budget day. They'll be $1 billion set towards infrastructure and it's rumoured that it'll be spilt based on population so Hamilton should get a good chunk of the infrastructure money. Hamilton is top 4 in Ontario.

So we're like what 5% of Ontario's population? That would be $50,000,000. Imagine what that kind of cash could go towards.

There's suppose to be a separate funding for Metrolinx, which they requested Hamilton get around $20 million (A-Line, B-Line and GO/VIA).
is this money for 'infrastructure' or 'transit'?? big difference in Hamilton. we'll spend most of it filling potholes unless the government requires it to be spent on transit.
unless eisenberger has managed to change anything at city hall, don't expect the city to voluntarily spend much of this on transit.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 1:18 AM
It's Hammer Time

I think it's towards infrastructure therefore giving cities to determine what goes towards what. Likely some of the money will go towards new sewer lines, pedestrian bridge, possible streetscape (perhaps King St), downtown transit terminal, and transit funding.

But there's likely more dedicated money strictly towards transit from funding Metrolinx.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 1:57 AM
Pro Urban Degenerate

I think Hamilton should contract a private infrastructure development firm to develop subway from Centennial Parkway to Dundas. Start thinking outside of the box and revolutionary things will happen.

Last edited by HAMRetrofit; Mar 25, 2008 at 3:17 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure