HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 6:16 AM

Davidivivid, you're quite the ambassador for U Laval, bravo! I don't remember it being so lovely when I studied there a couple years ago. The newest buildings are quite interesting, but living in Pavillion Alphonse-Marie Parent

I love university campuses and have been lucky enough to visit most of the major ones across Canada. UBC has an incredible location, but I hate most of the architecture. It's a shame more of the original campus plan was never realized. UofA and UofS are the best on the prairies although the latter has done a better job of maintaining cohesiveness; the more modern builds at UofA are monstrosical and dwarf the old red brick buildings. UofT (my fave) takes the cake in most regards though. The stock of architecture, both old, new, conversions etc really is incredible. Western is nice, but I feel a bit overrated, I preferred Queens' campus. McGill has some good bones, but it's so hemmed in by downtown it has made planning a nightmare. Most of the old Atlantic schools have some lovely little gems too.

Keep the pictures coming!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 2:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

UBC has the best location, but not the best architecture. Western has the best architecture if not the greatest location. McGill has great architecture and a great location. Thus, McGill wins for me.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 2:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The "Two Towers" of UWO. My place of employment.

travel globe pictures

UWO

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 4:49 PM

I'd post some pictures of University of Waterloo, but the majority of it was built in the 60's and 70's, and is ugly as hell.

The modern buildings are pretty cool, though.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 8:39 PM

Yeah, UW's M-C building and Hagey Hall are brutal. Dana Porter library and Davis Centre are alright in my books. The newer buildings are all generally nice. The new Quantom-Nano Centre is probably the coolest building on the campus. Unfortunately, the new apartment blocks rapidly rising outside the campus are pretty nasty.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 9:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here are some old pictures I took of Dalhousie's campus:

Wickwire field and main quad

University Club

Dunn Building (Physics)

The Chase Building is next door (Math) but I didn't bother taking a picture of it at the time because it was being renovated. Here's somebody else's picture:

Source

Originally Science, now Chemistry:

Forrest Building

King's College is technically independent but is on a corner of the Dalhousie campus -- it is similar to Waterloo and Laurier:

University Avenue, which has four or five blocks of newer buildings like this one before crossing Robie.

There's a lot of interesting residential architecture nearby:

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
Yeah, UW's M-C building and Hagey Hall are brutal. Dana Porter library and Davis Centre are alright in my books. The newer buildings are all generally nice. The new Quantom-Nano Centre is probably the coolest building on the campus. Unfortunately, the new apartment blocks rapidly rising outside the campus are pretty nasty.
MC is awesome. I can't imagine a better style of architecture for the building housing the computer labs and lounges in which we mathies spent thousands of hours slaving away than an enormous prison-like concrete bunker with scarce natural light. Not only was it symbolic, but also practical - you never really knew whether it was dark outside, so it could be 2pm or 2am and your body would just let you keep working away without feeling like it was bedtime. It felt like we were in our own little world, which you wouldn't get with a more open building. I miss those days!

Hagey Hall is kind of cool too, as I recall that's where the psychology department was located. The architecture was very institutional and clinical, and wandering through the narrow concrete hallways made me feel like one of their rats running around in a maze.

I was not a fan of the Davis Centre at all. I had an office there for a little while. It had an ugly color scheme and ugly carpets, and as a result felt dirty, and it had excessively narrow corridors with a huge lack of open floor space on the 2nd/3rd floors (in favor of the large atriums). I liked the library though, and it's a very interesting building to look at from the outside, which is probably what you meant.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 5:11 PM

Didn't want this thread to die so I'll post some old photos:

University of Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 6:06 PM
Torontonian Refugee

This thread made me realize how few photos I have of the UWO campus, sorta pathetic considering that I've been here more than two years. Does anyone from the London local have a decent camera to do a photo tour with?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 6:21 PM
Look at me!

Cool, they actually made U of S to look like a traditional east coast campus!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 6:35 PM

u of s is awesome. it is always growing and they are getting a second and better synchrotron/ Canadian light source.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 8:02 PM
surely you agree with me

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike474 View Post
Didn't want this thread to die so I'll post some old photos:

University of Saskatchewan
Thanks mike474! Great pictures of U of S! Brings back nice memories!

The majestically old Thorvaldson Building ... Home of Room 271 -- The Airplane Room!

I had some of my chemistry classes lectures there. It's totally filled with character from another era! I recommend visiting it!

I did not shoot any of the paper airplanes into the ceiling!

http://wikimapia.org/841642/Thorvaldson-Building
http://news.usask.ca/archived_ocn/05...eature03.shtml

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff Bucket View Post
Thanks mike474! Great pictures of U of S! Brings back nice memories!

The majestically old Thorvaldson Building ... Home of Room 271 -- The Airplane Room!

I had some of my chemistry classes lectures there. It's totally filled with character from another era! I recommend visiting it!

I did not shoot any of the paper airplanes into the ceiling!

http://wikimapia.org/841642/Thorvaldson-Building
http://news.usask.ca/archived_ocn/05...eature03.shtml
Thorvaldson is the nicest building on campus. Its a treat to have class there everyday.

I have yet to get an airplane into the roof.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 9:47 PM

This is the Airplane Room if anyone is wondering.
Students try to get paper airplanes to stick into the acoustical foam on the ceiling.

Apparently there is a 'dead seat' where you can't hear the professor.

Source

Source

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 9:54 PM
Starring as himself

Saskatchewan is one of the nicest campuses in Canada. Realistically, not many eastern campuses are really all that much older than the U of S. Universities before the 20th century were mostly just a handful of buildings, if that. At University of Toronto "founded 1827" there is University College (rebuilt after a fire in the 1890s) and Wycliffe College ... I don't know what else there is pre-1900.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 10:27 PM
Starring as himself

Here are a few by me of the University of Toronto (labelled under each photo):

The Faculty of Law

Varsity Stadium

Soldiers' Tower and Laidlaw Library (University College)

Stewart Building through the pillars of the Pharmacy Building

Tanz Neuroscience Building (old Botany Building) and the Donnelly Centre for neuro-something

Still the University's proudest moment.

Robarts Library. One of those little slit windows was my study carrel for several years.

Quadrangle of Massey College, where I lived for a few years.

Trinity College

World War I memorial at the foot of the Soldiers' Tower, listing the U of T casualties.

Tanz Building reflected in the Pharmacy building.

Rear of Flavelle House, one of the two law school buildings. That portico was glassed-in when I went to law school, but they did away with that in the last renovation in the late 1980s.

Hart House Circle.

Portico at the rear of the Laidlaw Library. This looks old but actually it dates from around 1980.

Football in the Back Campus.

University College Quadrangle in winter

University College, lightning rod (non-metaphorical)

Velut arbor aevo ('as a tree in time'), the U of T motto. Detail from the main entrance to University College.

University College from across the Front Campus, last spring.

Trinity College dining hall. I think this was during Doors Open a couple of years ago.

Regis College, the Jesuit college located in Christie House, which was built by the Christie biscuit family in the early 1900s.

The World War II section of the war memorial at the Soldiers' Tower.

Varsity Stadium sprouts a Golf Dome thing in the wintertime. It just went up this week again.

Wycliffe College, the Anglican theological college and one of the oldest buildings on campus.

Graduate House. The world's leading specimen of neo-uber-brutalism.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 10:46 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Saskatchewan is one of the nicest campuses in Canada. Realistically, not many eastern campuses are really all that much older than the U of S. Universities before the 20th century were mostly just a handful of buildings, if that. At University of Toronto "founded 1827" there is University College (rebuilt after a fire in the 1890s) and Wycliffe College ... I don't know what else there is pre-1900.
Agreed.

Photographs of the College of Law building ($16.5M renovation and addition was completed in 2008):

Source: University of Saskatchewan

Law Building by University of Saskatchewan, on Flickr

Native Law Centre in the Law Building by University of Saskatchewan, on Flickr

Native Law Centre at the University of Saskatchewan by University of Saskatchewan, on Flickr

Green roof:

Source: University of Saskatchewan

Public art in the courtyard:

Weird Sculpture by Huy Dang, on Flickr
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 11:18 PM
Registered Loser

oh god yes. things like this are the main reason i'd want to go to an old east-coast college; my school was formed in the 1960's and everything about it reflects that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada