HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 1:30 AM

For all I know I may have asked this already, but does anyone know why the abandoned hotel near the new downtown Skyhouse hasn't been torn down? I can't imagine paying top dollar in one of the new highrises and having a view of that.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:09 AM

Not enough money or interest. So it rots.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 8:33 PM

500 Crawford:

2014-06-17 19.50.13 by marclongoria, on Flickr

2014-06-17 19.49.12 by marclongoria, on Flickr

2014-06-17 18.56.16 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Out with the old, in with the new... GRB Convention ramp:

2014-06-17 19.00.47 by marclongoria, on Flickr

2014-06-17 19.00.51 by marclongoria, on Flickr

2014-06-17 19.01.46 by marclongoria, on Flickr

The ramp is going below Highway 59 now:

2014-06-17 19.46.08 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Block 334:

2014-06-17 19.30.45 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Marriott Marquis:

2014-06-17 19.18.47 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Leeland Federal Building:

2014-06-17 20.02.31 by marclongoria, on Flickr

2014-06-17 20.02.25 by marclongoria, on Flickr

2014-06-17 20.03.18 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Old Central Bank Building Renovation:

2014-06-17 20.05.32 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 3:20 AM

I like those paint blotches. They need to be a permanent feature of the bank reno.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 4:07 AM
disorient yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
I like those paint blotches. They need to be a permanent feature of the bank reno.
What would also be cool is if someone set up a projector there and made it a moving portrait similar to the "spitting mouth" in Chicago.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 4:16 PM

More details on what was formerly the Springwoods Village Town Center project. A nice render accompanies the story that HBJ won't share. Two office buildings totalling 440,000 sf are said to be in the offing, along with apartments and hotels.

Plans emerge for major mixed-use development near Exxon Mobil campus

Last edited by toxteth o'grady; Jun 20, 2014 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 4:18 PM

The growth just accelerates. $7.3 billion in permits for the year ended in May, and the trend is decidedly up.

Building Permits Total $7.3B for Twelve Months Ending In May

Nice little uptick in May. No wonder Emirates is bringing the A380 to Houston in December.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
The growth just accelerates. $7.3 billion in permits for the year ended in May, and the trend is decidedly up.

Building Permits Total $7.3B for Twelve Months Ending In May

Nice little uptick in May. No wonder Emirates is bringing the A380 to Houston in December.
That is awesome!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 6:46 PM

BisNow is teasing us again. According to today's posting, there may be another 8.4 million sf of office projects waiting to start up in the Energy Corridor. Various details are provided, along with photos of construction in the I-10 corridor. Hints: Energy Center V start next month and Shell wants to add a sixth office building to its Woodbranch campus.

Energy Corridor Bird's-Eye Update

The latest Texas Workforce Commission statistics indicate that as of May 2014, Houston has added 100,000 jobs in both 2012 and 2013, and the statistics show 93,000 jobs added in the most recent 12 months. Judging by the uptick in dollar volume on the graph above, May and June will also see a spurt of hiring in the construction sector, and that doesn't even reflect the 20,000 or so new jobs that the two petrochemical plants that broke ground in the past week will generate.

Last edited by toxteth o'grady; Jun 20, 2014 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 6:57 PM

Hermann Park Residences: This will be going up next to The Tower at Hermann Place

http://www.age-se.com/hermann-park-residence

Quote:
Hermann Park Residence has been designed to meet the City of Houston Local and Green building codes. Herman Park Residence will include 227 residential units as well as several public amenity spaces for tenant use. These include a 2,600 square foot Sky Lounge on the top level with views to Hermann Park and Centennial Gardens, as well as a 3,600 square foot fitness center on the ground floor that provides immediate access to the trails and golf course at Hermann Park. The ground floor will also contain a 1,200 square foot business center/internet café as well as a 2,000 square foot club room with views to the property’s private interior courtyard where an outdoor fire pit, lounge area, and swimming pool are located.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 7:11 PM

Update on Regent Square, big thanks to Triton/TritonHouston!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton
I don't know how Urby knew, but he's right! Went to their leasing office and they treated me like a news reporter (like royalty by showing me around the place). Actually had a person walk me through the entire new design (I have her contact information Urby if you want to keep in touch with them... she is emailing me additional photos today). The model is actually pretty cool and it lists the type of development by the lights... in other words, retail lighting came on with the push of a button, commercial lighting, office lighting, etc.

Let me just start off by saying the all glass condominium is officially gone. At least for the next phase, it is.

This is the original design:

Here's the final design before construction starts next year (The model has been at the leasing off for a few weeks now):

This is the next apartment complex in the center right and the Alamo Drafthouse (which is 100% going here at this location) that has taken the place of the glass condo...

Based on the timeline right now, they told me construction of this next phase should start Q1 of next year. (She told me January or February of 2015).

That's the Regent Square representative helping me around the model.... not a giant human monster. That's Sovereign in the background including the early stages of Phase III.

We should all be familiar with this side... it is looking from Allen Parkway:

Note how the tower on the right is now gone (same picture from earlier)
Edit: The tower is "gone" at the moment but still in it's very early design stages.

This is the only building lit because it is an office tower

Parking garages lit

This is also the other area we should know by now as well:

I think we had seen this before... outdoor glass cafe or future restaurant:

This is Phase III which is still in its early stages:

They are talking about a tall condo highrise being located here

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Hermann Park Residences: This will be going up next to The Tower at Hermann Place

http://www.age-se.com/hermann-park-residence

Does this leave enough room for the tower that is supposed to sit on the corner of Jackson and Hermann?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 6:29 AM

Pearl at The Mix: Demolition underway at 2910 Milam.

Southside Place: By Mill Creek Residential, on Bellaire Blvd.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Not enough money or interest. So it rots.
I would have thought the city would start proceedings to force the land or building owner to demolish the structure. it's a huge blight on the landscape (regarding the abandoned hotel near the Skyhouse).

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 7:25 PM

There are two abandoned hotels in that part of downtown: the Savoy and Days Inn. One has a happy ending and the other is THE major eyesore for Downtown Houston. A Tale of Two Shitties....

The Savoy is adjacent to Skyhouse. It is a two part building, 7 stories built in 1909, Houston's first highrise apartment, and a 17 story addition built in 1966. It has been vacant since 1988 but is currently undergoing renovation into a Holiday Inn Flagship. According to this article from the Houston Chronicle it is in great shape.

The Days Inn is the biggest eyesore in Downtown Houston and it has been for decades. It is pretty fascinating why this remains in limbo but it apparently involves the guru to the Beatles, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi - yeah you just read that right.

Here is a story about it by Ivan Koop Kuper from 2012 which pretty much gives the entire history, including the groovy parts and the not so groovy parts of the story, such as asbestos abatement.

As it cannot be torn down, I suggest the city condemn it and then turn it into a 33-Story LED advertising support structure which can generate money for funding infrastructure projects.

Last edited by DBGHouston; Jun 21, 2014 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGHouston View Post
There are two abandoned hotels in that part of downtown: the Savoy and Days Inn. One has a happy ending and the other is THE major eyesore for Downtown Houston. A Tale of Two Shitties....

The Savoy is adjacent to Skyhouse. It is a two part building, 7 stories built in 1909, Houston's first highrise apartment, and a 17 story addition built in 1966. It has been vacant since 1988 but is currently undergoing renovation into a Holiday Inn Flagship. According to this article from the Houston Chronicle it is in great shape.

The Days Inn is the biggest eyesore in Downtown Houston and it has been for decades. It is pretty fascinating why this remains in limbo but it apparently involves the guru to the Beatles, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi - yeah you just read that right.

Here is a story about it by Ivan Koop Kuper from 2012 which pretty much gives the entire history, including the groovy parts and the not so groovy parts of the story, such as asbestos abatement.

As it cannot be torn down, I suggest the city condemn it and then turn it into a 33-Story LED advertising support structure which can generate money for funding infrastructure projects.
Sad story about the Days Inn. Interesting, but sad. Thanks for the link.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 3:21 AM

A 7-story apartment tower on Bellaire? Near Southside Place? CALL OUT THE NIMBYs!!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 5:09 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I would have thought the city would start proceedings to force the land or building owner to demolish the structure. it's a huge blight on the landscape (regarding the abandoned hotel near the Skyhouse).
City would have to have good reason to knock it down without owner approval...ugliness not one of them. Unless site is needed for a new road or infrastructure or the building structurally unsafe, not much can be done about it.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2014, 7:39 PM

Multifamily Highrise, Midrise, and homes to go up on Beacon Island - Clear Lake

Page 26:

http://www.bayareahouston.com/Assets...rch%202014.pdf

Woodloft Multifamily Midrise - Shenandoah by highway 45

And lastly an update for a mixed-use development in Pasadena

Quote:
Pasadena – Strategic Advisory Group was contracted by the Pasadena Second Century Corporation
(economic development corporation) to prepare developer solicitation packages to identify potential
development partners for the various components outlined in the master plan prepared by SAG. They will
manage the developer solicitation process and select a short list of candidates from which to request a formal
proposal. The proposed staggered development project includes a hotel, water park, amphitheatre, retail and restaurant facilities and would include an entertainment venue based on concepts approved by Mickey Gilley.
The site is portions of the 200 acres adjacent to and surrounding the Pasadena Convention Center on
Fairmont Parkway.
http://www.bayareahouston.com/Assets...%20version.pdf

Old Posted Jun 24, 2014, 3:29 AM

The Deyaar property near the Galleria that everyone thought was ripe for a supertall...has been sold. No word on who bought it, or for what.

Prime Galleria-area site sold

On edit: Bob McNair has bought the property. This one's probably not a theatre.

Last edited by toxteth o'grady; Jun 24, 2014 at 7:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations