HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 2:58 AM

Public being Shut Out of Olympics

From a great series in the Seattle Times. Shameful the hotel gouging that's going on, fighting for the leftovers after Olympic sponges and sponsors have had their shot at the trough :

.....Jim Jeffreys got lucky — sort of. The Seattle school administrator landed $2,100 worth of Olympic tickets, then struggled to find a way to use them in a city where basic hotels are charging more than $1,000 a night.

Ed Dooley got mad. After scoring four tickets, then giving up on lodging, the retired chief financial officer from Sequim spent the better part of a year writing letters and making angry phone calls about an Olympic ticketing and accommodations system he calls a classic, unregulated monopoly.

Dooley's conclusion: "I think they're a bunch of bandits."...

The truth: The public will be a bit player in the made-for-TV drama unfolding in Vancouver and Whistler. Consider:

• In spite of record demand, fans seeking tickets to premier events such as medal-round hockey games will have access to only about one-quarter of the seats normally available in Vancouver's 19,000-seat General Motors Place. Sponsors, media and VIPs take the lion's share....

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...tickets15.html

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 3:04 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I find it funny how Bellingham was expecting to benefit from the Olympics. It's time to wake up: this is the case for all the Olympic games.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 3:30 AM

they are in some ways - the US set up a large security office there for the games - staff quite a large number of security officers etc form all over the states - not related to the official olympics - but was set uop in case something went wrong at the games the US could and would have a centre very close to deal with things

I agree though - the hotels taking advantage is bad, the whole ticket thing isn't great either - way too expensive and strict for most people

a person i used to work with won tickets for an event in whistler - but there is no where to stay in whistler so they might not even go, its not worth the hassle

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 3:38 AM

Not for the whole debate. But regarding your friend, SpongeG, if they are local to Vancouver (I couldn't tell from your post), you should seriously suggest they look at https://www.ridebooker.com/shuttle/ to see about booking a one day round-trip on the shuttle. They might be able to go to the event and return on the same day . . . just make a day of it. It's not as cheap as driving, but it's a heck of lot cheaper than any hotels during the stay.

Have them check it out.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 3:48 AM

What I got out of the article is

The... Public who did not plan ahead, and decided not to try booking a hotel room until 3 months before the Olympics, are Being Shut Out of Olympics.

Hundreds of thousands of tickets were available, and everybody I know who wanted tickets, got some. Sure, we can't all get Gold Medal tickets, but the arena DOES have seating capacity limits.

If they had made a rink in BC Place with 60,000+ seats, it would still sell out, and some people still couldn't get tickets

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
What I got out of the article is

The... Public who did not plan ahead, and decided not to try booking a hotel room until 3 months before the Olympics, are Being Shut Out of Olympics....
They were unable to book hotels until recently. The various functionaries and hangars-on etc had all the rooms locked up years ago.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 7:52 PM

Lack of hotel space is not really a new issue with the Olympics. Rooms were first being offered nearly 2 years ago at all major hotels (and yes, of course, they were booked fast), cruiseships, house rentals, etc. Unfortunately the Olympics are not an event where you can just show up without planning far in the past. It's not a sudden thing, people have known about these Olympics for 7 years.

There will be plenty of "public" at the games. They will, however, have planned to be coming for a couple of years now

Next we'll be hearing surprise that planes arriving and departing at YVR are full, and are more expensive, during the Olympics.

Last edited by Yume-sama; Nov 19, 2009 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjimbc View Post
Not for the whole debate. But regarding your friend, SpongeG, if they are local to Vancouver (I couldn't tell from your post), you should seriously suggest they look at https://www.ridebooker.com/shuttle/ to see about booking a one day round-trip on the shuttle. They might be able to go to the event and return on the same day . . . just make a day of it. It's not as cheap as driving, but it's a heck of lot cheaper than any hotels during the stay.

Have them check it out.
thx they live in Chilliwack - and won the tickets through ICBC - the special plate thing... I think thats what they will do

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 8:37 PM

Even though I live in the city, I won't be going to any of the sporting events. Not that I don't have ~$500 to spend per match for a decent seat to a decent game, but I could spend that money on other things which are much more worthwhile.
For the price of two better games, I could buy another nice HDTV and watch the games 24/7 in both the living room and bedroom.

I cringe at the though of someone spending $10k flights/accomodations/tickets. However, it is their money to burn.
I will be going to the victory ceremonies though, as I work in a company that is a sponsor. Would pay for those if they turn out as described though.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 10:01 PM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Even though I live in the city, I won't be going to any of the sporting events. Not that I don't have ~$500 to spend per match for a decent seat to a decent game, but I could spend that money on other things which are much more worthwhile.
Why do people divulge these kinds of personal details? Couldn't your point have been made without referring to your comfortable financial situation?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 10:31 PM

I view it as a once in a lifetime situation. Yes, you could buy several flat screen TV's, but in the end... you throw those away.

You can't throw away the memories of BEING there, and we're all quite lucky to have a chance

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 10:34 PM

a lot of people don't plan ahead - lots of people finally buy into the hype when its close to the event - there is no chance for that though really - this last batch of tix just went on sale now and there is nowhere to stay apparently

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 10:43 PM

People should probably have looked in to that before investing large amounts of money on tickets.

Hotels have been sold out for well over a year, we all knew that. There was even an article about how there's only 1 hotel room left in the city... a $10,000 / night Penthouse

It comes down to people having to be creative now, there are still people offering up someone to come stay in a guest room, etc.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 11:38 PM

thats not the point - most of the excitement of something only builds when it gets close - people are not planners for the most part

there is no way to be spontaneous or get wrapped up in the excitement at the last minute

I am still underwhelmed and not excited about the games - io am sure come february when the buzz is on the streets it will hit me and I will get into it but right now i could give a rats ass about it all

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 11:57 PM
Transit User

Smile

Ed Dooley does not need any hotel rooms. He could save himself a lot of money by just sleeping on the street - the police would pick him up and put him into a nice shelter to protect him from the cold anyway.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 11:59 PM

Seattle has been running story after story after story (okay, 3 plus many editorials and letters from readers) focussing on how badly managed or 'corrupt' VANOC is. What's the stick up their butt? Why are they the only media centre that is complaining?

Honestly, the righteousness I detect from some of the letters and editorials makes me wonder why they should care that much when it's OUR games to host and OUR tax dollars being spent?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
thats not the point - most of the excitement of something only builds when it gets close - people are not planners for the most part

there is no way to be spontaneous or get wrapped up in the excitement at the last minute

I am still underwhelmed and not excited about the games - io am sure come february when the buzz is on the streets it will hit me and I will get into it but right now i could give a rats ass about it all
Well, aren't you special There were tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people who felt differently and did plan ahead.

If they didn't the hotel rooms wouldn't have all sold out, over a year ago.

The early bird gets the worm.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 12:03 AM

whatever

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 12:13 AM
Transit User

And while on the subject of being shut out

I am being shut out of Coal Harbour gym from January to March due to Olympics. So, I will have to play pickup basketball in Burnaby...

I am strongly leaning towards forming some sort of anti-Olympics group to protest this injustice. How does "Coal Harbour Basketball Players Against Olympics" sound to you guys? Our demands are simple - Either Olympics people clear out of the Coal Harbour gym or we go to Lausanne, Switzerland and take over a gym there for 3 months when we see fit!!!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 12:16 AM

Your group could have legs. It's one of the better cases of "human rights violations" that protesters have come up with

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]