HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Thanks! I vaguely remember watching this video a while back, and it seems to be an accurate representation of what we're now seeing.

They've got three pieces of the launcher hooked up now. I wonder if they'll push it out across the tracks before assembling the remaining three pieces on the site.

jglover1028's Flickr
It appears the blue piece on the bottom of the first launcher is movable. Hopefully, the move it across the temporary platform soon. Work at the site has slowed substantially now that their overnight permit has expired. They seem to only work from 7am to 4pm now.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 9:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
Glad someone else caught this. I saw this the first time the video was posted then people started saying none of the building was going out onto the platforms. If the building is going part way onto the platforms this will be in my mind an engineering wonder.
You misunderstand. Portions of the towers have always been "over" the platform. The cores of the building won't be on the platform, they will be in the bedrock. That's a distinction that Brookfield has made, and the platform itself won't support the towers, but will serve as the "bridge" between them and the rest of Manhattan.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 9:04 PM

The magical, ever-growing Launcher continues it's march. There are currently 7 connected pieces on this "half." I don't know how many more, if any, will fit when they push it out fully across the span.

jglover1028

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 1:02 PM
New Yorker for life

There are so many things going on in the city right now, that a project of this size - very much like a new World Trade Center - is pretty much lost on the public. It's overshadowed by Related's Hudson yards development, so it can't even get the spotlight there. It needs dramatic renderings and press releases to drum up excitement. A project of this magnitude shouldn't be so low key.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
There are so many things going on in the city right now, that a project of this size - very much like a new World Trade Center - is pretty much lost on the public. It's overshadowed by Related's Hudson yards development, so it can't even get the spotlight there. It needs dramatic renderings and press releases to drum up excitement. A project of this magnitude shouldn't be so low key.
It seems like Brookfield needs to hire few people in Marketing Department.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 7:02 PM

This and hudson yards are like the modern day grand central/east side development, which is great. The only thing that could make this better is if it was happening faster but I'm fine with the pace as is.

Last edited by King DenCity; Aug 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 9:10 PM
New Yorker for life

I noticed they were working below track level for the first time today.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 11:53 PM

Closer look at the machine.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 7:12 PM

A new piece of equipment has appeared out on the temporary platform next to the launcher segment. It's hard to tell what it is, though. You can also see the backhoes down near the tracks and some erected stairs leading down to the track level. There's definitely more activity in that area, as NYguy had mentioned.

jglover1028

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 12:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Yeah, they've been "quietly" busy.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 2:27 AM

Quote:
A new piece of equipment has appeared out on the temporary platform next to the launcher segment. It's hard to tell what it is, though. You can also see the backhoes down near the tracks and some erected stairs leading down to the track level. There's definitely more activity in that area, as NYguy had mentioned.

jglover1028
That is one of the legs of the launch girder-they go on the ends to support it and allow the precast sections to hang below.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeit View Post
That is one of the legs of the launch girder-they go on the ends to support it and allow the precast sections to hang below.
Ah yes, makes sense. Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, makes sense. Thanks!
They have been delivering several large launcher pieces behind my apartment on the 33rd street site. Earlier in the week they also installed several blue pieces which appear to be the mechanisms that make the launcher move over the tracks.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 6:55 PM

All 4 legs are on site. They should be attached soon.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 12:49 PM
New Yorker for life

August 26, 2013

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 2:59 PM

Thanks NYguy for the photos of the legs.

I assume they will start assembly of the launcher's second beam AFTER they mount the current assembled beam on one set of legs

That should be an interesting lift...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 4:11 AM

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 8:22 PM

I think that it will be a single-beam gantry with the lifting devices attached to the base. The falsework towers would suggest the height of the structure-they should be placed underneath so that the legs can be attached..

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 11:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The thing I'm thinking is just how all of these developments in the area are going to impact the population of the neighborhood. I think of all the residential's going up, and the offices, and wonder: What will the daytime population be? Or even better, in the whole city lets say 5 to 10 years from now? Traffic is definitely going to increase in such a already dense part of Manhattan. People I think will realize the scope of the boom once they notice the increase in traffic and pedestrians. Similar to how Lower Manhattan seems a little more alive in terms of residents since compared to a decade ago for ago where I believe 17,000 lived there, now its over 60,000+.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:29 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Sure would be nice if this were right next to a train station.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive