HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
What's so ugly about the lumber industry?
I would take Ottawa over Chetwynd or Prince George BC any day.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 6:44 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
In what possible way is it a success story?

Encouraging suburban and exurban sprawl?
The comparative evidence with other Canadian cities that I've seen doesn't support this claim. In its developed areas, Ottawa is developed at higher densities than the larger-by-population cities of Calgary and Edmonton, neither of which have greenbelts. Edmonton is actually the worst of the lot, since, unlike Calgary - but like Ottawa - it was surrounded by smaller municipalities that let loose.

It is quite likely that without the Greenbelt, areas of the city within the Greenbelt would have been developed at a lower density than they actually were. Similar lower densities would be expected in what is now the Greenbelt itself.
Quote:

Increasing the costs of providing public services?
The big ones here on the infrastructure provisioning side are roads and water. Of these, the higher costs of providing water is due to the decision to centralize water production. Barrhaven should not be supplied from Britannia, but it is; it should have its own water plants on the Rideau River. Likewise, Kanata ought to have its own plants at Shirley's Bay, and Orléans its own again.

For roads, most of that cost is borne not by municipal taxpayers but by provincial taxpayers for freeways that likely would have been built anyway. What really should have happened is that the rail lines in the region should have been used early on for commuter rail service to a downtown train station. In that case, the Greenbelt would have been an advantage as it would create a "mental" break in the city that would encourage people to take a train to cross "all that empty countryside".

There issues are not directly a result of the Greenbelt per se, but rather a failure to properly incorporate the fact of the Greenbelt into our regional planning at all three/four levels.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Obviously you are not old enough to know. To have the view from Parliament Hill being smoke stacks, dilapidated industrial buildings and piles of pulp wood. If you think that is beautiful, be my guest, but I remember those days.
You mean the view that was so "ugly" we featured in on our currency for decades? That view?

Quote:
I have my doubts that the rail lines would have survived the inevitable de-industrialization of Ottawa.
There was nothing "inevitable" about a wholesale assault on the private-sector industries of Ottawa that was done by design.

Quote:
Well, if you think no public use is better than less than ideal public use, so be it. Much of what was built along the rivers in the old days were run down industrial buildings and ramshackle cottages.
They would not have remained so forever; the market has a funny way of dealing with waterfront property, as you can see in cities that (a) have a watrerfront that (b) hasn't been entirely taken over by an absentee government landlord that has no interest in the land beyond the supposed national interest of prettyism and shrubs.

Quote:
Ottawa of the old days treated the rivers as industrial sewers. Not something to be proud of.
And now we treat them as sacrasanct national-interest greenspace "for all Canadians", which is a bullshit philosophy that is no better, and in many ways worse.

Toronto doesn't do its urban planning for Edmontonians. Or vice-versa.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
For roads, most of that cost is borne not by municipal taxpayers but by provincial taxpayers for freeways that likely would have been built anyway.
That distance also increases the cost of transit, garbage collection, recycling, and the movement of emergency vehicles, all of which are municipal. Transit is by far the most egregious case; tens of thousands of bus-kilometres every day, with the attendant fuel and maintenance costs, and virtually nothing in the way of revenue to offset the cost.

Maybe, since the Greenbelt exists "for all Canadians", the taxpayers of Hamilton and Moose Jaw should pick up some of those costs.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 9:15 PM

Quote:
You mean the view that was so "ugly" we featured in on our currency for decades? That view?

There was nothing "inevitable" about a wholesale assault on the private-sector industries of Ottawa that was done by design.

They would not have remained so forever; the market has a funny way of dealing with waterfront property, as you can see in cities that (a) have a watrerfront that (b) hasn't been entirely taken over by an absentee government landlord that has no interest in the land beyond the supposed national interest of prettyism and shrubs.

And now we treat them as sacrasanct national-interest greenspace "for all Canadians", which is a bullshit philosophy that is no better, and in many ways worse.

Toronto doesn't do its urban planning for Edmontonians. Or vice-versa.
The only way to fix these would be to seriously improve citizen engagement in Ottawa. Until that happens, there will be no chance of changing it

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:07 PM
National Capital Region

Articles on the history Ottawa's urban framework and how planning shifted from the federal/Provincial governments to the RMOC
http://nelson.cen.umontreal.ca/revue.../1016050ar.pdf
http://www.carlsbadsprings.ca/?p=1423

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 12:30 AM

If anything I strongly believe we need to be doubling down on the greenbelt and creating another one to protect the Carp Hills, what's left of the March Highlands, and wetlands and rivers that run through our suburban areas.

These areas belong to the Commons- not private landowners and thus should be Crown land. The Ottawa greenbelt represents one of the worlds largest urban parks and I don't consider breaking up the continuous sprawl of a urban area "green space fetishism"- but then again I grew up in a small town where my backyard was literally kms of unspoiled woods and I escape into the greenbelt time and time again.

Sprawl is an global issue and just transfer ownership of X amount fo land to the Crown isn't going to magically make it not happen- to think other wise is naive to be polite. Esp. looking at the changes in transportation 1940s vs 2015. The world is a lot smaller today.

A lot of you have the bias the cynicism of born and raised Ottawans, and thus can't see the forest for the trees. 203 square kms of land transferred to the Crown- thus the people- in 1956, now THATs visionary thinking.

Instead most seem to advocate for 203 square kms of more sprawl. A lot of the comments citing increased municipal costs should really be blamed on the amalgamation. There's no reason Kanata, Barrhaven, Orleans shouldn't be their own towns with their own snow removal/garbage/ect and their own greenbelts, while public transit- like our highways currently are- could be uploaded to the Province. *That* could be it's own common sense revolution.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 12:37 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

If the greenbelt were wild parklands it would be great, but it seems to be like 80% farmland. Not useless, but not really parkland.

I am sad that Hamilton will probably be copying Ottawa's history with greenbelts as it had suburbs on the other side of the greenbelt set up there before that belt was set up.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:09 AM

Canada has a inherent geo-poltical challenge: the vast majority of it's grade A farmland is located closest to it's major urban areas and is existentially threatened by development. In Ontario- that's the Ottawa Valley, and Southern Ontario. We already have a climate that doesn't allow year long growing and further destroying farmland increases our trade deficit, weakens our purchasing power, and weakens our security. Why has the CPI been increasing as of late (even at the time of record low energy costs)- mostly pushed up by the cost of food imported from the States at a time when our dollar is weak. This further weakens our purchasing power. A weak dollar buys less food on the international market. More disposable money going towards food means less discretionary spending. Less discretionary spending in a consumer economy means a weaker GDP and less over all wealth.

Areas like Vaughan should have been developed with farmland intact between urban areas- "the Ottawa model" if I dare say so. This would have protected grade A farmland from destruction and increased air quality in the GTA, and the health of the water table (as more land undeveloped allows an area to naturally soak up high rainfall without expensive storm water management). There's no reason in the 1960s Toronto couldn't have taken the same route of Ottawa and controlled it's sprawl better by allowing suburban developments to happen around farmland- Vaughan is a perfect example of this. If for every two acre of land in the sprawl zones of Toronto 1 acre of land been set aside for farmland in the form of a greenbelt we would be a more prosperous, independent nation with healthier communities. Instead we rely on importing the vast majority of our food from California and Mexico. As climate change and drought vastly alters California's growing conditions over the next half decade watch the cost of imported food skyrocket.

East Gwillimbury is currently seeing massive growth on top of Ontario's main source of Carrots, among other things.

> Designated as a future growth area under the Places to Grow Act by the Province of Ontario, East Gwillimbury will see growth from 23,000 residents in 2010, to approximately 88,400 people and 34,000 jobs by the year 2031. Despite the large amount of growth, almost 75% of East Gwillimbury land will not be developed as it is part of both the Greenbelt and the Oak Ridges Moraine. Rather than being spread out throughout the town, growth will be concentrated in the existing villages of Holland Landing, Sharon, Queensville and Mount Albert.

Now that sounds like what the Greenbelt has in part done for Ottawa- protected Grade A farmland, increased air quality and ultimately concentrated development in satellite cities. If it wasn't for the Greenbelt I argue that the development Kanata, Barrhaven and Orleans represents would *not* be self contained towns- rather, as it's be repeatedly argued for in this thread- tacked on sprawl the same intercity suburbs. I.e. the same commercial zones, community centres ect. We would have more areas like College Square, more areas like Merivale Road, more areas like the Train Yards. Woodroffe Avenue through the Greenbelt would be just like Merivale Road is now- sprawling car centric development. That is not to say that these developments are not built in Kanata or Barrhaven. But, rather then being more "intercity sprawl" you actually do have self-contained cities.

You can live in Barrhaven and never travel outside of it's boundaries. More so with Kanata and Orleans. Can the same be said for Nepean? Not when I lived for 3 years around College Square. Adding 203 square kms of Nepean style intercity sprawl would not make Ottawa more livable or more dense.

Last edited by Mikeed; Mar 31, 2015 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Articles on the history Ottawa's urban framework and how planning shifted from the federal/Provincial governments to the RMOC
http://nelson.cen.umontreal.ca/revue.../1016050ar.pdf
http://www.carlsbadsprings.ca/?p=1423
Some fantastic reads. Reading about Carlsbad Springs is kind of sad tbh.

Oh what could have been.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:03 AM

Protecting our existing farmland (especially including the experimental farm) should be one of our top priorities when considering development.
The unfortunate part is that the groups that should focus on the whole are really really slow, and really really dependent on achieving the highest public opinion rating possible.
Maybe its time for council to start badgering QP for more power.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergate View Post
Protecting our existing farmland (especially including the experimental farm) should be one of our top priorities when considering development.
The unfortunate part is that the groups that should focus on the whole are really really slow, and really really dependent on achieving the highest public opinion rating possible.
Not sure about that. The province has proved more competent than the municipalities for the most part. Plus as a larger, higher up level of government it's less likely to be unduly influenced by specific interests.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
The only way to fix these would be to seriously improve citizen engagement in Ottawa. Until that happens, there will be no chance of changing it
I don't think there's a problem with "citizen engagement" in Ottawa, except to the extent that so much of it is rampant, naked, NIMBYism.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeed View Post
If anything I strongly believe we need to be doubling down on the greenbelt and creating another one to protect the Carp Hills, what's left of the March Highlands, and wetlands and rivers that run through our suburban areas.
If you want to protect those things, protect those specific things, but a holus-bolus brownbelt for brownbelt's sake is bad economic and environmental policy.

Quote:
These areas belong to the Commons- not private landowners and thus should be Crown land. The Ottawa greenbelt represents one of the worlds largest urban parks
Very little of which has any inherent value, and most of which just sits there, doing nothing, which is not what an "urban park" is supposed to do.

Quote:
and I don't consider breaking up the continuous sprawl of a urban area "green space fetishism"- but then again I grew up in a small town where my backyard was literally kms of unspoiled woods
So was mine.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:03 PM

Quote:
You can live in Barrhaven and never travel outside of it's boundaries. More so with Kanata and Orleans. Can the same be said for Nepean? Not when I lived for 3 years around College Square. Adding 203 square kms of Nepean style intercity sprawl would not make Ottawa more livable or more dense.
I am trying to figure out how Nepean differs from Kanata or Farrhaven.

I am failing.

What can you do in the beyond-the-brownbelt, car-dependent suburbs that you can't do in inside-the-brownbelt, car-dependent Nepean?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:04 PM

Quote:
It would help if Queen's Park would stop granting powers to the province of Toronto that it doesn't grant to other cities in its empire.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 4:40 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Canada has a inherent geo-poltical challenge: the vast majority of it's grade A farmland is located closest to it's major urban areas and is existentially threatened by development. In Ontario- that's the Ottawa Valley, and Southern Ontario.
One thing I've noticed is that the various environmentalist groups generally don't get all that worked up about farmland. High quality farmland, while relatively scarce at the provincial level, is locally abundant on the fringes of the urban area. By contrast, shield country, of which we have more in this country and province than we could ever know what to do with, is locally rare. So the activists get worked up about the natural areas on the Carp ridge but not so much about the farmland in the Carp valley just below.

Quote:
[snip]

If it wasn't for the Greenbelt I argue that the development Kanata, Barrhaven and Orleans represents would *not* be self contained towns- rather, as it's be repeatedly argued for in this thread- tacked on sprawl the same intercity suburbs. I.e. the same commercial zones, community centres ect. We would have more areas like College Square, more areas like Merivale Road, more areas like the Train Yards. Woodroffe Avenue through the Greenbelt would be just like Merivale Road is now- sprawling car centric development. That is not to say that these developments are not built in Kanata or Barrhaven. But, rather then being more "intercity sprawl" you actually do have self-contained cities.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to argue that our extra-Greenbelt suburbs are self-contained. Only Kanata comes close to that definition. But more fundamentally, none of them have been laid out in a way that would a suggest a plan to create bona fide "towns" or "cities": each individual suburban development was just tacked onto the previous; they were just "displaced" across the Greenbelt. They have no discernible centres, no internal logic or structure with radial streets, just planning cells appended, one after another. In other words, they just did across the Greenbelt more-or-less what they would have done without the Greenbelt.

With image manipulation software, you could, for instance, "copy" all of Barrhaven south of Fallowfield to north of the Jock and then "paste" it along Hunt Club (i.e. overlay Fallowfield and Hunt Club). Do that and you wouldn't know the difference.

From the perspective of encouraging innovation in regional urban planning, the Greenbelt is a failure on that count. With hindsight, I'd say the Greenbelt wasn't deep enough. As far as I'm concerned, Kanata should not exist: the closest development in the west should have started at Stittsville, beyond the high quality farmland of the Carp valley. Barrhaven (and Riverside South) too should not exist north of the Jock River; an extension based on Manotick as a starting point would have been preferable. In the east, probably nothing as far as Cumberland. In effect, most of the old townships of Nepean and Gloucester (along with much of March, Goulbourn and Cumberland) would be in the Greenbelt. There's no guarantee that pushing them out further would have led to better design, but there's a higher chance when they are being built around preëxisting communities.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 6:36 PM

Just came across the blog below and I find the readers' comments particularly interesting...I could imagine their anguish seeing their once idyllic homestead giving away to McMansions but it is what it is.

https://willowhousechronicles.wordpr...g-stonebridge/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion