HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 9:54 PM

Snapped this picture of the wall in the Winnipeg Roller Rink (before they tore it down).

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 3:31 AM

That was great times in that building. A person could learn a lot of life lessons too.
Like never skate with a mickey in your back pocket.

When you play 'crack the whip', make sure you know how to stop.

Size 12 feet don't fit in to size 10 boots, no matter how good looking the skate-rental girl looks.

Roller skates are an unfair advantage except when the guy who swings on you, can't stand on them either.

Nice Black Cat sign hanging on the corner of the building. Wish it was in my garage.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 1:21 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The Royal Bank Building has just opened, ushering in the modern era of big buildings and small crowds on Portage Avenue. Ten years later the street was looking tattier. The middle-class shoppers were still there, but less and less often, leaving poorer people and the die-hard old ladies who would never give up on Eaton's. Twenty years later the stores that were left were just going through the motions. Thirty years later, it was almost all gone.

Interestingly the upper floors of the Affleck Block are still there (above O Calcutta). They were lost to fire not long afterward, as was the St. Boniface Basilica just two years later.

Eaton's is decked out in union jacks and England flags. Can anyone guess why? Hint: it's the summer of 1966.
Right around my birth time too.

They say that the Top song at that time was The Beatles' Paperback Writer, but I much prefer Frank Sinatra's Strangers In The Night, Sunshine Superman, and Bus Stop by The Hollies.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 5:49 PM

Found a really cool site with a virtual tour of the Exchange, and some amazing pictures of historic Winnipeg. You could spend hours looking at these photos.

http://www.virtual.heritagewinnipeg....llery_down.php

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 4:02 AM

Tuxedo 1923

Manitoba air photo library scanned by me
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6074/tuxedosm.jpg
Check out the old Fort Osborne Barracks, Assiniboine Park and the future Kenaston Blvd circa 1923.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 4:08 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

looks like they had bit of a flooding issue that yr

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
looks like they had bit of a flooding issue that yr
I don't know where you got that from, there's a nice reflection of the north bank of the river reflected in the water. The banks by Ft. Osbourne are very high and the river shows bedrock in places. Could it just be 'dew on the grass that you are looking at, the resolution isn't that great on some of these scanned pictures.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 3:43 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

perhaps just looks like its over its banks in some areas to me

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 11:16 AM

Here's a good one with some cool shots!

http://youtu.be/dZI5jv0gvm0

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:36 PM
surely you agree with me

an interesting article i came across in the WFP archives (1885) while doing some research:

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 1:31 AM
Starring as himself

That is a fascinating article by the Rev. George Bryce, the early historian of Manitoba. The account of the short-lived legislative council (the upper house that all provinces started with, like the federal senate) is very interesting. The debate over the name of the city is something I hadn't heard of before. I wonder why "Winnipeg" was so strongly desired ... it is the name of a lake 50 or more miles distant. There was certainly a great vogue for Indian names in the mid 19th century (e.g. York becoming Toronto, Bytown > Ottawa, Upper Canada/Canada West > Ontario etc.) which I think was partly based on romanticism of native life (and the poetry of the names) but mostly on a growing sense that Canada was its own place, separate and distinct from England and Scotland. That a city scarcely 10 years away from being a tiny fur-trade outpost would already have a historical society, or even a sense of itself as possessing a "history", is quite remarkable.

The Free Press had already established its characteristic attitude of arrogance with respect to all rivals, as well (anyone old enough to remember the "Two to One Read the Free Press" billboards, with which the Press taunted the Trib through the 60s and 70s, will know what I mean. In the 70s, the resurgent Tribune celebrated the removal of the billboards, whose boast had ceased to be accurate, with a big spread entitled "The Day the Signs Came Down" or something like that).

Anyway that's a great article -- thanks for posting. Reading through the old newspapers is always fascinating.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 4:20 AM

Thanks for posting the article. If Bryce saw immense progress from 1871 to 1885, imagine what people in Winnipeg's glory year of 1912 thought looking back to 1885! I didn't know Pembina was the border refuge of the dangerous classes, with well nigh a dozen saloons. It would be fun if Manitoba still had its own Tijuana! The British disdain towards the French half-breeds, and the infamous Riel, is well noted. It is easy to see how English Protestant newcomers could sweep away Metis land claims over the next twenty years. And my favorite line: "I can speak from personal experience, that it was impossible to buy a chair in Winnipeg in 1871."

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 9:17 PM

When the Good Neighbours Senior Centre (755 Henderson Hwy, just north of Kimberley) was demolished a couple of years, a time capsule / corner stone was found. In that capsule were several items, including pictures of the area. I finally got around to scanning them and have placed them on Flickr for everyone's viewing enjoyment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8177028...7629622762782/

I have included the typed or handwritten description (that was on the back of each picture).

Also in the capsule was a souvenir spoon, 4 copies of "The Elmwood Herald" (Nov 25/1948, May 31/1951, May 23/1951, May 17/1951), blank 1951 "EK Demand for Taxes" form, EK Municipal Offices phone directory, some stamps, EK map, EK List of Electors for 1950, and some coins.

Very interesting.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 2:48 AM

This facebook page is full of great old street pictures...okay, it's not Winnipeg, but it's close---Minneapolis. But perhaps someone will be inspired to start a similar image dump for our city.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-Mi...19633278056856

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 3:30 AM

Again not Winnipeg, but here is Vintage Toronto

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Vin...56041347799190

Old Posted Jun 6, 2012, 2:31 AM

Stevenson Field

A nice enjoyable piece of Winnipeg History, where did it all go to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l12cz11vkLU

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 3:56 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i inherited a pile of reel to reel tapes (117) one of them. one is a cfrw broadcast from what i can tell is from dec 1974 as it talks about a friday the 13th and christmas... interesting to listen to some of the adds might set up to make a recording of it as its bothe sides of the tape

it was 8F and snowing and the next days high was supost to be 20 above recorded at around 3in the afternoon

a expensive cab fare is better then a fine or a night in the hooscow

Last edited by 1ajs; Jun 12, 2012 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 4:48 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

An interesting write up on the Warwick Apartments in today's Free Press.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...160158125.html

Quote:
Prior to the Warwick, apartment blocks in Winnipeg were small, walk-up tenements meant to warehouse the working class. As Winnipeg experienced a population explosion, from 42,000 souls in 1901 to 118,000 in 1908, new housing solutions were needed for the growing middle and upper classes.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 2:29 PM
Density and complexity

I think it might be a bit disingenuous to say that, prior to the Warwick, Winnipeg's apartments were simply working class tenements. There were a number of apartment buildings that were built as fine residences for middle and upper classes in the years before 1909. The Warwick, and the Roslyn, which also opened in '09, were simply a new benchmark in desirable apartments.

The Royal Alexandra Hotel was easily the nicest hotel in the city when it opened in 1906, but that doesn't mean that the previous generation of nice hotels (the Leland, the Empire, the Manitoba, etc.) were built as dumps for a lower class of guests; they were simply built for a smaller, less prosperous, and less modern city.

Even in the 1880s, multi-family residential developments--usually townhouses--were very popular among prominent and wealthy citizens with small families. Most of these had fallen out of fashion by 1909, and could very well have been described as working class tenements, but they certainly were not built that way originally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
An interesting write up on the Warwick Apartments in today's Free Press.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...160158125.html

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 3:21 AM
surely you agree with me

Hume: U.K. archives marks Canada Day by posting historic photographs
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...phs-of-toronto

some interesting manitoba photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nationa...7630315300544/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan