HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 3:08 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
All I can say is more dinosaurs. I like dinosaurs.
You sound like my wife!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:36 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I actually would like to check out the Manitoba Museum again. See if anything has changed as of late. It would be nice if they did some serious renovations and/or expansion though, but is there enough foot traffic to do so?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I actually would like to check out the Manitoba Museum again. See if anything has changed as of late. It would be nice if they did some serious renovations and/or expansion though, but is there enough foot traffic to do so?
Went there a few months back. The vast majority of the exhibits look like they haven't been touched since I went through there in the 80's on class trips.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 1:38 PM

The Manitoba Museum was closed for a week, to do a major cleaning. Something that most museums are doing across the country.

The museum is bringing in a Pirate Exhibit in the next month.
The Victorian Crosses (from the 3 soldiers on Valour Road) are on display.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 5:27 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Went there a few months back. The vast majority of the exhibits look like they haven't been touched since I went through there in the 80's on class trips.
Funny enough, isn't that the whole idea of the museum itself, if you think about it?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 11:48 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Funny enough, isn't that the whole idea of the museum itself, if you think about it?
I want shiny new old things!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 9:54 PM

This past summer I was through town again with a newbie to Winnipeg and one stop was the museum. Yes a lot is the same but there were a few exhibits that I hadn't seen before. As always the Nonsuch was the big hit. The buffalo at the front could use a vacuum though.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 5:25 PM

Stuart Murray gone Nov 1

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:56 PM

Open for Buisness Mov.11th. All galleries. Construction phase is fini.

Next...Where is the WAG expansion at this stage. Announcements this year forth coming?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:16 PM

Finally! I'll have to check it out... I've been waiting for the whole thing to open up.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:22 PM

Yeah, It'll be my 1st chance as well.

What you think about the priceing...seems like most Peggers think it's a burn?

I don't find a problem with it?

$15 for adults,
$12 for seniors and students,
$8 for youth aged seven to 17
Free for children under seven.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:30 PM

$15 is roughly in line with what I would expect to pay at a better museum or art gallery.

In a city where people pay almost that much for a beer at a hockey game, I'd say it's not bad.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:33 PM

No problem at all with that pricing. Same with the Zoo. You want to play, you pay. Under $20 for adult is a good price.

Obviously on a completely different scale. Went to Disneyland this summer. My god. $300 US for one day for two adults. And that place was jammed to the teets. Talk about money.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:37 PM

I've been through a couple of times already, but obviously it was a shell of itself.

I'll have to go through once now that it's complete. That'll probably be enough for me. It's not exactly the sort of subject matter that gets me excited to head back for more.

Maybe the speakers will keep the admissions flowing, but again, I'm not really that interested in hearing about how our western lifestyle is directly at fault for social justice issues around the globe we're only tenuously connected to.

Whatever. I'm sure this will be somebody's interest enough to create the repeat visits I won't.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Whatever. I'm sure this will be somebody's interest enough to create the repeat visits I won't.
Quite understandable, some individuals will have no interest in the topic or material presented and decide to return multiple times.

I visited Auschwitz in Poland twice, although more of a preserved historical site, but that was my limit and I wouldn't return. At least this particular museum, possibly Centre is more appropriate terminology,(exploring the issues topics contained) will change it's exhibits periodically and further peoples education for an issue that is very current and we deal with on a daily basis.

I have visited several war museums in the past, and the bullets and guns look all the same to me after a while as well.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 10:25 PM

I've been to a hell of a lot of museums and although I enjoy most of them, I can't say that there are many that I am raring to return to. The only real exception is big art museums that are hard to take in with a single visit (the Met, the Louvre, etc.).

Are there really a lot of return visitors to ANY museum in town? Maybe if you have a niche interest of some kind, e.g. aviation buffs to the WCAM, electrical buffs (?) to the Electrical Museum, etc.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I've been to a hell of a lot of museums and although I enjoy most of them, I can't say that there are many that I am raring to return to. The only real exception is big art museums that are hard to take in with a single visit (the Met, the Louvre, etc.).

Are there really a lot of return visitors to ANY museum in town? Maybe if you have a niche interest of some kind, e.g. aviation buffs to the WCAM, electrical buffs (?) to the Electrical Museum, etc.
Certainly Touch the Universe, the Planetarium, and the Museum of Man and nature are receiving the same kids year in and year out. Whether they receive money for that, I don't know. But these are also interesting museums with interesting and interactive subject matter. You aren't going to be able to keep kids interested in the subject of human atrocities year in and year out.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 10:42 PM

Good point Esquire, There are a few European Art and History museums I would return to again.

But honestly, If/when the inner works are removed from the Pump House on Water Front Dr. to another location, would you visit them over and over again?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Good point Esquire, There are a few European Art and History museums I would return to again.

But honestly, If/when the inner works are removed from the Pump House on Water Front Dr. to another location, would you visit them over and over again?
No, and nobody will. But museums are kinda wards of the state because they're generally thought to be educational and informative less than they are self-sustaining. Which is fine, really; there's a place for that in society. We just shouldn't be getting hung up the attendance or economic spin-off of it because that is absolutely guaranteed to disappoint...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
No, and nobody will. But museums are kinda wards of the state because they're generally thought to be educational and informative less than they are self-sustaining. Which is fine, really; there's a place for that in society. We just shouldn't be getting hung up the attendance or economic spin-off of it because that is absolutely guaranteed to disappoint...

Fair enough, Can't really disagree that most, if not the majority of Museums fall far short of being self sustaining without the help of government funding in one form or another.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan