HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 4:46 PM
Burming Hammer

^glad you enjoyed your visit. give us a heads up next time, and we'll give you an itinerary!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
^glad you enjoyed your visit. give us a heads up next time, and we'll give you an itinerary!
Thanks so much, Tim! Very neighborly of you, and I will definately take you up on that.

I have nothing but positive feelings for the place after being there for 3 weeks. Just wish I had had the time to explore more than I did, but work was pretty busy and demanding of my time.

The ONLY negative thing I have to say isn't about Birmingham at all, but the construction on I-20 between the eastern side of the metro and the State line is beyond ridiculous - and my friends at work tell me this has been going on for years!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 6:14 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Thanks so much, Tim! Very neighborly of you, and I will definately take you up on that.

I have nothing but positive feelings for the place after being there for 3 weeks. Just wish I had had the time to explore more than I did, but work was pretty busy and demanding of my time.

The ONLY negative thing I have to say isn't about Birmingham at all, but the construction on I-20 between the eastern side of the metro and the State line is beyond ridiculous - and my friends at work tell me this has been going on for years!
Yea, that roadwork has been going on for some major time. A lot of it has to do with the fact that they've had to blast through a lot of mountains, and that they've been doing it in segments. Fortunately, it should be completed within the next few years. Most of the widening through the mountains is complete, all that's really left is the finishing touches!

Either way, seriously, let all of us know when you come back through; we've all been needing a reason to get together. I wouldn't mind driving from Tuscaloosa to meet up with everyone; especially with all that has been going on in downtown lately!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 5:12 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

I would enjoy meeting the ssp.com crew. Count me in.

Some recent development news... The BJCC announced the name of the entertainment district. It will be called Uptown.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 1:46 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Or not... I guess I know how to shut down a thread.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 5:28 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BRAVO* View Post
Lol, don't get discouraged. I've just been busy with my 3 finals "week"s.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 10:13 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

I thought about you this week. I've been dealing with the Urban Planning Dept at City Hall on a project.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 3:22 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I thought about you this week. I've been dealing with the Urban Planning Dept at City Hall on a project.
Do tell!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Not at all, BRAVO! I've been busy too - first with the horrible flu, and with work. I would love to have a meet sometime in BHM.

The only thing is I am still very much missing Randy.....it would just seem so weird (to me) without him there. But it still sounds like a great idea!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:26 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattordici View Post
Do tell!
Nothing exciting... I'm an environmental graphic designer and some of my work will need to be approved by the Design Review Committee before it can be bid/fabricated.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:28 AM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Not at all, BRAVO! I've been busy too - first with the horrible flu, and with work. I would love to have a meet sometime in BHM.

The only thing is I am still very much missing Randy.....it would just seem so weird (to me) without him there. But it still sounds like a great idea!
Let's do it! Let us know next time you're in town.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Let's do it! Let us know next time you're in town.

I already know when it is - but, it's a three day company conference with no free time for 3 days the first weekend of Feb! In Inverness...

My first chance for this wouldn't be until sometime in Spring, but that could be perfect.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:04 AM
Trendy.

Has development in Norwood stalled?

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 10:44 PM
Burming Hammer

honestly, i don't hear much about norwood these days.

the hot neighborhood right now seems to be avondale....

btw, for those interested... i took a stroll around the CBD today. uploaded lots of new pics in the City Photos section.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 8:07 PM
Constant Vigilance!

Just in case anyone hadn't already seen this great piece of news

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/12/...l#incart_river

Major development planned near stadium, Railroad Park with offer to buy city-owned land

Joseph Bryant
The Birmingham News
al.com

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- The company responsible for the Cityville Block 121 residential complex proposes a new $33 million development a block away near Railroad Park and the baseball stadium under construction.

The project of about 245 units, from Inland American Communities Group Inc., signifies a major private investment and the first residential venture in the Parkside District anchored by Railroad Park the Regions Field baseball stadium.

Mayor William Bell this week is expected to detail the $3.1 million proposal to sell city-owned property on the corner of 3rd Avenue South and 16th Street South. The development would overlook the new playing field. The proposal requires approval from the City Council.

Inland's plan includes having the transaction completed by the first quarter of 2013, said Birmingham attorney Alton Parker, the company's representative.

Parker said Inland's success with Cityville, nearby is evidence of the company's expertise in residential development in the urban setting.

"If you like the ones that are there on 20th street, then you'll like this one," he said of the new concept for Parkside. "The mayor and his staff are working hard to take advantage of the opportunities that are there because they've invested in the ballpark and the Railroad Park, and this is right in line with goals of the city."

Huzzah! These are suppose to overlook Regions Park when completed. Hopefully the "future" Alabama Power site won't bring down the area, and they can incorporate something that will blend with what the city is wanting from the area. But that's a whole other story.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 8:19 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I wanted to post that article, and others, but I've been too lazy...

Either way, downtown Bham has been booming! If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that current investment is around half a billion if not more.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 2:59 AM
Constant Vigilance!

Tsk tsk on the laziness friend

But yes! It is very exciting to see the investments being put into the central Birmingham and downtown area. Hopefully, we'll continue to see the trend grow.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 10:50 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder89 View Post
Tsk tsk on the laziness friend

But yes! It is very exciting to see the investments being put into the central Birmingham and downtown area. Hopefully, we'll continue to see the trend grow.
*sigh* I know I know... I'm hoping to get over to Birmingham sometime soon, before school starts back. Hoping I'll see a lot of progress.

Btw, I know we've all been discussing meeting up for a few decades by now, but maybe once the entertainment district is finished, we can all make a pilgrimage.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 2:00 AM
Burming Hammer

Two apartment complexes in the works around Railroad Park / Regions Park... hope retail and restaurants follow:

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...road-park.html

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 2:33 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Two apartment complexes in the works around Railroad Park / Regions Park... hope retail and restaurants follow:

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...road-park.html
I saw that in the bizjournal as well. MULTIPLE multi hundred unit buildings? It almost sounds too good to be true; but, I'm gonna be optimistic until it builds out.

I'm still curious as to what Alabama Power has planned for that parcel that they purchased a bit ago...

EDIT: B T Dubs, I wish there was some website that accurately identified areas that the FAA employs height restrictions. Such a site might allow us to figure out what exactly Alabama Power is planning to do....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast