HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 5:07 PM

Those buidings that they are proposing to tear down are a bunch of dumps. I'd like to see them keep facades, but it'd be better of they just move them somewhere else. Canal needs these T-shirt shacks, cigar joints and liquor stores kicked out. They bring the whole area down. Went down there on Saturday and was constantly looking over my shoulder, can't imagine how tourist feel. Its link ying and yang down there.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia View Post
Those buidings that they are proposing to tear down are a bunch of dumps. I'd like to see them keep facades, but it'd be better of they just move them somewhere else. Canal needs these T-shirt shacks, cigar joints and liquor stores kicked out. They bring the whole area down. Went down there on Saturday and was constantly looking over my shoulder, can't imagine how tourist feel. Its link ying and yang down there.
I agree with the ones along Canal are dumps, but I don't think the ones along Tchoupitoulas are. Those are the same types of buildings that are being salvaged elsewhere in the CBD. The one housing Geisha Sushi is actually pretty nice inside (at least on the ground floor). I hate to see them impede progress, but they do have that historic New Orleans feel that is irreplaceable.

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=29.91...16.58&t=m&z=11

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
The problem of making sure the building gets built before demolition can be fixed by requiring the developers to put the money in escrow ahead of time. As far as saving these buildings, I'm all for preservation, but there's literally 10 blocks of this identical design along Decatur and N. Peters. It would be awesome if the developer dismantled the buildings and relocated them to empty historic blocks like along Rampart or the opposite side of N. Peters. Someone with some power propose that please!
Relocating at least the two closest to Common Street to the city-owned lot backing onto the Piazza d'Italia at South Peters and Lafayette would be great. You'd offset some of the non-historicness of the new construction on Fulton, and there would definitely be interest in using them as ground floor commercial with residential above in that area. It would be an expensive proposition for the developer, and given who it is, I doubt he would ever agree, but it would be a great compromise.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 7:43 PM
-

Im for the development of that corner... id guess looking to the Harrahs hotel tower and how the buildings were incorporated into it as to how the hdlc will go with this... Regardless geting rid of the tshirt and tacky souvenir shops will really help canal... also this dual brand, same building concept is really starting to take off...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Im for the development of that corner... id guess looking to the Harrahs hotel tower and how the buildings were incorporated into it as to how the hdlc will go with this...
If this is the alternative I'd rather them demolished:
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=29.94...16.37&t=h&z=19

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Im for the development of that corner... id guess looking to the Harrahs hotel tower and how the buildings were incorporated into it as to how the hdlc will go with this... Regardless geting rid of the tshirt and tacky souvenir shops will really help canal... also this dual brand, same building concept is really starting to take off...
I hope Decatur street is conquered next as far as tacky t-shirt stores!!!!

I think being incorporated into a newer building would be as Disney World-ish as Harrahs, an alternative might be to develop the 3 buildings into higher end Suites for the hotel. I may be wrong in my history lesson but aren't these part of the building boom in the 1830's...The granite was used as ballasts for ships and left was left here from New England chiseled into columns and used in building construction? Is it too much to ask "can we do better?" The windows are (of course) not period windows.
t

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 9:07 PM

Quote:
I'm for the development. I think it will be very positive for that area. But please don't use the Harrah's hotel for any examples. They purposely did shoddy work on the buildings they used as offices for years and let them slip into decay to win approval to be torn down. They were even fined out the ass for demolition by neglect. Instead of reusing the facades that were there for the hotel, they tore them down and put up Disney World versions.

If you're going to build something, don't half-ass it. Either tear the damn thing down and build something new or incorporate more than just a facade. And stop pandering to some with this shitty faux-historic crap.

It's funny to me how in European cities FAR older than New Orleans they can have new and old together and it looks great. I am all for preservation, but you need to pick and choose your battles. What stands in the way of this tower is not significant enough.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 9:42 PM
-

I wasnt saying want the harrahs hotel look. i was only saying it was a possibility. Id be fine tearing down whats there

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend_cletus View Post
it's funny to me how in european cities far older than new orleans they can have new and old together and it looks great. I am all for preservation, but you need to pick and choose your battles. What stands in the way of this tower is not significant enough.
preach!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I wasnt saying want the harrahs hotel look. i was only saying it was a possibility. Id be fine tearing down whats there
Oh no, I wasn't accusing you of saying that. I know you're for the tower. I was just saying that Harrah's did a shit job.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 11:24 PM
-

ITEM 23 – Docket Number: 035-14 DIS
Applicant or Agent: Lafayette Hotel Investors, LLC, Chris Chimento
Property Location: 600 St. Charles Avenue Zip: 70130
Bounding Streets: St. Charles Ave., S. Maestri Pl., Camp St., & Girod St.
Zoning District: CBD-7 Central Business District
Historic District: Lafayette Square Planning District: 1a
Existing Use: Hotel Square Number: 178
Proposed Use : Hotel Lot Number: 1 & 2

Request Citation: This request is for a variance from the provisions of Article 15, Section 15.2.7(3)
(Table 15.C) of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.

Request: This request is to permit the addition of suites to an existing hotel with insufficient off-street
parking.

Requested Waiver:
Article 15.2.7(3) (Table 15.C) - Parking Regulations in CBD
Required: 20 Spaces Provided: 16 Spaces Waiver: 4 Spaces

ITEM 25– Docket Number: 037-14 DIS
Applicant or Agent: Carondelet Partners, LLC, Cynthia Dubberley
Property Location: 600-616 Carondelet Street Zip: 70130
Bounding Streets: Carondelet St., Lafayette St., St. Charles Ave., & Girod St.
Zoning District: CBD-7 Central Business District
Historic District: Lafayette Square Planning District: 1a
Existing Use: Office and Surface Parking Square Number: 219
Proposed Use : Mixed Use Lot Number: 1-7, 20

Request Citation: This request is for a variance from the provisions of Article 15, Section 15.5.7(6) of the
Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.

Request: This request is to permit the conversion of an existing office building to a hotel with an
addition causing a reduction in the minimum required open space at the lowest level to the sky.

Requested Waivers:
Section 15.5.7(6) - Open Space (Lowest Level to the Sky)
Required: 80% Provided: 61% Waiver: 19%

1464 N.Rocheblave Ave·New Construction ·Ref Code: MZAC8S
Pay Fees Download (4) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Lee Ledbetter
Zoning Review
Date Filed:
2/3/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
New construction of a 8,000 single story building which contains artists studio spaces and other support services as per plans,CPC,HDLC Approval and Public Works,

2101 S Claiborne Ave,Ste G·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: Q7JMAA
Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Jadie Truong
Application Review
Date Filed:
2/4/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Interior build-out of a vacant space for a nail & Spa: Install manicure/pedicure stations,electrical,hvac,plumbing,sheetrock;paint and trim. Signage requires a separate permit.

500 Port of New Orleans Pl,Ste 278·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: 61LBXD
Download (1) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
General Nutrition Corp
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/4/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Interior tenant renovations (electrical,flooring,havc;plumbing and trim) GNC #6538 at Riverwalk Market Place Ste 278.

300 N Broad St, Suite 208·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: 0NRUNL
Type:
Applicant:
Paul Ikemire
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
Small Interior office renovation as per sketch: non structural, community room and basic office use.

800 Bourbon St [Lucky Coin Machine Co,Llc]·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: H5LU0A
Type:
Applicant:
Charles E Dwyer
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
Exterior/Interior renovations to existing bar as per VCC & Property Management Approval. Replacing balcony decking,repairinf support beams,paint,electrical,interior colums;install new televisions and wainscoat.

1 Poydras St Suite 118B·Change of Use ·Ref Code: 57TB0R
Download (4) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
Robert C Nitishin
Application Review
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
Build-out of existing space for New retail store (Swim n Sport), Unnit 118B per plans. Landlord providing storefront entry, toilet and setting electrcal panels. Tenant responsible for remainder of building items, lighting, power distribution. Landlord responsible for HVAC distribution and all plumbing.

2850 Magazine St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: XQDK1Q
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Scott McKearn
Draft Application
Date Filed:
2/4/2014 12:14:51 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Install a 32 square foot sign on face of building and a 4 sq ft blade sign as per sketch and HDLC C/A

2477 Royal St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: AHAXK7
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Zackary Rahman
Draft Application
Date Filed:
2/4/2014 1:30:46 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct 2ns foor balcony, new landings and stairs on 1st floor and lighting per sketch and 14-01159HDLC.

808 Baronne St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: EWQSKG
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Dotan Bonen
Permit not required
Date Filed:
1/30/2014 10:33:48 AM
Closed:
Yes
Description
Partial demolition of vacant commercial structure.

Investors Pumped $7-8 Billion Into Downtown NOLA Over Last 9 Years
BY ADMIN • FEBRUARY 3, 2014 • CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT, INVESTMENT, NEWS • COMMENTS (0) • 192

Kurt WiegleDowntown’s post-Katrina redevelopment progress has been impressive. From the South Market District to the Riverwalk redevelopment, to new multifamily developments, New Orleans’ downtown is on the rebound.

According to New Orleans Downtown Development District (DDD) CEO Kurt Weigle, the amount invested in New Orleans downtown since Katrina is close to $7-8 billion. Downtown construction permits in 2013 were up 63% over 2012 to more than $186,000,000.

In an email newsletter to stakeholders Friday, January 31, 2014, Weigle outlined the investment and progress to revitalize downtown into a vibrant, urban core for the city.

You can read the full letter below:

A Message From DDD President & CEO

As the Downtown Development District begins 2014, I want to thank the DDD’s dedicated Board of Commissioners, led by our Chairman, Mr. Troy C. Carter, and outstanding staff for their invaluable role in making 2013 such a productive and inspiring year for Downtown New Orleans. The difference between just showing up to work and loving this unique & wonderful place that we serve is evident in all that this team does.

With equal fervor, I thank the Downtown stakeholders that we serve. It is only through daily partnership with Downtown property owners, residents, businesses, workers, and of course the development community, that the DDD is able to accomplish anything at all – better put, that the Downtown accomplishes all that it does, together.

Finally, thank you to our partners at the City of New Orleans, the New Orleans Business Alliance, New Orleans Chamber of Commerce, the State of Louisiana, the Regional Transit Authority, and other public & non-profit entities with whom we have the privilege to work.

As we work together, and as we accomplish great things, one development, one initiative, and one building at a time, Downtown New Orleans is in better position than ever to become one of the best places to live or work — anywhere in the world. This is a goal worth seeking, and it’s within our grasp.
We are all fond of pointing out how unique and how special New Orleans and Downtown are. We know we have customs, building styles, ways of thinking, foods — and on down the list – that are unique in the world. We know that these unique characteristics have made New Orleanians love our town more than the native sons & daughters of any other place in America. And we know that the best & brightest from around America have discovered how New Orleans can inspire them to do their best work. Rarely do we see ourselves as a world city, though, taking on the best the globe has to offer and winning. Let’s change that.

Downtown’s redevelopment progress is impressive. In the last nine years, Downtown has experienced nearly $5 billion worth of construction, as measured by building permits. Looking at total real estate investment, the number would be closer to $7-8 billion. Downtown construction permits in 2013 were up 63% over 2012 to more than $186,000,000 . Major multi-block projects are remaking entire sections of Downtown, including the Outlet Collection at Riverwalk and the Paramount apartments, part of the South Market project. The attraction of Neiman Marcus to Riverwalk capped more than three years of courting by the DDD and developer Howard Hughes, and the South Market project is the result of a complex public-private partnership involving the Domain Companies, City of New Orleans, State of Louisiana – with special thanks to our New Orleans legislative delegation, the Industrial Development Board, the DDD and others. The gains are not easily had, but the partnerships are paying off.

2014 promises to be no less impressive. The Gravier-Common corridor between Baronne and Loyola is the latest to take off. Residential and mixed-use projects in this newly forming neighborhood include almost 1000 new apartments and hundreds of hotel rooms, plus office and ground floor retail in six buildings: 210 Baronne, 225 Baronne, 144 Elks Place, 234 Loyola, 1100 Tulane, and 1111 Tulane are in the works, with the majority already under construction.

In 2014, the DDD will redouble its efforts to make the public realm – our sidewalks, streets, parks and other open space – as impressive as the private construction driving our boom. We are working with the City and the local chapters of the Urban Land Institute, American Institute of Architects, American Planning Association, and American Society of Landscape Architects, and private developers to find creative ways to create more parks & green space Downtown, and to make the ones we have meet our needs better. World leading cities have world leading parks and open space.

World leading cities also offer a variety of transportation options, more and more lead by non-motorized forms. Downtown New Orleans is blessed, thanks to its scale, good planning, and good stewardship over the years, to be one of America’s most walkable cities. To take on the world, we need world leading pedestrian amenities: “greener” sidewalks (the Mayor recently asked us how we might implement hanging flower baskets), including better approaches to storm water retention that reduce street flooding from rain and create an attractive amenity while doing so; interesting places to sit, rest and enjoy life – places of respite and delight; and self-cleaning public restrooms for visitors and locals alike.

Consistent with these objectives, the City recently began construction on the Museum District Streetscape Project around Lee Circle, a DDD-led project funded by the State, Regional Planning Commission, and the DDD. The City will install count-down pedestrian signals on Canal Street and Poydras in 2014. These are exciting first steps, but they are just the beginning of the transformation of Downtown sidewalks & streets if we will lead the world.

Bicycles are another important element of a diverse transportation system, and the DDD has helped lead efforts to bring a bike share system to New Orleans, starting with the demonstration project hosted during Super Bowl XLVII. The City is in the midst of an analysis of how best to bring bike share to New Orleans, and the DDD wants to do its part to make this happen.

We also will work with the Administration on analyzing & planning Downtown’s transportation & circulation patterns overall, to assure that every mode is moving as efficiently as possible.

These are exciting plans, improvements that will change the quality of life for all of us. The DDD board and staff look forward to working with you to bring them to fruition, and to planning the next round of improvements that will take us one step closer to making Downtown New Orleans one of the world’s best places to live and work.

Thank you.

Kurt M. Weigle
President & CEO
Downtown Development District of New Orleans

Very interesting that he mentions 1111 tulane is becoming apartments too... Also the self cleaning toilets coming ...interesting stuff

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 5, 2014 at 12:45 AM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 1:34 PM
life is good

Bruno’s ‘sliver’ building calls for complex techniques
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...ex-techniques/
Quote:
A proposal to squeeze a new 10-story apartment tower onto a long and narrow Warehouse District lot will require some extra engineering to get the project off the ground.
Developer Josh Bruno has chosen a ‘sliver’ building design for Granaio, a high-end residential development planned for the Warehouse District. (Image courtesy Wayne Troyer Architects)
Josh Bruno, president of Downtown Development Group, said the design strategy for his planned 125-foot residential building includes a complex underground foundation and piling system and a central support structure that will keep the tower from toppling under extreme wind and pressure.
Bruno wants to build what he described as a “sliver” building on a 3,600-square-foot piece of property at 1035 Tchoupitoulas St. ...

From a construction standpoint, the challenge for Bruno involves keeping the building upright and stable on softer New Orleans soil.
“You can find these types of buildings all over the north where the soil is compact and situated on a layer of bedrock, which we don’t have here,” Bruno said. “The foundation requires a combination of poured in place concrete pilings, screw-in auger piles and a five-foot thick
‘blanket’ of concrete slab.”
Bruno said the extra foundation support counteracts the overturning force the sliver structure would want to take under excessive wind or pressure load.
The core of the building will be a combination of structural steel and a special “extra strong” concrete mixture that will tie in the floor system and work into the structural frame. Bruno said the concrete mix holds up to 15,000 pounds per square inch versus the normal 3,000 to 4,000 pounds.
“The additive mixture and hybrid steel and concrete building core was used in the new World Trade Center development in New York,” Bruno said. “It takes the qualities and strengths of steel and concrete working together to support and control the buildings movement.”
The building will be supported from the inside out, acting as a kind of balanced cantilever system. Massive steel beams will tie into the front of the building and support a drape of glass around the front and sides. The core elevator shaft and stairwells will act as a massive support column and sheer wall to support the floors with no noticeable support columns interfering with interior living spaces...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 8:57 PM

International Shipholding moving HQ back to Nola. Buying and renovating a building in the Warehouse District.

http://www.louisianaeconomicdevelopm...oom/detail/528

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 9:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs2886 View Post
International Shipholding moving HQ back to Nola. Buying and renovating a building in the Warehouse District.

http://www.louisianaeconomicdevelopm...oom/detail/528
Any idea what building they may have under contract? I thought it might have been 1009 camp street but that sale has closed and it looks like Phyllis Taylor bought it anyways.

Also looks like the New Orleans Arena is getting a name change to Smoothie King Center.

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 5, 2014 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:24 PM

Louisiana ArtWorks building sold for $6.2 million to Brennan's Culinary Institute

http://www.nola.com/arts/index.ssf/2...rt_orangestrip

Looks like this building will finally be returning to commerce. Should be a nice boost for the area with the Triangle Building reopening as apartments and the new GNOF being built next door.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Any idea what building they may have under contract? I thought it might have been 1009 camp street but that sale has closed and it looks like Phyllis Taylor bought it anyways.
That's a pretty good guess, though. The size would be almost exactly right--they say they want a 45,000-50,000 sq. ft. HQ, and the previous listing has the building at 50,500 sq ft. It's possible that Phyllis Taylor is flipping it? What does she need with more space anyway?

I'm not sure what else would be a big enough space. K&B Place?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
That's a pretty good guess, though. The size would be almost exactly right--they say they want a 45,000-50,000 sq. ft. HQ, and the previous listing has the building at 50,500 sq ft. It's possible that Phyllis Taylor is flipping it? What does she need with more space anyway?

Guess she could be flipping it? it does seem it would be perfect for them!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post

My guess is the old Ives building at the corner of Camp and Andrew Higgins.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
http://www.nola.com/arts/index.ssf/2...rt_orangestrip

Looks like this building will finally be returning to commerce. Should be a nice boost for the area with the Triangle Building reopening as apartments and the new GNOF being built next door.
This should work out really well. New Orleans needs a world class culinary school. THis will fill that need. Hope Launchpad still pursues their concept somewhere as well.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs2886 View Post
My guess is the old Ives building at the corner of Camp and Andrew Higgins.
Is that 1009 Camp Street?

864 South Peters street could be a possibility as well.

New Retail on Magazine Almost ready to open:

http://nola.curbed.com/archives/2014...tail-watch.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations