HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 6:13 PM
BANNED

I was looking at Google Maps and noticed some significant construction around Vidorra. Did they decide to build Phase II?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
I was looking at Google Maps and noticed some significant construction around Vidorra. Did they decide to build Phase II?
Apartments

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex06 View Post
Apartments
Crockett Lofts

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 11:34 PM

Crockett Lofts

Quote:
Here's more info:

https://therivardreport.com/crockett...y-to-eastside/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 12:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Thank you! I wish it was just as tall as the apt building next door, though, any nice developments in that area is much appreciated in the complete gentrification of that area.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 12:46 AM

The second tower

Quote:
Thank you! I wish it was just as tall as the apt building next door, though, any nice developments in that area is much appreciated in the complete gentrification of that area.
Originally, as you may know, Vidorra was to be two matching towers, but the economic downturn saw it cut to one.

I also think the first tower didn't sell as fast as expected.

As you said, this could be a nice catalyst for the area, although, IIRC, there is little to no retail included.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:19 PM
James

Quote:
As you said, this could be a nice catalyst for the area, although, IIRC, there is little to no retail included.
yeah it makes me kind of sad there isn't any retail on the bottom of this one. Hopefully some of the other lots near it will be developed with retail

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 7:51 PM

I don't understand the obsession with the idea that every project needs ground level retail (not specifically citing the previous post but there are many just like it across many of the SA threads). If there were demand for it then it would likely be included in a project. A retail/office tenant provides long term leases and sometimes multiple sources of income which brings stability to the project. On the other hand, apartment vacancies will fluctuate weekly and condo sales/ownership can also be volatile based on general economic conditions. If demand was there, developers would opt to allocate some space to a stabilized tenant.

Retail space will come when demand is there; just be patient and let the neighborhood and surrounding development continue to build up. Just think about it, do you really think a neighborhood coffee shop or restaurant would survive a year if it's main customer base was only 200-300 tenants in the building plus maybe a few hundred more within an appropriate radius? For that to work everyone who lived in the area would have to like coffee or the food being served and exclusively eat there almost daily in order for the business to maybe turn a profit. Sure there are many single family homes near downtown but based on the median family income of the older existing neighborhoods it's unlikely that disposable income is high enough to add much additional support.

If new construction overbuilds on ground level retail then I personally think that walking past empty or abandoned retail spots is more of a detriment to the look and feel of a neighborhood than just having those spaces occupied by leased apartments.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 8:40 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropolis View Post
If new construction overbuilds on ground level retail then I personally think that walking past empty or abandoned retail spots is more of a detriment to the look and feel of a neighborhood than just having those spaces occupied by leased apartments.
I see your point.

But if there isn't any being built at all to give something a chance. There definitely should be some built with new apts on broadway, that is a major corridor and should reflect that.

Some of the apts that aren't on major corridors i can understand, like this one here.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I see your point.

But if there isn't any being built at all to give something a chance. There definitely should be some built with new apts on broadway, that is a major corridor and should reflect that.

Some of the apts that aren't on major corridors i can understand, like this one here.
The challenge is that there isn't a lot of available street parking on Broadway adjacent to these apartments. So how do customers of a retail establishment access it? If customers can't easily access the retail, how does the retail thrive? As Necro noted, aside from some of the beer joints, there probably isn't enough apartment tenant traffic to support a lot of retail at the moment. But I agree, it would be nice if they built out a couple retail shells in each complex in anticipation of future traffic increasing.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 12:28 AM

While lack of parking might be seen as a challenge, I don't think thats how you create a walkable, urban neighborhood. The point of all of these urban core developments is to create a dense, urban neighborhood, giving less importance to the car.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 2:14 AM

Can't get rid of cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
While lack of parking might be seen as a challenge, I don't think thats how you create a walkable, urban neighborhood. The point of all of these urban core developments is to create a dense, urban neighborhood, giving less importance to the car.
While it may be nice to be able to live, work, shop, and enjoy all other joys of life while never leaving the building, it's not likely to be a reality. Given that most proprietors would like to draw from all over the city, a place to park is a necessity.

I don't live in the urban core, but I like going there. Sure, we have public transport, but it is not convenient.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 9:04 AM

I've been waiting for this forever! Huge shoe to drop on the west side!

http://www.expressnews.com/real-esta...witter-premium

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 3:56 PM

Another hotel Downtown! I like the ground floor retail and two-story River bar!

https://therivardreport.com/travis-s...outique-hotel/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtown View Post
Another hotel Downtown! I like the ground floor retail and two-story River bar!

https://therivardreport.com/travis-s...outique-hotel/

The FACT that they selected San Antonio for their third location in the USA says a lot about the tourism in our city!

Very nice interior views of the hotel rooms.
Not a HIGHRISE, but the renderings look great!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 6:18 PM
James

I'm just happy for more street activity. That office complex IBC is located in needs to build something on that parking lot. A new office building or something, doesn't have to be tall.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 1:36 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
All those apartments and no ground level retail. People are going to walk out of their apartments, get into their cars and drive to other neighborhoods with thriving restaurant and shopping scenes instead of walking out their doors and going to the local cafe. Shameful. Bad planning.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 11:08 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
All those apartments and no ground level retail. People are going to walk out of their apartments, get into their cars and drive to other neighborhoods with thriving restaurant and shopping scenes instead of walking out their doors and going to the local cafe. Shameful. Bad planning.
Or they'll just walk or bike to St. Paul Square or Southtown or downtown or further. Ii mean geez, I think the doom and gloom you're imagining is a bit much.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:55 PM
JACKinBeantown

My outlook on the matter is a bit gloomy; I'll give you that. But I bet most will get in their cars, turn on the AC and drive somewhere else. San Antonio is very much a car culture, and people will only make minimal effort to go somewhere else without the comfort of air conditioning and upholstered seats for the 8 months out of 12 that it reaches 90º or more in south Texas.

Also, why not push for retail in all neighborhoods with multi-unit dwellings? Make city living great again!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 1:26 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
My outlook on the matter is a bit gloomy; I'll give you that. But I bet most will get in their cars, turn on the AC and drive somewhere else. San Antonio is very much a car culture, and people will only make minimal effort to go somewhere else without the comfort of air conditioning and upholstered seats for the 8 months out of 12 that it reaches 90º or more in south Texas.

Also, why not push for retail in all neighborhoods with multi-unit dwellings? Make city living great again!
Every city developed after the world wars is a car centric city. Once the interstates were built and suburbs became a hit with families, car centric was the way of the future.

That doesn't change the fact that sure, they'll get in their car, but they aren't driving to stone oak or la canters every time. They'll drive to Southtown or the pearl or Alamo heights. Just like New Yorkers drive to other areas. Just like people in Washington DC drive to other places whether near or far. Just like Chicagoans drive to other areas. Just like Parisians drive. None of those dense. And urban cities are carless. San Antonio will never be carless. These urban infill projects are great and sure they'd be better with street level retail or commercial space, but that doesn't change that they're great projects none the less, because those residents will walk, bike, jog, drive, car pool, bus, uber, taxi, pedicab, barge their way to areas immediately surrounding them because those areas will attract them, for the same reason the housing attracted them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio