HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 10:05 PM

Here's a few pics of the DT University Hospital addition that's showing itself above the highway now.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 10:57 PM

Even though it still needs a couple more floors to go, it already adds so much more to that area.
Here is the webcam from the University website:
http://www.universityhealthsystem.co...vision/webcam/
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 2:20 AM

^^^

Yeah I agree, I really hope the city doesn't end p giving them the land in the end. The idea is great, but I would rather have a more dense growth, then another box and parking lot...

Unless they built a parking garage with retail along the road side to promote pedestrian traffic... However in the end, I can see this a pioneer factor in east-side growth and urbanization for the future.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 10:15 PM

While not open to the public or of any use to anyone except federal employees it does bring one more open lot off the market.

Nothing major but this plus another possible garage and apartments a block away (for Municipal Auditorium) and the area could have a new look in a few years

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...gs-renovation/

Parking garage to complement federal building’s renovation

"Construction of a six-level parking garage will soon begin one block north of the Alamo, and when completed, will act as a complementary piece to the renovation of the Hipolito Garcia Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse, currently about a year away from completion, according to the General Services Administration..."

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 10:26 PM

Some updates of the Public Safety Headquarters

I also read on a previous City Council Agenda that some street work is planned for that stretch of Santa Rosa and parts of Durango, presumably to get ready for an influx of traffic to that area.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 2:29 PM

Public Safety Headquarters

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 5:34 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
That view needs a few 600-700 footers!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 12:06 AM

A little something that caught my attention on this weeks HDRC agenda. JackinNYC, this might sit better with you than the wall that Luke created along the riverwalk.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/historic/D...-11_Case_8.pdf
Quote:
Riverspace
133-155 E. Travis Street

The applicant is requesting conceptual approval to:
1) Replace existing doors, storefronts, and brick arches with new storefront and garage doors
2) Create new curb cut at existing sidewalk
3) Replace existing terrace with new steel framed construction
4) Create new river level café with storefront glass, awnings,

http://www.sanantonio.gov/historic/D...Staff_Recs.pdf
Quote:
RECOMMENDATION:
On June 21, 2011, the applicant met with the Design Review Committee (DRC) concerning the proposed project. At this meeting the committee noted possible floodplain issues at the proposed location of the café along the Riverwalk. The applicant recognized these concerns and stated that research has been done to assure no future floodplain issues at the proposed site. The committee also noted concerns with the proposed excavation and demolition of the historic Riverwalk wall. The committee suggested a revised design be done for the façade of the proposed Riverwalk Riverspace Café. The committee suggested a design that would create entry ways through the riverwalk wall and retain a majority of the wall as the primary façade. The applicant agreed to review the proposed façade design and address the concerns of the committee. All other project details were noted as acceptable by the DRC.

The applicant proposes plans to renovate an under utilized but highly viable building for residential and commercial use. The remodel of the East Travis façade will attempt to create a more open façade by using modern store front glazing. A new garage and curb cut will exit onto the Travis Street as well. On the river side of the property, plans propose a new steel framed retail space and terrace above. Plans currently show this will be a café with storefront glazing, an awning and outdoor seating. For final approval the applicant will redesign the proposed façade per DRC comments and RIO district guidelines.

Staff recommends conceptual approval with the following stipulations:

1) Further development shall be done for the proposed Riverspace Café facade. The proposed design shall reflect those comments noted by the Design Review Committee.

2) The applicant shall consult with the City Archaeologist for review of the proposed Riverwalk excavation prior to final approval.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 4:30 PM

I walk past this building everyday. I have been eyeing it for a potential spot for new development. I wanted them to demolish this building and the parking garage where Blanco Cafe is for a new High Rise. The new design is nice, don't get me wrong, but disappointed that nothing tall will be going here. Watch the Alamo Fish building will probably get this same upgrade, and the plans for the tower will be scrapped.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 1:16 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Private Parking Garage At Ave E & Travis

Does anyone have any more info on the parking garage that is going up at Ave E & Travis? All I know is that Travis will be closed for 8 weeks, it is a private garage for the courthouse across the street, and that it will be about 6 or 8 floors.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay View Post
Does anyone have any more info on the parking garage that is going up at Ave E & Travis? All I know is that Travis will be closed for 8 weeks, it is a private garage for the courthouse across the street, and that it will be about 6 or 8 floors.
That's about all the info anyone has or needs. It'll fill in that space nicely between the Post Office and EN building. If you can't imagine it, just picture the McGuire Apartments one block SE; that used to be a parking garage a long time ago.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:25 AM

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 5:38 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

[QUOTE=miaht82;5354247]That's about all the info anyone has or needs. QUOTE]

Thank you, miaht82, for the comment, but telling me that I do not need any more information is not helpful. I am looking for more information. Most importantly I would like to know if the parking garage would be available to the public on weekends. I know its early in the game, but if anyone out there does have any info, I would very much appreciate it if you shared.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 6:42 PM

Well, I think he was mostly trying to suggest that there is no more information available, I mean it is after all only a parking garage. But as you already know it will be off limits to the public and I believe that stands for weekends as well. I'm certain it's only for federal employees in part for security reasons and it wouldn't make sense to try and secure a facility and then let the public go in on weekends.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 3:24 PM

Necropolis hit it spot on; I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just trying to suggest that you sounded pretty informed about it, at least as informed as anyone could be. I'm sorry for sounding like I came off rude in my previous comment.

Now that we're all friends again, I did manage to find some info about the project, not so much a rendering or specifics (although I think Necropolis is also right about it not being open to the public,) but I did find out that it involves HEB building it for the GSA in exchange for the Arsenal building in KW. Spawglass is GC, and it will cost $4.18 mil.

Quote:
Finalist – Asset Management
GSA/HEB Real Property Exchange

The Greater Southwest Region of GSA (GSA) is pleased to submit its entry for consideration in the 2009 Achievement Award for Real Property Innovation Program. Our entry, under the category of Asset Management, represents the epitome of achievement in real estate inventory management.

GSA undertook a project in which it is acquiring real property improvements in San Antonio, Texas, via an exchange. The other party in the exchange is the H.E. Butt Grocery Company (H.E.B.). GSA is receiving a multi-level parking garage, to be constructed by H.E.B. on United States owned property, adjacent to the Hipolito F. Garcia Courthouse/Post Office (Courthouse). In exchange for this garage H.E.B. is receiving the Federal Center (Arsenal site).

Parking at the Courthouse originally consisted of only 28 spaces. This lack of adequate parking has helped to create less than content tenants and a vacancy rate of over 41%. In an effort to address the greater parking need, GSA acquired three adjacent parking lots, creating 54 additional spaces. While this additional parking helped some to satisfy the current tenants, it has not been enough to draw the interest of new tenants, especially considering the dated condition of the building. The Courthouse is a stagnating, underutilized asset, with high reinvestment needs and a Return on Equity (ROE) of 0%, based on year-end FY 2008 financial data. A $63 million dollar Repair & Alteration (R&A) Stimulus Project is contributing much needed upgrades to the Courthouse. A determination was made that the additional parking area acquired would be better utilized to host a multi-level parking garage. This garage is designed to meet both the current and future customer’s needs. The contributory value of this garage coupled with improvements to the building from the R&A will boost the value of the whole site. Vacant space will be recaptured and new jobs created. Funds from Operations (FFO) are estimated to increase by almost $1.1 million dollars per year. Soon after completion of the renovation project, agencies currently housed in interim leased space will be relocated to the Courthouse.

Estimated costs of garage construction were provided by both GSA and H.E.B., based on a design provided by GSA. The value of the parking garage for purposes of the exchange is being determined by H.E.B., utilizing competitive bids, analyzed by a joint GSA/H.E.B. team. This team is also selecting the contractor to build the garage on a “best value” basis. In order for GSA to receive equal or greater value, H.E.B.’s consideration will be equal to or greater than the Arsenal site value of $6.28 million dollars and made up of several components to equalize the values received by GSA.

This undertaking will considerably augment the Hipolito F. Garcia Courthouse/Post Office, while simultaneously providing an opportunity for H.E.B. to be a component of greater economic and development activity in the area.

and on a side note... as if we haven't heard this before; hopefully this time it is really a go and we see more rental units soon in SoFlo.

Construction to start on Steel House Lofts
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...ct-1541995.php
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Jul 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 7:40 PM
Paradise

I'm hoping we see more action at SoFlo as well. Didn't the Clay Street Flats go on hold at the same time the Steel House Lofts did? I don't even know if the former is still alive, but I'd like to see more projects get started back up down there.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 1:31 PM

University Health Center Construction

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 4:01 PM

A bit of a DT update.

Awnings at the Homes2 Suites are up, not sure when it will open, I think target date is Oct., but it'll be nice to see it complete and functioning.
Alteza has been selling pretty steadily; 30% of 1st (of 2) phase has been sold and they hope to start selling phase 2 by Spring 2012.
Cevallos Lofts has a leasing trailer set up across the street and it looks like move in could be by mid to late fall.
PSHQ's is up to the 3rd floor now.
The Methodist Medical Office building (formerly known as Broadway Bank Medical Building) broke ground a couple of weeks ago.
2 story medical office building (on old Audreys site) looks near completion.
911 rental units "under construction" with about 550 units leasing and set to completely hit the market by the end of the year. ~200K sq. ft of office space, (at least) 3 private parking garages, hospital expansion, museum expansion, one hotel and public safety offices "under construction."
That's a pretty good overall ratio. I think its the first time in a while that hotels haven't outweighed everything else.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 3:05 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Now that we're all friends again, I did manage to find some info about the project, not so much a rendering or specifics (although I think Necropolis is also right about it not being open to the public,) but I did find out that it involves HEB building it for the GSA in exchange for the Arsenal building in KW. Spawglass is GC, and it will cost $4.18 mil.
Wow, that information pretty much answers our questions. It was our hope here at the office that the garage might be available for Alamo visitors on the weekends much the way Frost Bank has some free parking available in at least one of their lots. I thought that being a federal building, it would operate on a Mon - Fri schedule. I didn't realize that the Courthouse was seeking tennants. Oh well. Thanks Miaht, I appreciate it. You never fail to impress.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 12:29 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio