HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 5:47 PM

Time for a Convention Center Update!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 5:53 PM

Pearl Brewery Construction

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 3:50 PM

Convention Center Expansion

The Convention Center expansion is looking fantastic!! The Center is going to look pretty big as one is driving on 281 South. And from what I hear, the night view of the Center is going to look pretty amazing as well!!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 4:03 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

For what that convention center expansion is costing, it better look pretty damn amazing.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 4:11 PM

Good news for the Eastside and St. Paul's Square!

Quote:
Near East Side due for more apartments, possibly office
By Benjamin OlivoFebruary 10, 2015

More than $240 million in private and state money could be pumped into the near East Side in the form of new apartments and office space.

Two multifamily projects — the $42.8 million Crockett Street Urban Lofts and the $40 million Merchant’s Ice Lofts — will get closer to beginning construction if a new wave of incentives, totaling $1.5 million, is approved by the City Council on Thursday.

Meanwhile, state Rep. Ruth Jones McClendon, D-San Antonio, on Tuesday filed House Bill 1255, which proposes up to $162 million for the refurbishing of the state-owned GJ Sutton Complex, 321 Center St., and possible new construction on the site.

The Crockett Street Urban Lofts, 243 Center St., is a project by developer NRP Group and a division of Zachry Corp., the property owner. The apartment project would consist of 268 units in four-story structures wrapping around the Vidorra condo midrise.

Read more: http://www.expressnews.com/business/...6074000.php#/0

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Feb 12, 2015 at 6:20 AM. Reason: resized image

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:20 PM
James

I like that. I wonder if this means that the plans for the twin tower are cancelled? Which is totally okay, now that they are building this. I can't wait for more retail to follow in the area.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 8:10 PM
JACKinBeantown

That's great, but there's no ground level retail.

For anyone on this forum who is an architect (or aspiring architect)... ALWAYS include ground level retail in an urban residential building. Please. It immediately turns an apartment building into a neighborhood. Restaurants, stores, corner delis, whatever. Otherwise the residents will just hole themselves up in their apartments and go hang out somewhere else.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I like that. I wonder if this means that the plans for the twin tower are cancelled? Which is totally okay, now that they are building this. I can't wait for more retail to follow in the area.
They had to auction off the remaining units of the first tower; so yeah, they walked away from the second tower

The one thing that did sell well was the town homes. I don't understand why they don't try and market more town homes for sale instead of apartments? That could be the start of a nice neighborhood.

If I lived in the condos I would not be too happy abut being "wrapped around" by rental units.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 9:56 PM

This view will dramatically change in a few years. Got my before shot, there will be an after photo in a few years!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Otherwise the residents will just hole themselves up in their apartments and go hang out somewhere else.
That's the problem that Houston had with some of their older projects. There were nice, tall towers and absolutely no one on the street. Their newer stuff is much more active. That said ...

Quote:
For anyone on this forum who is an architect (or aspiring architect)... ALWAYS include ground level retail in an urban residential building. Please. It immediately turns an apartment building into a neighborhood.
It's not the architects who make that call; it's the developer. First and foremost a developer needs to make their projects profitable, otherwise there's no financing. I doubt there's enough demand for retail around Sunset Station to justify skipping out on the apartment rents in order to put commercial space. If you want an example of what happens when you put it in and the market can't support it, just look at 1010 S. Flores. It's been open for over a year and a half and the retail spaces are still 85% empty.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 11:38 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:

For anyone on this forum who is an architect (or aspiring architect)... ALWAYS include ground level retail in an urban residential building. Please. It immediately turns an apartment building into a neighborhood. Restaurants, stores, corner delis, whatever. Otherwise the residents will just hole themselves up in their apartments and go hang out somewhere else.
An architect only draws what the developer wants. It's the developer who decides if there will be retail or not, not the architect.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:50 PM

Quote:

One does have to remember the location of these planned lofts. They are within walking distance of downtown! Tenants will have quick access to the upgraded RiverCenter Mall, all of the numerous Riverwalk restaurants and delis, the bars and clubs, and some art galleries and museums and finally access to performing venues for theater, concerts, ballet, symphony, etc.
IMO, I would say ground level retail and eateries are not needed at THIS location.
And I forgot to mention, St. Paul Square, which I think is due for a boom soon.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:22 PM

If these lofts happen, maybe it'll bring some more business to the already existing, and vacant, buildings on E Commerce. That area has so much potential to be a cool, walkable neighborhood that's so close to downtown. When is the University of Houston supposed to open that school or whatever it was in that area? Sorry, I forgot exactly what UH wanted to do.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:25 PM

Excited to start taking pictures of the construction progress that will be taking place here!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:45 AM

AREA: NEAR EAST SIDE
NEIGHBORHOOD: DIGNOWITY HILL

CITY COUNCIL APPROVES TWO NEAR EAST SIDE RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENTS
530 TOTAL UNITS PLANNED BETWEEN THE TWO PROJECTS

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO -- Today, city council approved two housing projects to help revitalize the east side.

The mixed income apartment projects include the "Crockett Street Urban Lofts" and the "Merchant's Ice Lofts." Half of the 530 lofts would be for people who make $50,000 or less a year.

The city says it would bring an affordable place to live near Downtown, as well as much needed changes to the East Side.

“All of these projects are going to be catalysts to fight this economic segregation that we have in San Antonio," explained District 2 Councilman Alan E. Warrick. "To get the people with mixed incomes down here, so we can improve our schools and not just have pockets where it's just poor people or just wealthy people in the area. So, we want that diversity in the neighborhoods."

The city has a goal of building 7,500 housing units in San Antonio by the year 2020. So far, they've reached half of their goal.

The NRP Group is heading up construction, which is expected to begin within the next 6 to 12 months.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 1:22 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
For what that convention center expansion is costing, it better look pretty damn amazing.
My thoughts exactly...but it's a convention center, so amazing a relative. As carpeted warehouses go, let's hope for something that interacts with the street and has some redeeming aesthetic value.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 2:30 AM

RENDERINGS FOR 111 W. JONES DEVELOPMENT IN RIVER NORTH

SITE CURRENTLY

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 8:03 PM

i'm really happy to see investment spilling to the east side instead of being concentrated exclusively along the river. I'd love to see St. Paul and Sunset become more of a "go-to" destination among locals. Always love the old school vibe when I visit St. Paul.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 7:49 PM

In my opinion, this proposed design is by far the best taking into account existing or proposed developments in River North. I feel the mid-rise design should be considered more often in this area. If that is indeed street level retail/commercial space, kudos for the developers including. Creating a streetscape/walkable community for this area will be a game changer. I hope this moves full steam ahead.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 8:52 PM

Looking forward to photographing the future Vitre project on Commerce Street. More angles to come!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio