HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
And I know this may be going off-topic, but this is an interesting article:

https://therivardreport.com/getting-...sitor-economy/

Lurking beneath the growing debate about marketing and branding San Antonio are statistics that are not found in press releases about San Antonio’s $13.4 billion visitor economy. Unpublished numbers tracked by the San Antonio Area Tourism Council (see charts) show a steady decline in visitor interest in the Alamo and Alamo Plaza, the River Walk barges and even the San Antonio Zoo. San Antonio’s long celebrated regional tourism market seems to be flat, at best, or actually shrinking.

It seems real numbers are hard to find, and what we are being told does not add up.

If the tourism numbers are correct, then we are woefully lacking in hotel rooms, and if we are not lacking in hotel rooms, then the tourism numbers are not correct, and likely way too high.

I was surprised that SA has only 35,000 or so hotel rooms. I would have thought we have more.
We actually have 47,000 but I thought it would be more.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 12:58 AM

Seems like there would be more hotel rooms considering the amount of tourism the city gets. The recent numbers of visitors in The Alamo City per year is right around 32.5 million or equivalent to the entire population of Canada. So that is almost 90,000 people visiting per day, so in short San Antonio is severely lacking in the hotel department.

Link providing details about visitors to San Antonio.
http://visitsanantonio.com/nttw

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:16 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Seems like there would be more hotel rooms considering the amount of tourism the city gets. The recent numbers of visitors in The Alamo City per year is right around 32.5 million or equivalent to the entire population of Canada. So that is almost 90,000 people visiting per day, so in short San Antonio is severely lacking in the hotel department.

Link providing details about visitors to San Antonio.
http://visitsanantonio.com/nttw
so 1 room for every two visitors seems acceptable - especially as SA is a family destination more than a business destination (both over-generalizations).

and that isn't factoring for how many of those visitors are day-trippers stopping at Sea World or Alamo or a Spurs game or whatever from the valley and austin and abilene, etc...

I've been a tourist in Austin 10 times in last two years and haven't stayed in a hotel once.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
so 1 room for every two visitors seems acceptable - especially as SA is a family destination more than a business destination (both over-generalizations).

and that isn't factoring for how many of those visitors are day-trippers stopping at Sea World or Alamo or a Spurs game or whatever from the valley and austin and abilene, etc...

I've been a tourist in Austin 10 times in last two years and haven't stayed in a hotel once.
Yes, I know not everyone traveling to San Antonio is staying, a good part of them are passing through, seeing friends, family, ect. But it does seem like San Antonio is lacking even if half of the 90,000 visitors isn't staying. That equals to say 45,000 on average and there are what 47,000 hotel rooms as someone stated.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:28 AM

Or another possibility that the total numbers of visitors maybe skewed. I could be wrong.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:04 AM

That's acutally the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Or another possibility that the total numbers of visitors maybe skewed. I could be wrong.
In reading the Rivard article I linked to, 32.5 million may be wildly overstated.

Regardless, hopefully getting the CVB our from under the city government will help. VistitSA!, (formerly the Convention and Visitors Bureau), is set to become a public/private non-profit over the next year and a half. Apparently we are the last, (what else in new?), of the top 50 visitor destinations in the U.S. to make this separation.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:05 AM

There are plenty of hotel rooms.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:46 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
There are plenty of hotel rooms.
This, based on occupancy rates, is ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

I even recall hearing the word "over-saturation" for the downtown market somewhat recently.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:19 AM
James

*from the Rivard Report

Part of the Solo Serve wall fell down and into the river today, the wall that was supposed to be saved.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:50 PM

[IMG]Solar Serve Demolition by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
And I agree, it's hideous during the day, at night, it actually looks better. Blue with white lettering.

I do wish they had found a better size/design/way of mounting, something, to make it look better during the day.
Agreed at night is better, but still not feeling a good fit for the billboard.[IMG]San Antonio Riverwalk by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 9:07 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Agreed at night is better, but still not feeling a good fit for the billboard.[IMG]San Antonio Riverwalk by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]
1) It makes the tower look shorter.

2) I laugh at the irony of all of our whining about wanting to illuminate the skyline in some way...and then our whining that someone illuminated part of the skyline and we don't like it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post

*from the Rivard Report

Part of the Solo Serve wall fell down and into the river today, the wall that was supposed to be saved.
They were not saving the part of the wall that fell down. I can't remember the number, but they are only planning on reusing the lower ~12'.

The article is a little off. The wall fell into the river/riverwalk because the working in the excavator took down a vertical support column hoping that a section of roof attached to a cross beam would come down with it. Well...the beam came down, but when the roof collapse it did not fall inward; some of it fell to the side knocking the wall down.

Prior to the collapse most of the River Wall had already been demolished.

The guy in the red shirt second from the right was the worker operating the excavator.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 10:23 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
They were not saving the part of the wall that fell down. I can't remember the number, but they are only planning on reusing the lower ~12'.

The article is a little off. The wall fell into the river/riverwalk because the working in the excavator took down a vertical support column hoping that a section of roof attached to a cross beam would come down with it. Well...the beam came down, but when the roof collapse it did not fall inward; some of it fell to the side knocking the wall down.

Prior to the collapse most of the River Wall had already been demolished.

The guy in the red shirt second from the right was the worker operating the excavator.
Thank you for clarifying!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
1) It makes the tower look shorter.

2) I laugh at the irony of all of our whining about wanting to illuminate the skyline in some way...and then our whining that someone illuminated part of the skyline and we don't like it.

Ahhhh, so maybe there is a lesson in life to be learned here.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 2:52 PM

[IMG]The Manhattan by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]
I see the tree on the top of the building.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:00 PM

There are so many exciting things happening in SA but one thing that I think is lacking is an entrepreneurial spirit in the nightlife sector of things. Cities are planning for the millenial because they are the future of the city and that's what is making Austin so appealing and successful. SA needs to start thinking outside of the box. I moved to NYC from SA three years ago and am now living in Paris and have come across so many successful ways in which to keep the young people excited about their city. SA needs some kind of nightlife culture and more art collectives. I feel like St. Paul Square is an area that could be the perfect place. Yes, St. Mary's strip is getting better and better but that is a strip of just a couple bars. These things obviously take time, and I think it will get there. But SA needs to appeal to a wider audience, most specifically young professionals and college students.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 5:32 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
There are so many exciting things happening in SA but one thing that I think is lacking is an entrepreneurial spirit in the nightlife sector of things. Cities are planning for the millenial because they are the future of the city and that's what is making Austin so appealing and successful. SA needs to start thinking outside of the box. I moved to NYC from SA three years ago and am now living in Paris and have come across so many successful ways in which to keep the young people excited about their city. SA needs some kind of nightlife culture and more art collectives. I feel like St. Paul Square is an area that could be the perfect place. Yes, St. Mary's strip is getting better and better but that is a strip of just a couple bars. These things obviously take time, and I think it will get there. But SA needs to appeal to a wider audience, most specifically young professionals and college students.
When was the last time you were in SA? The Strip is a lot more than a couple of bars. It's grown and evolved tremendously in the last couple of years. Now, aside from the bars and music venues, those have even changed, there are some really good restaurants.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Mar 17, 2017 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:

Sooo, why are you living out of the country if you think other U.S. cities have everything for their young people???

Just wondering......

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Austin is the way it is because of its origin as a college town (yes, it's also the seat of state government, but only for a few months every two years). These kinds of things grow organically and take time and money.

The downtown nightlife scene now is better than it's ever been in my lifetime. With added density, it has the opportunity to improve.

Quote:
have come across so many successful ways in which to keep the young people excited about their city.
Care to share a few?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio