HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:16 PM

Just spit balling more ideas, but Fredericksburg Rd, between W Calaveras & San Antonio Ave, has so much potential to really turn into an official Deco District, but with life and a little more density and walkability along Fredericksburg. That area could easily become a Knox/Henderson type area because of the existing built environment. And just from streetviewing the area on google, it does seem like there is already some life. With just a little fixing up and more local business moving in, that area has such great potential. It has the potential of being the Broadway of the west side

Last edited by mklunder13; May 10, 2017 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:34 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtown View Post
I like this discussion and agree with your points. However, a lesser discussed effect of the thriving tourism industry maintaining Downtown San Antonio in the meantime is that the demand for hotels and tourism-oriented space is so high that it drives up prices for real estate Downtown. Conversely, the historically tepid demand for office and apartments (and the associated lower rents of those uses) means that buying land and developing for those uses doesn't pencil with the high cost of land.

In part because of this, we've seen the development of apartments and some office in the Downtown perimeter where land is cheaper. Only within the last few years have we had strides in those uses in the urban core proper (Houston St, not River North/Southtown), however that's primarily due to local developers with a larger mission than just short term returns have taken a risk on Downtown, even though technically it doesn't pencil near term.

Their risk has appeared to confirm that "if you build it, they will come."
Recent activity Downtown suggests that there is a latent demand for quality office space in the urban core.
I should have qualified my original statement and the inferred comparison:

Quote:
There's also the nature of the economies. Some particular industries prefer downtown urban core office settings, whereas others don't. San Antonio, historically in the medium range (20-40 years), happens to not have a lot of traditionally "downtown" industry (as a proportion of its economy) relative to Austin (though San Antonio's downtown, even recently, was significantly more densely built, because it was significantly larger up until 10 years ago).
That's also changing, as the two economies are becoming more similar, more similarly sized, and more integrated via greater closer physical proximity of their urban areas due to rapid population growth (which will eventually - or may be currently - slowly increase commuter interchange rates).

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
Just spit balling more ideas, but Fredericksburg Rd, between W Calaveras & San Antonio Ave, has so much potential to really turn into an official Deco District, but with life and a little more density and walkability along Fredericksburg. That area could easily become a Knox/Henderson type area because of the existing built environment. And just from streetviewing the area on google, it does seem like there is already some life. With just a little fixing up and more local business moving in, that area has such great potential. It has the potential of being the Broadway of the west side
That stretch would benefit greatly from new curbs, sidewalks, and a different parking strategy.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 4:19 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

NEW BRANDING FOR ST. PAUL SQUARE

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 5:47 PM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
NEW BRANDING FOR ST. PAUL SQUARE

Very cool! Is this all approved or is it just a proposal?

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:03 AM

"Nearly two years after the Linda Pace Foundation first unveiled plans for a multi-story arts center in San Antonio’s SoFlo district, crews are expected to break ground on the project next week."

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...area-arts.html

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:35 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
"Nearly two years after the Linda Pace Foundation first unveiled plans for a multi-story arts center in San Antonio’s SoFlo district, crews are expected to break ground on the project next week."

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...area-arts.html
Finally! thanks for sharing!

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 3:43 PM

With all of the drama surrounding the San Antonio River barge operator (https://therivardreport.com/council-...arge-contract/), I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on the matter.

In this case it seems to me that the "local" team was gaming the system for bonus points, and that the more qualified candidate was not selected. The whole debacle is a mess, but it's sad because I truly feel it is a missed opportunity to do something different. The company selected proposed hiring a duck mascot... Because Landry's is the partner, I would imagine that they will be promoting the Rainforest Cafe, etc., as opposed to the San Antonio our leaders have been vocal in wanting to showcase (Pearl, local restaurants, culture).

The Chicago company that was recommended by City staff but not selected runs the architecture tours there, which are fantastic, and I was excited to see what they would bring to our tourist trap barges.

It's just sad because we seem to be our own worst enemy in changing the narrative about our city from "Sea World and Riverwalk tourism". San Antonio has so much potential.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:08 PM
James

Quote:
With all of the drama surrounding the San Antonio River barge operator (https://therivardreport.com/council-...arge-contract/), I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on the matter.

In this case it seems to me that the "local" team was gaming the system for bonus points, and that the more qualified candidate was not selected. The whole debacle is a mess, but it's sad because I truly feel it is a missed opportunity to do something different. The company selected proposed hiring a duck mascot... Because Landry's is the partner, I would imagine that they will be promoting the Rainforest Cafe, etc., as opposed to the San Antonio our leaders have been vocal in wanting to showcase (Pearl, local restaurants, culture).

The Chicago company that was recommended by City staff but not selected runs the architecture tours there, which are fantastic, and I was excited to see what they would bring to our tourist trap barges.

It's just sad because we seem to be our own worst enemy in changing the narrative about our city from "Sea World and Riverwalk tourism". San Antonio has so much potential.
I'm happy we are going local, but on the flip side... I agree that the experienced company should have been chosen as well. The architecture tour sounds really cool to have had something like that here. I don't see how a duck relates to San Antonio either...

I read an article that states we need to accept tourism, there is nothing wrong with being a tourist destination... but we should definitely strive to mix tourism and inner-city locals wandering downtown together.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 8:03 PM

Quote:

I agree with Jaga, I'm glad they went with the local team.
The Chicago company that lost out on the San Antonio contract also does the river cruises in Boston. I was in Boston last summer, and went on the Boston River Cruises, and sorry but it wasn't anything spectacular or stellar. It was just "okay". I know a "local" group will come up with a topnotch San Antonio Riverwalk barge experience for the tourists. After all, who else knows our city, but locals? Correct?

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 1:43 PM

I know the Chicago team was pushing water taxis to be put in to place. Has the local team that won said anything about water taxis? With the thousands of residential units being built in and around the core, it would be great for locals to be able to hop on a water taxi to the Pearl or down to the Nueva St dam to walk into King William/Southtown. As a SoFlo resident I know would take a water taxi up to the Pearl a couple times a week.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex06 View Post
I know the Chicago team was pushing water taxis to be put in to place. Has the local team that won said anything about water taxis? With the thousands of residential units being built in and around the core, it would be great for locals to be able to hop on a water taxi to the Pearl or down to the Nueva St dam to walk into King William/Southtown. As a SoFlo resident I know would take a water taxi up to the Pearl a couple times a week.
Construct a boat lock at the Nueva Street dam and one could travel by river from Pearl to Blue Star. How cool would that be?

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 9:02 PM

San Antonio Biz Journal has a bunch of pixs of the renovated BBVA Tower.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...porate-hq.html

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 12:22 AM
JACKinBeantown

Nice interior but that diaper on the roof ruins the whole thing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 9:11 PM

A couple new retail developments in mid-town and the near east side of downtown.

http://valcorcre.com/portfolio-posts/midtown-station/

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20132...LinkCode=31817

I'd post photos from their websites if I knew how to.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 2:41 PM
James

Institute of Texan Cultures to Make Way for Redevelopment

Quote:
Institute officials did not return a request for comment before publication, but provided a document about the project to the San Antonio Express-News. In their plans, developers have the option to keep the Institute on site in a 40,000-sq.-ft. structure that they would lease to the museum, according to the document. They also would need to incorporate 20,000 sq. ft. of exhibition space for the museum.

Once the Institute leases out the site to the developer, it would leave the property within the following eight months, the document states. The developer would have to decide whether to keep and renovate the existing museum, which is not designated by the City as historic. The property could, however, be turned into a hotel, apartment complex, retail structure, or office building due to its downtown zoning classification.

Developers have until Aug. 2 to submit proposals for the site. Whatever design is chosen will be integrated into the park’s evolving street grid design, the first portion of which includes walkable, bike-able, and drive-able roadways, new shrubbery, and park benches, all of which was revealed to the public this spring.
We missed this, the ITC is on its way out sooner than later.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 1:42 AM
JACKinBeantown

As long as it has plenty of ground level retail.

The Institute of Texan Cultures is boring. Bring on intelligent redevelopment!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 2:59 PM

I hope they keep it. I'm actually sad that very little from Hemisfair 1968 exist today. No more monorail, sky ride, Arena, convention center gone, they want to remove the courthouse, and now the Institute. I'm still hoping someone saves the fountains around the Tower. I'm all for the new development of Hemisfair, but new can still mix in with old.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
I hope they keep it. I'm actually sad that very little from Hemisfair 1968 exist today. No more monorail, sky ride, Arena, convention center gone, they want to remove the courthouse, and now the Institute. I'm still hoping someone saves the fountains around the Tower. I'm all for the new development of Hemisfair, but new can still mix in with old.
I think the courthouse and the texas pavilion building are cool, unique pieces of 60's architecture that should be kept. With some rehabilitating and modernization I think they could each be turned into cool spaces as centerpieces of whatever future developments surround them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio