HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:03 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
I hope they keep it. I'm actually sad that very little from Hemisfair 1968 exist today. No more monorail, sky ride, Arena, convention center gone, they want to remove the courthouse, and now the Institute. I'm still hoping someone saves the fountains around the Tower. I'm all for the new development of Hemisfair, but new can still mix in with old.
It's terribly designed to interact with the street, imo. If they keep it, they need to redo it considerably. Open up the street to it and get rid of the fence. It doesn't look very downtown.

I think the fountains are in fact going and I don't think it's a bad thing for that.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 10:14 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
A food and entertainment park project on the Eastside is set to open by January 2018, just in time for the city’s Tricentennial celebrations. The empty lot on 201 Burnet Street is close to the Hays Street Bridge and Alamo Beer Company.

“The food park will be open seven days a week,” said developer Mike Guerrero, a partner with StrEat Park LLC, which includes his brother Joe Guerrero and colleague Chris Morales. They estimate the project will cost $2.5 million. “This development is approved as an official Tricentennial site and we will host one event a month during [the year-long celebration].”

Brooklyn StrEat Food Park, nestled between Austin Street and Brooklyn Avenue, will host nine food trucks weekly, a three-story deck that will let customers eat, relax, practice yoga, and enjoy live music on all levels. The rooftop portion of the deck includes a view of downtown and the Tower of the Americas.

Quote:
“We’ve been working on this concept for four and a half years,” Mike Guerrero said Friday, during a groundbreaking ceremony at the property. “By revitalizing and cleaning up this part of the area, we hope we can be an entry point or a gateway to the Eastside.”

The project will require street closures on a portion of Burnet Street and one of two lanes on Live Oak Street from Nolan Street to Brooklyn Avenue in order to expand pedestrian and bicycle access to the property.

A community garden will also be built on a portion of Burnet Street, said Joe Guerrero, which will be used to teach students at the Healy Murphy Center about the horticulture and culinary industries. The Healy Murphy Center is a nonprofit that provides an alternative education program for at-risk teens who have difficulty succeeding in a traditional school environment.

Quote:
“We cultivated a relationship with Healy Murphy to bring them into our project,” Joe Guerrero said. “A lot of kids that come from a single family home or no family and Healy Murphy provides a safe environment for them to learn. In our design you see that there’s planters back there, so we’re going to create a completely sustainable environment.

“The students are going to plant the food and the food trucks are going to buy the food and then create a menu from the fresh garden. We’ll also have freezers and space in the building so the food trucks don’t have to carry so much food.”

The developers are working with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) to construct a lot parking lot under Highway-37 off Brooklyn Avenue to increase parking opportunities in the area. In addition, Joe Guerrero said, a pedestrian bridge will connect Live Oak and Brooklyn streets and provide easy access to the nearby Hays Street Bridge.

Quote:
“There’s a lot of growth and activity out here but finding banks that are willing to take the chance on an Eastside commercial development … is a roll of the dice,” Joe Guerrero said. “There’s still some stigma on the Eastside, and we want to change that.”

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 3:15 AM

Many of you may have seen this

But I thought it to be an interesting article of old/new.

https://therivardreport.com/commenta...ense-of-beige/

I think the comments are just as interesting as the article itself.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 8:49 AM

The historic Emily Morgan hotel getting a new copper roof.

http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/local...photo-13192086

I know it's not "new development" but any renovations happening is just as good.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:41 PM

http://m.mysanantonio.com/food/artic...r-11294798.php
New rooftop bar for the Fairmont Hotel.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
The historic Emily Morgan hotel getting a new copper roof.

http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/local...photo-13192086

I know it's not "new development" but any renovations happening is just as good.
Thank you so much for postings this. While I am one that wants and loves tall buildings, this, coupled with the Courtyard Inn downtown, are my favorite buildings in San Antiono, with the Bank of America Plaza being number 1#. This picture is truly impressive.

Last edited by Fryguy; Jul 18, 2017 at 4:21 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2017, 8:36 AM
World Traveler

I love the detailed work there. A lot of newer buildings lack that sort of character, in my opinion. This is one of the things I love about San Antonio - lots of history and truly cool architecture in the downtown area.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 11:26 PM

It appears things are moving right along for the Hedrick Building.

"In about three weeks, workers will start removing the building’s dingy facade to expose its original 1920s-era brick exterior with terracotta decorations."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/real-est...photo-13481247

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post

"In about three weeks, workers will start removing the building’s dingy facade to expose its original 1920s-era brick exterior with terracotta decorations."

YES!!!!!
Finally!!!
Should this redevelopment have it's own thread??

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:08 AM

Quote:

Any renderings of what it will look like?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:

I think this will be a nice development but the city needs to try and entice greyhound to move their bus station to another area if they really want that area to flourish.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:04 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I think this will be a nice development but the city needs to try and entice greyhound to move their bus station to another area if they really want that area to flourish.
Some of us have hopes to move it to the multimodal area west of DT but we shall see.

This development will be a good shot in the arm for the area in terms of people walking around.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
The area is dominated by vacant lots and parking garages. Patrons of a bus service are the least of that area's challenges.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 8:22 PM

Quote:
The area is dominated by vacant lots and parking garages. Patrons of a bus service are the least of that area's challenges.
Move the bus station and maybe more developers take a chance on developing some of those vacant lots around there.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Move the bus station and maybe more developers take a chance on developing some of those vacant lots around there.
Why would that happen?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Why would that happen?
Maybe because they see an opportunity to get a better return than they are currently receiving.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Maybe because they see an opportunity to get a better return than they are currently receiving.
Why would that happen? What is it about a bus depot that would diminish the "return" of a property investment in the area? Do you think the people spending millions to restore the Hedrick Building, convert it to luxury apartments (apparently the most expensive apartments in downtown) with fine dining, rooftop bar, etc., know that there's a bus depot right across the street? Don't you think you should warn them?

The area has a number of vacant lots for the same reason that all of downtown is covered with vacant lots. It has nothing to do with a bus depot, which is an amenity that belongs downtown.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 1:06 AM

Okay, so,

Quote:
Why would that happen? What is it about a bus depot that would diminish the "return" of a property investment in the area? Do you think the people spending millions to restore the Hedrick Building, convert it to luxury apartments (apparently the most expensive apartments in downtown) with fine dining, rooftop bar, etc., know that there's a bus depot right across the street? Don't you think you should warn them?

The area has a number of vacant lots for the same reason that all of downtown is covered with vacant lots. It has nothing to do with a bus depot, which is an amenity that belongs downtown.
What is that same reason? You keep alluding to it, but never state it. What is it?

Or is it some other "car-centric" rant in which you wish to engage?

I ask, because I would love to see those vacant lots turned into skyscrapers, and would love to know how we can make that happen.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Some of us have hopes to move it to the multimodal area west of DT but we shall see.

This development will be a good shot in the arm for the area in terms of people walking around.
Unfortunately, that depot, as built currently, looks insufficient to incorporate the Greyhound bus station. I agree, it would be a good fit, but unfortunately, the city of San Antonio, and VIA thought small again.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 1:45 AM

Quote:

Agree to disagree.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio