HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 5:04 AM
JACKinBeantown

Here's a good example of what happens when you don't have ground level retail. Ick!

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4230...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 2:27 PM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 5:09 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Interesting, a 900ft ferris wheel on the lot south of Lonestar... I dig it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 7:02 PM

Not opposed to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Interesting, a 900ft ferris wheel on the lot south of Lonestar... I dig it.
Just seems a weird place for it. Close to the core would seem better, but perhaps there are things in the works we're not aware of.

Also, as always, I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 9:07 PM

Doesn't that lot still belong to whatever municipal entity (CPS I think) owns the Mission power plant across the river which they are turning into Epicenter?

Wait a minute. Google tells me the current world's tallest ferris wheel is 550ft. A nine hundred foot tall ferris wheel seems ridiculous and maybe structurally impossible? It would be 150 feet taller than the Tower of the Americas.

There's a wheel under construction in New York that will be 625 feet. It is costing $230 million. My mind hasn't been blown this hard since I thought HEB was gonna build a land bridge.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
That's really interesting. An FAA filing wouldn't have been made unless someone was serious about it. There is one U/C in Dubai (that seems like an appropriate place for one) that will be the world's tallest, and it's only 689'.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That's really interesting. An FAA filing wouldn't have been made unless someone was serious about it. There is one U/C in Dubai (that seems like an appropriate place for one) that will be the world's tallest, and it's only 689'.
I'm certainly behind the "everything is bigger in Texas" ethos, but this does seem weird.

If it is real, and if it were to every be built, I would be first in line for ride.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 4:22 AM

Quote:
What's the locations suppose to be?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 4:43 AM

FAA filings have a map that shows a project's location, and this one is located in an industrial area by the San Antonio River. The vacant area in the middle of this Google view appears to be the location.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 5:20 AM
World Traveler

I think that's pretty cool, but why is it so far from the downtown area? Is there a draw to that particular spot or is the thought that 900 ft is high enough to not really matter?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I think that's pretty cool, but why is it so far from the downtown area? Is there a draw to that particular spot or is the thought that 900 ft is high enough to not really matter?
If this hypothetical beast were downtown, it would utterly dwarf the skyline.

The proposed location is good for this hypothetical wheel. It's on the river in the Mission Reach, about half a mile from Concepcion. It's right next to the Lone Star brewery someday redevelopment (I wonder if this wheel is the reason the property was pulled from auction). It's directly across the river (and already connected by a bridge) from http://www.epicenterus.org/. It's near the soon-to-open http://confluenceparksa.org/. When you start putting together all the pieces, the addition of this hypothetical wheel could end up changing the entire development dynamic of the Southside.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 12:48 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Unless this is connected to the Lone Star development, this seems like sort of an insane place to put the world's tallest ferris wheel, to put it mildly. Apart from the obvious that the world's tallest (by an extremely wide margin) ferris wheel would be absurd anywhere in San Antonio, this particular site seems problematic. Apart from being pretty far from downtown, it's cut off from Probandt by the railroad and on the other side by the river, so access to what would quickly become one of the state's top tourist attractions would be tricky. Plus it doesn't seem like it would be nearly enough land to support a freaking 900 ft tall ferris wheel.

Could this possibly be a typo? Like the data entry clerk at the FAA clicked "ferris wheel" instead of "cell phone tower" on the drop down menu or something?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Could this possibly be a typo? Like the data entry clerk at the FAA clicked "ferris wheel" instead of "cell phone tower" on the drop down menu or something?
A 900' cell phone tower would still be a tourist attraction. But mistakes do happen. There was an FAA filing for a cell phone tower in Austin about a year ago that was listed as a Hilton hotel.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
A 900' cell phone tower would still be a tourist attraction. But mistakes do happen. There was an FAA filing for a cell phone tower in Austin about a year ago that was listed as a Hilton hotel.
Communications towers taller than 1000' are routine. even in San Antonio.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 3:56 PM
Meh

You know, it's really not that far from downtown. It's only a mile and a half from the Tower Life Building. To have a 900 foot tall ferris wheel (that's so crazy!) inside downtown would kind of defeat the purpose of it. Being that high up right in downtown, a lot of stuff in downtown would be out of your peripheral field of vision and you'd be spending a good amount of time looking down and really missing a lot of stuff that was closest to you. The Tower of the Americas is tall and all, but the observation deck outside is only at 560 feet. It actually feels pretty intimately close to downtown and you're really able to pick things out and really see all the buildings, even the smallest ones like the Alamo. This thing would be more than 300 feet higher than the outside observation deck on the Tower of the Americas. To have to ferris wheel be closer you'd really be overlooking much of downtown. It would also be competing with the Tower of the Americas too much. I think having it farther away offers a different experience and kind of view than the Tower of the Americas offers, and the two wouldn't be competing each other. In fact, they'd be complementing each other. You could see the Tower of Americas from the ferris wheel and the ferris wheel from the Tower of the Americas.

As for a typo, maybe there really is a ferris wheel being planned there, but maybe only 90 feet? Come on, don't jinx it!

Anyway, these ferris wheels don't really need that much room. Go check out the London Eye on Google Earth. The thing sits right on the edge of the Thames. That one only takes up a space that is ~160 feet by ~430 feet. The site for the San Antonio one measures around 1,400 feet by 1,800 feet, which seems more than enough for it. The only thing I wonder about is parking or the ease of transportation to it. And are there bike lanes around there? There doesn't seem to be any.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 4:01 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Communications towers taller than 1000' are routine. even in San Antonio.
Not cell phone towers, though. They tend to only be around 100 feet tall. They don't need to be as tall because they have more of them. Just within a mile or so of my neighborhood, I can think of at least 4 of them, and all of those are 100 feet tall.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:21 PM

The only logical explanation is that it's going to be a 90 foot cell tower.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
And are there bike lanes around there? There doesn't seem to be any.
There's the Mission Reach! It's an easy walk or bike ride from downtown to that spot. I've done it many times myself, and it would be very simple for tourists. Not that I'm saying nobody would drive there, but the fact is there's an excellent pedestrian option from downtown straight to there.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
The only logical explanation is that it's going to be a 90 foot cell tower.

Nope! Not according to an online SA Express News article. The proposal is for real. Whether it gets built or not is a different story!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 3:40 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Nope! Not according to an online SA Express News article. The proposal is for real. Whether it gets built or not is a different story!
I'm betting they were reading this thread. They even mentioned that it wasn't a typo, as was speculated here. So there's definitely something planned there.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio