HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 7:33 PM

Is Wells Fargo the oldest logo that adorns the Wells Fargo Center? Never seen it change in my lifetime yet.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 10:51 PM
Desert Dweller

^^^ I believe so! Crocker Citizens Bank merged with Wells Fargo in 1986 so I'm assuming it went up that year. The Union Bank signage that adorned Union Bank Plaza is probably the second oldest, it was up from 1968 until 1996 when Union Bank merged with Bank Of California. While technically not "logos" One Wilshire probably has the oldest signage, which has been in place 1966. 1100 Wilshire also had signage from 1987 until 2014 when it was replaced with the Chase logo.

Downtown LA's skyline is unique in the way that all of it's tallest buildings have had signage at one point or another, with the exception of the 777 Tower. I don't think any other American skylines have experienced a similar phenomenon? I've always wondered why this is, perhaps since the skyline is featured so frequently in pop culture.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
The only way LA will get more 70 or 80 story towers on compact parcels is probably through some form of height transfers.
actually, the scale of future projs will depend far more on things like this occurring over & over again....

Quote:
Preferred Bank has expanded its headquarters at 601 S. Figueroa St. in downtown Los Angeles to 37,000 square feet, landlord Brookfield Properties announced.

The bank previously leased around 22,000 square feet at the Figueroa at Wilshire building, sources said. The building’s other tenants include law firms Seyfarth Shaw and Dentons, Brookfield said in a statement.

“Downtown Los Angeles has been our home for many years and our company growth mirrors the great success of this thriving business district,” said Li Yu, Preferred Bank’s chairman and CEO.

But that obviously would have to be occurring over & over again, so much so that 37,000 would be more like 37,000,000. If demand for space in dt were very high, the wilshire grand proj likely would have been taller.

Devlprs of other new projs in the hood would have raised the scale of their bldgs....both vertically & horizontally...& even felt pressured to do so by the economics...if a lot of businesses were pouring into dtla instead of sticking with silicon bch, culver city, century city, glendale, the OC, dallas, houston, atlanta, SF, NYC.

I was hoping that trend would have changed well before today, but it still hasn't....or not enough. So far, it's mainly ppl needing space for apts & condos in dtla who are creating demand for new bldgs.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Is Wells Fargo the oldest logo that adorns the Wells Fargo Center? Never seen it change in my lifetime yet.
That building had the Crocker Bank logo on top of it for several years before the merge with Wells Fargo (early- to mid-eighties).

Here is a link to a photo of the Crocker tower along with the Security Pacific tower: http://corporate.ppg.com/getmedia/3b...-KPMGTower.jpg

Last edited by Melo Blue; May 23, 2018 at 2:17 AM. Reason: Added link to image.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 6:12 AM

Forgot to mention the TCW Tower has one of the oldest ones as well! If I had to pick an era of the logos that adorned the LA skyline, I'd have to pick the late 90's when we had Sanwa Bank (PWC), the ARCO Towers (Bank of America/Paul Hastings), the old red Bank of America logo (City National Bank), IBM (where KPMG used to be), AT&T (611 Place), MCI (former Verizon building), Transamerica Building (USC) and that white blob on Ernst Young. Does anyone remember what logo was on top of the 444 Tower in the late 90's?

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Downtown LA's skyline is unique in the way that all of it's tallest buildings have had signage at one point or another, with the exception of the 777 Tower. I don't think any other American skylines have experienced a similar phenomenon? I've always wondered why this is, perhaps since the skyline is featured so frequently in pop culture.
777 Tower has to bring back the holiday colors like they once did. I think that practice ended around 2003?

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 4:01 PM

Pershing Square goals:

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 4:18 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Forgot to mention the TCW Tower has one of the oldest ones as well! If I had to pick an era of the logos that adorned the LA skyline, I'd have to pick the late 90's when we had Sanwa Bank (PWC), the ARCO Towers (Bank of America/Paul Hastings), the old red Bank of America logo (City National Bank), IBM (where KPMG used to be), AT&T (611 Place), MCI (former Verizon building), Transamerica Building (USC) and that white blob on Ernst Young.
Agreed. Don't forget the First Interstate logos on the US Bank Tower and Aon Center! The First Interstate logo looked so much better on the Library Tower than the current US Bank monstrosity. It almost hurts to look at this image knowing how the crown looks now...

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-fi...-12300832.html

Also has anyone else noticed how dull the lighting has gotten on the US Bank Tower once it changed ownership? For a while the lights were off completely...now they just look half assed.

http://www.axiomimages.com/aerial-st.../view/AX69_116

Now

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/c...t-shot-in.html

Quote:
Does anyone remember what logo was on top of the 444 Tower in the late 90's?
There once was a logo on top of the building but I do not recognize what company it is, does anyone recognize it? Eventually it was replaced with a "444" logo reflective of it's address during the 90's. I do miss that logo, looked totally natural with the building! It briefly had a Citibank logo in the early 2000's, then it was replaced with a Citigroup logo and finally just the Citi logo we see today.

https://www.acmartin.com/portfolio/444-south-flower

http://www.leaseholdadvisors.com/wor...o-item/office/

Quote:
777 Tower has to bring back the holiday colors like they once did. I think that practice ended around 2003?
I don't recall this lighting scheme, does anyone have any pictures? I would love to see them! If only we could get the owners of the Gas Company Tower to light up their building...

Last edited by Patrick; May 23, 2018 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 4:59 PM
Ascension

That 444 logo needs to come back. So slick.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 5:09 PM

http://www.axiomimages.com/aerial-st.../view/AX69_116

Now

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/c...t-shot-in.html

I have also noticed, but I assumed maybe I was remembering wrong about how bright they were. I am assuming it has to do with the observation deck. Still sad, nonetheless. Anyone know if Skyspace is even successful? Doesn't seem too hot among tourists.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 5:53 PM

Some of you IMO, are being extremely dramatic. The sign on the US Bank Tower, is not that bad.

As far as the slide, supposedly its still getting business. I've been up there twice due to friends visiting and there was a line each time. I personally don't think its worth the money, but can see it appealing to others.

Last edited by scania; May 23, 2018 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 9:36 PM
Ascension

They should bring back the old Crocker Center logo. That and the 444 are my favorites. That and the First Interstate I.

http://www.waynethom.com/archive/alb...ker_Center.jpg

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
There once was a logo on top of the building but I do not recognize what company it is, does anyone recognize it? Eventually it was replaced with a "444" logo reflective of it's address during the 90's. I do miss that logo, looked totally natural with the building! It briefly had a Citibank logo in the early 2000's, then it was replaced with a Citigroup logo and finally just the Citi logo we see today.

That is the old Wells Fargo Bank logo.

Last edited by Melo Blue; May 23, 2018 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Added quote.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:

http://www.leaseholdadvisors.com/wor...o-item/office/

Ah... 444

My first impression of Los Angeles as a kid in the 1980s was watching the montage of DTLA during the opening theme of LA Law.

http://youtu.be/U0SFXUotiqs

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 11:44 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Some of you IMO, are being extremely dramatic. The sign on the US Bank Tower, is not that bad.
Idk about extremely dramatic, just head over to the old US Bank Tower thread and you'll see I'm one of many who shares this opinion. But hey, I'm glad you like it!

Didn't mean to send the thread so off-topic...anyways our beautiful skyline is looking T H I C C.

10159212521 by Natasha Masharova, on Flickr

Last edited by Patrick; May 23, 2018 at 11:56 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:07 AM

Quote:
There once was a logo on top of the building but I do not recognize what company it is, does anyone recognize it? Eventually it was replaced with a "444" logo
That's the stagecoach insignia of wells fargo bank, which used to have its main LA offices in the 444 flower st bldg.

Quote:
A Two-Story Cocktail Palace Opens at the Historic Hotel Figueroa in Downtown LA

Dushan Zaric of NYC’s Employees Only bar has been on a tear lately, recently opening a branch of his iconic cocktail spot in West Hollywood. He’s also been tasked with launching bar spaces inside the multi-faceted and historic Hotel Figueroa in Downtown LA, and its latest addition is called Rick’s, which opened last night. It’s a two-story standalone building on the far side of the hotel’s pool serving breezy tropical drinks with a view of Downtown and the poolside.

laeater.com

laeater.com

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:41 AM

So, slightly off topic but speaking of Skyspace.. I remember they had a firework show on the tower. Thought it would be a great event for New Years. Curious as to why this isn't a thing, considering it is an icon of LA.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
So, slightly off topic but speaking of Skyspace.. I remember they had a firework show on the tower. Thought it would be a great event for New Years. Curious as to why this isn't a thing, considering it is an icon of LA.
I think I mentioned it around NYE too. Maybe Wilshire Grand should join as well?

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:42 AM

Meh... ppl here are being dramatic really. US bank tower is beautiful, and no the logo doesn’t really take away from its beauty... I think y’all are just so used to it not being there, but for someone like me who grew up with it... it’s an icon. I just got back from LA this passed weekend for Impulse LA’s Daddy Issues party and seeing the US Bank tower still my draw drop.. it’s timeless for someone who come from a pretty small skyline like San Diego’s. The US Bank tower looks great. The lighting is great, everything is great.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Forgot to mention the TCW Tower has one of the oldest ones as well! If I had to pick an era of the logos that adorned the LA skyline, I'd have to pick the late 90's when we had Sanwa Bank (PWC), the ARCO Towers (Bank of America/Paul Hastings), the old red Bank of America logo (City National Bank), IBM (where KPMG used to be), AT&T (611 Place), MCI (former Verizon building), Transamerica Building (USC) and that white blob on Ernst Young. Does anyone remember what logo was on top of the 444 Tower in the late 90's?
444 was the oriiginal SoCal HQ of Wells Fargo before they moved into Crocker Center on Bunker Hill after the merger. ATT (611 Place) was originally the SoCal HQ of Crocker Citizens Bank, from about 1969 to the completion of Crocker Center on Bunker Hill in the early/mid 1980s. The Bank of America tower on Bunker Hill was originally the world HQ of Security Pacific Bank, and had the SPB logo on it for years until it merged w. Bank America around 1992. Bank America moved its SoCal HQ from the south tower of ARCO Center to the Bunker Hill building. Bank of America partnered with ARCO to build ARCO center almost 50 years ago. Hard to believe it was that long ago! 50 years--where does time go?

Last edited by CaliNative; May 24, 2018 at 10:23 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations