HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
The cabin comfort level of any narrow body aircraft is based on the configuration of the cabin. ACs Rouge A319s are awful just the same as Sunwings 737s. On the other hand Deltas 737-800s are comfortable just like Lufthansas A321! Its completely dependent on the airline and not the type of aircraft. Excluding regional aircraft of course because we all know how cramped those are.
As someone who regularly flies home to YHZ; I agree with you but I can say I find the AC Airbus aircraft far more comfortable than WJ's 737's. I have always found the 737's cramped; particularly at the window. The only comfortable seats for me are on the isle and I still end up with bruises from carts and people. Not disputing the Rouge seating though - took them once, NEVER again. I was in pain after I got off the plane...that's not right. The A319/320 and 321 in the regular fleet for AC are comfy, at least for me.

Having flown Delta's 737's in both J and Y cabins - I agree; their configuration is quite good. With AC going to 737's; I'll hold my judgement until I've tried the flight and their configuration. If it's bad; then I'm not sure what I will do.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 6:00 PM

I posted this in the Atlantic Canada airport thread but figured it should be posted here as well:

Halifax Stanfield's Annual Report

http://hiaa.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...15-English.pdf

This year looks like it will be a banner year for passenger growth, and Halifax Stanfield is well on it's way to surpassing 4 million passengers a year.

Also:

Quote:
Korean Air Cargo Adds a Second Weekly 747

Korean Air Cargo will add a second weekly 747 cargo freighter beginning on May 11, 2016. The freighter is scheduled to arrive in Halifax on Wednesdays at 6:20 a.m. to pick up cargo, much of which is live lobster. The freighter then departs at 8 a.m. for Seoul, South Korea. Korean Air Cargo has operated a 747 or 777 freighter at Halifax Stanfield for nearly two years. Together, the two flights are expected to generate over $2,000,000 in export value to the province each week.
http://hiaa.ca/2016/05/airport-autho...sults-in-2015/

Last edited by q12; May 7, 2016 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 10:28 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

This year looks like it will be a banner year for passenger growth, and Halifax Stanfield is well on it's way to surpassing 4 million passengers a year.
That is good news. The Atlantic Provinces needs an airport with good connections.

Are there any preliminary stats for passengers handled in 2016?

I wonder if the economic turndown in Alberta will result in fewer Martimers flying back and forth?

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 10:45 PM

Their projected forecast growth percentages bear no resemblance to those of the preceding 3 years. With the oil industry downturn I am dubious of their numbers.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Their projected forecast growth percentages bear no resemblance to those of the preceding 3 years. With the oil industry downturn I am dubious of their numbers.
Yeah, unless the source contains some deeper economic analysis, those growth numbers seem... wishful.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 2:00 PM

From Canadian airport thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourkky View Post
Qatar Cargo to commence Halifax in July. Guess all those Lobsters going onto the YUL-DOH flight will now be loaded on the new Halifax flight!

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...rom-july-2016/

https://www.facebook.com/hfxstanfield

Quote:
Condor Airlines announces Halifax-Munich direct flights

Read story here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ghts-1.3611706
CBC News Posted: Jun 01, 2016 8:36 PM AT

If Munich is a city you've always wanted to visit, then this summer might be the time to do it.

Frankfurt-based Condor Airlines is launching a once-a-week direct flight from Halifax to Munich that will begin Friday and run until October.

"We already fly three times a week from Halifax to Frankfurt and now the fourth service, a brand new service, is to Munich in southern Germany," said Titus Johnson, the airline's vice-president. "It's another connection to the biggest economy in Europe and the fantastic city of Munich in Bavaria."

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 10:26 PM

Bad news for YHZ.

Confirmation that Delta will be ceasing flights to JFK as of October 1st and American is now cutting the Philly to Halifax service next year. I knew something was up with Delta when they had nothing in the schedule but the Westjet flight via Boston. It was a great flight to JFK - very short and convenient.

American Cuts Philly to YHZ flight.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Bad news for YHZ.

Confirmation that Delta will be ceasing flights to JFK as of October 1st and American is now cutting the Philly to Halifax service next year. I knew something was up with Delta when they had nothing in the schedule but the Westjet flight via Boston. It was a great flight to JFK - very short and convenient.

American Cuts Philly to YHZ flight.
I can perhaps understand the Philly flight being a problem to sell but the JFK connection failing is a mystery to me. I do not get why direct Halifax-NYC flights never seem to last long.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 1:07 AM

Just to clarify the Delta flight to JFK goes seasonal this October but is back in June 2017.

United Airlines still has 4 flights a day to Newark.

The American Airlines flight to PHL was operated originally by U.S. Airways before they merged with American. I'm not even sure PHL will stay a hub for American down the road after everything settles post merger.

The main reasons U.S. carriers are pulling out of Canadian airports is the U.S. dollar and a pilot shortage created by new rules requiring pilots of these smaller commuter aircraft to have a lot more hours (experience). I would expect to see U.S. carriers add flights to Canada again once they get the pilot shortage fixed and/or Canadian dollar increases in value.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 10:54 AM

Delta is back at YHZ in January it seems:

Quote:
Delta starting January 2017 is adding service to Halifax, with the offering of 1 daily New York JFK – Halifax route, effective from 09JAN17 (Halifax departure 10JAN17). This route is operated by Endeavor Air CRJ900 aircraft as Delta Connection.

DL4088 JFK2055 – 2355YHZ CR9 D
DL3979 YHZ0600 – 0720JFK CR9 D
Source: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...from-jan-2017/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
Delta is back at YHZ in January it seems:

Source: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...from-jan-2017/
AA ends their PHL service that day. Delta is obviously capitalizing on that with the return of year round service to JFK. YHZ will have only lost the Delta JFK route for 3 months before they bring it back this January.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 2:03 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I didn't realize we had lost the Delta flight to JFK, we used it Feb. and April with connections to Orlando.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I didn't realize we had lost the Delta flight to JFK, we used it Feb. and April with connections to Orlando.
I used it this past summer - was awesome (when it's the two flights a day in the high season). I came in during the afternoon; perfect timing just after the London flight had been processed and cleared out.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 5:23 PM

Halifax Stanfield's passenger numbers grew by more than 5% in 2016 (Source: Chronicle Herald: Stanfield airport emerges as major cargo hub Published January 4, 2017), which will put it very close to 4 million passengers processed in 2016.

According to the Chronicle Herald article Dublin, Amsterdam or Paris could all be possible future passenger destinations as they are in contact with some major carriers such as British Airways.

Delta's JFK service restarted today.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 8:15 AM

Good news on the growth and possible new routes!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
According to the Chronicle Herald article Dublin, Amsterdam or Paris could all be possible future passenger destinations........
Amsterdam** would be new but Dublin and Paris have been served by ASL Airlines (formerly Europe AirPost) for several years now:

http://www.aslairlines.fr/en/flights...lin-and-paris/

**Halifax – Amsterdam was served in the '80s and '90s by Canadian Pacific and KLM on '747s and DC-10s...and later Martinair '767s.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 7:25 PM

https://hiaa.ca/2017/01/halifax-stan...-history-2016/

Quote:
Halifax Stanfield Makes History in 2016

POSTED ON JANUARY 26, 2017

Halifax Stanfield served 3,908,799 passengers in 2016, making it the busiest year in the airport’s history.

“We had a tremendously successful year thanks to our passengers and to the support of our entire airport community, as well as government and stakeholders,” says Joyce Carter, HIAA President & CEO.

“Compared to the previous year, our 2016 passenger numbers were up 5.6%. We are set to hit four million passengers in 2017 and we look forward to achieving this milestone.”

The largest segment of air service traffic was in the domestic sector. Domestic traffic represented about 84% of all traffic and was up by 7.4% over 2015 (3,268,485 passengers). Contributing to this strong increase: WestJet’s four times weekly summer service to Winnipeg and Vancouver, WestJet Encore’s full year of operation with six additional daily flights, the launch of NewLeaf service to Hamilton, and Air Canada adding seat capacity to Montreal and Toronto.

Transborder activity represented approximately 8% of all traffic and was down slightly by 1.9% to 326,602 passengers. Positives in 2016 were WestJet’s new daily service to Boston, additional seat capacity to Florida by Air Canada and WestJet in the winter season, and WestJet’s addition of weekly year round service to Orlando. However, these gains were offset by the loss of both seat capacity and frequency reduction by US carriers, American Airlines, Delta, and United.

The international sector, which also represents about 8% of all traffic, was down by 4.2% to 313,712 passengers. This was mainly due to the loss of both WestJet’s winter service to Punta Cana and Air Transat’s summer service to London Gatwick and Punta Cana.

“In 2017, we will remain committed to growth and development of air services,” says Bert van der Stege, HIAA Vice President, Business Development and Chief Commercial Officer. “We will focus on participating with airlines, industry and tourism agencies; pursuing new market opportunities in Europe, Asia and the United States; and promoting our advantages as Atlantic Canada’s air gateway.”

Air cargo also saw substantial growth last year. In 2016, 33,329 metric tonnes of cargo was processed, up 4.1% over 2015. Much of that cargo was live lobster. In fact, an estimated $187 million in seafood and lobster exports were shipped from Halifax Stanfield in 2016 up approximately $40 million from 2015. As demand for lobster and seafood continues to grow, especially to Asia, Halifax Stanfield is poised for continuing growth in seafood exports.

In 2016, Halifax Stanfield was served by 18 scheduled and charter passenger airlines flying to 45 non-stop destinations. The airport served an average of 180 flights each day to various points within Canada, the United States, Europe, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

Destinations
Halifax Stanfield enjoys the best winter escape plan in the Atlantic region with direct service to multiple sun destinations in Florida, Bahamas, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and Mexico provided by Air Canada, WestJet, Air Transat, and Sunwing.

Halifax Stanfield offers the most domestic service to and from the Atlantic region with Air Canada (operated by Air Canada and Air Canada rouge), Air Canada Express (operated by Jazz, EVAS and Sky Regional), WestJet, WestJet Encore, Provincial Airlines, Porter, and NewLeaf. Daily flights to Toronto, Toronto City Centre, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Charlottetown, Deer Lake, Fredericton, Gander, Goose Bay, Hamilton, Moncton, Saint John, St. John’s, and Sydney are complemented by seasonal service to Vancouver, Winnipeg, and Stephenville.

With daily service to Boston, Newark and New York (JFK), weekly service to Orlando and seasonal service to Fort Lauderdale, St. Petersburg and Tampa provided by Air Canada, Air Canada Express (operated by Jazz), WestJet, Air Transat, Delta, Sunwing, and United, Halifax Stanfield provides the most direct access to the United States in addition to offering the only US Preclearance facility in Atlantic Canada.

Internationally, Halifax Stanfield enjoys Air Canada year-round service to London Heathrow and Air St. Pierre year-round service to St. Pierre & Miquelon, and seasonal service by WestJet to Glasgow, ASL Airlines France to Dublin and Paris, Condor Airlines to Frankfurt and Munich, and Icelandair to Reykjavik.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 1:50 PM

Westjet is adding service from Halifax to Montreal on March 15th.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...ervice-in-s17/

2x Daily Westjet Encore Halifax - Montreal

This will make that route highly competitive like Ottawa and St. John's with Air Canada, Westjet and Porter all flying non-stop now to Montreal.

With all three airlines combined by the summer there will be approx up to:

15x daily Halifax - Ottawa

12x daily Halifax - Montreal

11x daily Halifax - St. John's

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 1:23 PM

EDIT: Portland, Maine based Elite Airways announces three times weekly service to Portland, Maine beginning June 30 using a CRJ700.

Quote:
Elite Airways Announces Nonstop Jet Service between Portland, Maine and Halifax, Nova Scotia

Starting on June 30, fly nonstop between Portland ME (PWM) and Halifax (YHZ) on Fri, Sun and Wed for as Low As $169 USD each way; Tickets available at EliteAirways.com.

“We plan to further expand this route in the fall so that passengers from Halifax can connect to other Florida destinations in Portland on Elite Airways."

READ STORY HERE: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/3330189

Last edited by q12; May 3, 2017 at 4:01 PM. Reason: Three times weekly; added press release

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
If the numbers released January 26 of this year are to be believed, it seems that passenger numbers for 2016 surpassed the projections.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure