HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Slightly related noob question:

Has anyone ever proposed a mural for the north side of the Multnomah Athletic Club?

Seems like a great opportunity to beautify the big blank back of that building and add some visual energy to the park.
Funny you should mention that... I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I highly doubt the MAC club would allow any creative types to "deface" their wall, because history, y'know?

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:23 PM

Drawings [38 MB]

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:52 AM

Some new renderings from the Timber's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/portlandtimbers

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 7:07 PM

First round with the Design Commission

Looks like the first round with the design commission was favorable, but they are asking for more details about actual impacts at street level, including lighting and streetscaping. They will return in a month or two to the Commission with details.

From Jamie Goldberg at OregonLive posted today:
http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/in...ent_stadi.html

The commission addressed a number of aspects in the design throughout the meeting, but seemed most interested in ensuring that the new arcade would be aesthetically pleasing and desirable for pedestrians. The commission also asked the Timbers and Allied Works Architecture for more specific information about how street lamps and fixtures would exist along the arcade and how far the sidewalk could be extended with the existing MAX line on SW 18th Ave.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Allied Works' Grassinger & MAC Club's Rich discuss Providence Park expansion

Recently the Portland Timbers soccer team announced a new $50 million expansion to the east side of Providence Park that will add approximately 4,000 seats, bringing its capacity to about 25,000. This is the latest in a succession of expansions to the circa-1926 stadium by esteemed local architect AE Doyle, following projects in 1956, 1982, 2001 and 2011. Given that there are about 13,000 people on the Timbers' season-ticket waiting list, it will only reduce the list by about one-third. But the expansion will represent a striking addition to the stadium, and a first-ever stadium project for the city's most acclaimed firm, Allied Works.

The new expansion literally builds on the last expansion, designed by Ellerbe Beckett (now AECOM), which provided seating on the east side of the field for the first time, in order fully convert the stadium from multi-purpose to soccer-only and to meet a Major League Soccer stipulation that seats line all four sides of the soccer pitch. The design also manages to squeeze a lot of seats into a very confined space, along 18th Avenue, by stacking rows of seats vertically with a new large roof overhang. Allied also maximized space by extending the stadium over the sidewalk to create arcades, which are also part of Doyle's 1926 design.

A few days ago I spoke with Allied Works principal Chelsea Grassinger, who is leading the project, about the expansion. And this morning I spoke with Norm Rich, general manager of the Multnomah Athletic Club, which abuts Providence Park to the south, thereby preventing expansions in that direction, about what the future might hold in that direction. (More on that later.)
...continues at Portland Architecture.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 6:28 PM

It would make a lot of sense to make better use of the Lincoln HS lot which is a waste of space. As a Lincoln graduate we still need a high school in the area and the location is fine but the use of vertical space is wasteful.

I don't see any issues with a public/private partnership either with the MAC co-occupying the site. A lot of parking and athletic facilities could be placed under an athletic field. MAC user and Lincoln faculty could use some of the parking, some of it could be market rate for downtown office users and most of it could be used when there the stadium is in use.

I imagine housing could also be squeezed in on quite a few locations on that lot and in theory the city of Portland could generate more than enough revenue to pay for an much improved new Lincoln without the taxpayers having to pay a cent.

If you then move the MAC adding another 10-15,000 in seating capacity would be easily done. I don't think they'd want more capacity than 35-40,000. To maximize revenue you want to create some scarcity of supply. Just because demand significantly outstrips supply doesn't mean it always will. Additionally, at some point an NFL team will come to Portland and then we'll get a 70,000 seat stadium somewhere else that the Timbers can use for Cascadia rivalries, friendlies against European powerhouses and the playoffs.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
It would make a lot of sense to make better use of the Lincoln HS lot which is a waste of space. As a Lincoln graduate we still need a high school in the area and the location is fine but the use of vertical space is wasteful.

Voters already approved spending the money to build a new Lincoln. Not sure what the proposed design will be, or if it will open up other room on the lot.

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/...million_b.html

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 7:20 PM

Latest drawings [122MB].

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 12:49 AM

Latest drawings [170 MB] Staff Report, which recommends approval.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 7:32 PM

Design Commission voted to approve yesterday.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Latest drawings [170 MB] Staff Report, which recommends approval.
Notably the design was reduced from four additional levels to three.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 7:57 PM

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:06 PM

Looks like this getting underway with the Timbers out of the playoffs. There's some equipment staged at 18th and Morrison.

https://twitter.com/timbersstadium

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:53 PM

^They are wasting no time. Excited for this development!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:05 PM
BANNED

God I wish projects started this fast in town. How many projects did this beat and it was proposed before a lot of those other projects that hasn’t even started yet

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 8:43 PM

Drawings [85 MB] and Staff Report for revisions to prevision design. Revisions approved last week.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 6:32 AM

Portland Timbers 2018 home opener pushed back to April 14 due to stadium expansion construction
Updated 10:20 PM; Posted 11:29 AM
By Tim Brown tbrown@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/in...art_river_home

Quote:
While their season will begin on the road with a matchup against the LA Galaxy in Los Angeles on March 4th, the Portland Timbers will be forced to wait over a month into the 2018 Major League Soccer before they can kick off in front of their home fans at Providence Park next season.

Major League Soccer announced today that the Timbers will play their first home game of the season when they host Minnesota United on Saturday, April 14, with kickoff slated for 7:30 p.m. PT. The Timbers home-opener has been pushed back due to ongoing construction for phase one of the stadium expansion at Providence Park.
...(continues)

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Drawings [85 MB] and Staff Report for revisions to prevision design. Revisions approved last week.
Final Findings and Decision by the Design Commission

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 9:04 PM

WAAAAIT, do I understand this correctly that they are going to remove 160 seats just so people on the sidewalk can see the old stadium better??

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogeric View Post
WAAAAIT, do I understand this correctly that they are going to remove 160 seats just so people on the sidewalk can see the old stadium better??
I think they traded the massing at the end of the structures to improve the viewshed in order to maintain the 160 seats.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment