HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 12:20 AM

Beaverton Beavers Ballpark Rendering

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 1:02 AM

From the looks of it, it appears to seat around 9-10,000. Not a bad looking park from the rendering.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 3:24 AM

Wait, so are the Beavers moving to Beaverton? Haven't been following and I'm kinda lazy/busy.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 3:48 AM

It looks as though Clackamas County is also making a play for the team...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2009, 7:53 AM
A before E

in case anyone is wondering, this rendering is just a rendering of what the ballpark would look like next to a MAX stop, it is not the rendering of any one specific site.

Heck, looking at the rendering closer, it doesnt even look to be proportioned right...the ball field looks really small compared to the size of the people in the perspective...but that is just a critic of a general image of a ballpark.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 9:05 AM
shozbot!

Beaverton Baseball Stadium To Cost 45 Million--Without Land

A potential deal between Beaverton and Portland Beavers owner Merritt Paulson for a $45 million baseball stadium would include an upfront contribution of at least $8 million and annual rent payments of at least $500,000, according to the city.

Public money could fit the rest of the bill--whatever that may be.

http://www.oregonlive.com/washington...tadium_to.html

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 12:12 PM

i think it is implied to go where the old cinema was:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...5735&encType=1

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 1:35 PM

WHAT??? a sports team is moving to a nother town?, how can that be?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 2:12 PM

http://djcoregon.com/news/2009/09/15...bg-plaza-site/

"Did he or didn’t he? That’s the debate that’s apparently cropped up over a claim by the owners of BG Plaza in Beaverton that Mayor Denny Doyle during a private meeting Friday told them the city is no longer interested in condemning the property to make room for a baseball stadium.".....

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 2:56 PM

I think the westgate site and the site across from Beaverton TC make the most sense. It look like the Beaverton TC site would potentially displace several residential units (50 trailers and maybe 60 apartment units). The westgate site would displace 16-18 businesses...

Either way, there aprears to be enought political will to get this done.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 9:15 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
http://djcoregon.com/news/2009/09/15...bg-plaza-site/

"Did he or didn’t he? That’s the debate that’s apparently cropped up over a claim by the owners of BG Plaza in Beaverton that Mayor Denny Doyle during a private meeting Friday told them the city is no longer interested in condemning the property to make room for a baseball stadium.".....
Actually the correct statement is for now the city is not interested in condemning...basically they would rather try negotiating first before making that an option.

If you were in negotiation with your city that wanted your property, you would be much more angry if they started the negotiations off with, "if you dont sell to us, we will just condemn your property, so how can we make this work?"

If the Briggs family doesnt budge over negotiations, they I could see that becoming an option by the end of the year.

Also, I was over in that part of Beaverton today and I have to say, a ballpark there would definitely change the feel of that area and could be what the city needs to make the Round more a part of the city...they really do need to push for a better urban core to their city anyway.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 5:18 AM

adding an influx of cars into an already deplorable system would be insane. drive around this part of Beaverton during rush hour sometime, and ask yourself what 1,500 or so more cars might do to it.

the Lents option (EZ freeway access and a MAX stop) made 1,000 times more sense than this site, and Lents was a stupid idea. yes, MAX is nearby, but if you think that the majority of beaver fans are taking mass transit you're crazy.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
adding an influx of cars into an already deplorable system would be insane. drive around this part of Beaverton during rush hour sometime, and ask yourself what 1,500 or so more cars might do to it.

the Lents option (EZ freeway access and a MAX stop) made 1,000 times more sense than this site, and Lents was a stupid idea. yes, MAX is nearby, but if you think that the majority of beaver fans are taking mass transit you're crazy.
The solution to suburban sprawl is not vacant lots and lower density, it's a more ped/bike/transit friendly place and includes more things to easily walk and take transit to. Trip generators like public stadiums belong near transit for this very reason since they allow for shorter trips and more trips to be taken via transit that otherwise would be taken via the highway or arterial road system.

On a side note, if traffic's already so bad on the west side, then perhaps 33,000 more acres of land incorporating into the UGB isn't the best thing for Washington County because it will only spread out more origins and destinations and require even more driving..

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Actually the correct statement is for now the city is not interested in condemning...basically they would rather try negotiating first before making that an option.

If you were in negotiation with your city that wanted your property, you would be much more angry if they started the negotiations off with, "if you dont sell to us, we will just condemn your property, so how can we make this work?"
I think the city recognizes that this is less than an optimal use of condemnation. A baseball stadium is hardly supporting a "public purpose". I'm sure many of you would argue otherwise, but you're probably part of that minority that really cares about sports.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 4:55 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
I think the city recognizes that this is less than an optimal use of condemnation. A baseball stadium is hardly supporting a "public purpose". I'm sure many of you would argue otherwise, but you're probably part of that minority that really cares about sports.
Personally I feel the land is underused and for being in an area that the city wishes to make its "new downtown" then I could see it being justifiable for condemnation for the betterment of the city....but doing it just for a ballpark is not a good enough reason for the city to condemn the property.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 7:13 PM

i used to live right there. the area is quite quiet north of the highways and could really use an infusion of activity. by the way, dozens of bus routes pass thru the area, plus two lrt lines and commuter rail. how's that for transportation options...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 7:42 PM
shozbot!

Merritt Paulson pulls support for Beaverton move

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie...26a073553.html

Uh-oh..... I have a feeling this whole thing just may not be happenin'. Period.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 7:59 PM
A before E

That is a shame, he was basically hoping the city of Beaverton would just rush into this plan, condemn the needed property and start building right away...what he didnt realize is that the city council has no balls to take on dramatic projects which is why Beaverton's downtown is a sorry excuse for a downtown.

But on the other end, I think Paulson was too quick to want to move the Beavers out of PGE Park, I doubt that MLS would be against giving some grace time with the renovation while plans for the Beavers are worked out in a much more normal fashion instead of the shitstorm that we have witnessed.

As of now, the worst that could happen is that Paulson pulls the deal for the Timbers and we are left with what we currently have...there is also that possibility that another metro will jump at the Beavers and Paulson will move them out of the city so that the MLS can move in.

Either way, I think it is still important for a growing metro to continue looking at the possibility of getting a MLB team, which I would be in much greater support for because not only would it be a pro baseball team, but with the Beavers, I could care less about the Padres...hell, Tacoma's team attracts a higher attendance because of who their pro team is than the Beavers can.

On the hopeful side, I hope this is a nice wake up for the city of Beaverton that has informed them that if they wish to redevelop their downtown into something usable, then they will need to pull their heads out of their asses and actually do some leg work rather than hoping magical developers will fly in and do all the work for them.

Also, I figured this was gonna be dead in the water when I heard the city council talking about sending this to a vote...not because it would lose in a ball of flames, but because the vote would probably have to happen in May and Paulson needed this to be a done deal by Thanksgiving so that stadium construction could begin in February.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 8:51 PM

Hopefully they can get this figured out, it would be a shame to lose the Beavers, and I definitely don't want to lose the Timbers.

My mind keeps going on alternate locations (you may remember the OMSI site idea), but I noticed the other day that the Doubletree motel on Jantzen beach is vacant, and a quick check says that it would be large enough not only for a minor league stadium, but also potentially a MLB sized stadium (for the future). Could be a pretty sweet location right along the Columbia, with a new MAX stop at it's front door, and the center of a redeveloped community at Jantzen Beach...

Quick Site Plan Rendering

Last edited by pdxf; Oct 30, 2009 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 10:04 PM

I have a feeling the Beavers will be sold and relocated...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment