HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 3:08 AM
A before E

Renovation? I always thought it would be a tear down, guessing by the rendering, they really mean massive renovation.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 7:30 PM

Woofter Architecture have requested Design Advice and scheduled a Pre-Application Conference for the PSU Viking Pavilion:

Quote:
Design Advice Request for modernization and upgrade to existing building.

Modernization and upgrade of existing structure.
(Should this thread be merged into the main PSU thread? Thoughts?)

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 12:39 AM

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 3:57 AM

Whoa, I knew the previous design was too good to be true, but wtf is that in the pre-app? That is not this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post

img from Oregonlive.com, source: Portland State University

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 4:07 AM

That image is by ZGF Architects (who are not the team taking the project forward), and was done as a part of the feasibility study / fundraising. The Pre-App notice is pretty difficult to read, but it looks like the current design team may have hit up against some budget realities.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 4:10 AM

Ouch.

Replacing garbage with garbage.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 7:48 AM
A before E

Well that is a big let down, I was hoping for another gem from PSU, not a remodel of a turd. Is this bad design because of the money donation that fell through??

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Well that is a big let down, I was hoping for another gem from PSU, not a remodel of a turd. Is this bad design because of the money donation that fell through??
That is too recent to have had an effect here.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 3:39 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
That is too recent to have had an effect here.
Sorry, I didn't mean that literally, just figured it was a viable excuse for such a bad design.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
That image is by ZGF Architects (who are not the team taking the project forward), and was done as a part of the feasibility study / fundraising. The Pre-App notice is pretty difficult to read, but it looks like the current design team may have hit up against some budget realities.
Looks a bit like bait and switch to me. If I donated money based on that design, I would have wanted something as well or better. The glass front is what made it so dramatic. Very unfortunate.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:21 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Looks a bit like bait and switch to me. If I donated money based on that design, I would have wanted something as well or better. The glass front is what made it so dramatic. Very unfortunate.
No kidding - and here's a rendering that Woofter did:

I don't know why I keep finding these...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 12:49 AM

Very sad. The new design is a fail. Looks like a library. That mini glass palace was exceptional. Again, a Portland design that gets dummied down. BOOOOOO!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 10:11 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

They should just continue fundraising until they can afford the original design. Sheesh...

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 4:34 PM

how about the Coliseum?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
how about the Coliseum?
this. I've said before that this is a huge missed opportunity for the City and PSU. I understand the desire to have a nice arena right on campus, but the MC is not THAT FAR away, and considering the amounts of money involved in upgrading both facilities, it seems like a no-brainer.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
this. I've said before that this is a huge missed opportunity for the City and PSU. I understand the desire to have a nice arena right on campus, but the MC is not THAT FAR away, and considering the amounts of money involved in upgrading both facilities, it seems like a no-brainer.
Autzen Stadium is a ways from the U of O campus and Eugene doesnt have the public transpo that Portland has--plus PSU advertises that the CITY is the campus--marriage made in heaven if you ask me

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 7:57 PM
A before E

Quote:
This is something I have always thought would be a good idea. Plus it would free up space on the PSU campus for something else. Besides, the marketing alone that the PSU Vikings play at the home of the National Champion Blazers once played at.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 7:38 AM

Quote:
It's a few stops away (five I think) on MAX, or a few more on the streetcar. It's a great idea that unfortunately keeps getting overlooked. It would seem like there should be some way to make a modernized MC work with the Moda Center and Convention Center.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
It's a few stops away (five I think) on MAX, or a few more on the streetcar. It's a great idea that unfortunately keeps getting overlooked. It would seem like there should be some way to make a modernized MC work with the Moda Center and Convention Center.
The trend in college athletics is to bring them back to campus. Attendance, particularly student attendance, has been falling the past few years in college athletics. USC built their new arena on campus, Tulane just opened a new, smaller on-campus football stadium, and Colorado State is in the process of doing so. The Coliseum is too big a venue for PSU regardless of proximity.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerBeav View Post
The trend in college athletics is to bring them back to campus. Attendance, particularly student attendance, has been falling the past few years in college athletics. USC built their new arena on campus, Tulane just opened a new, smaller on-campus football stadium, and Colorado State is in the process of doing so. The Coliseum is too big a venue for PSU regardless of proximity.
If that's the case maybe it's time to say goodbye to the MC and see the city sell the property to finance more pressing needs.

If the only use of the MC is to host stuff that would be slightly more inconvenient to host at the Rose Garden the building is pretty much useless. Maybe there's a better way to preserve the history of the building as well as the Memorial than keeping an arena on that site if the Winterhawks will be the only users of the space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment