HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Yeah, the design was not very memorable. I'm not a fan of "if building A and building B had a baby" process that developers are using. It's like déjà vu nightmare. I feel bad because I'm friends with some of the local folks working on this....apparently the developer is like 12 lives in NYC.
What is the name of the local Sackman. C.J. Sackman seems to be the spokesman regarding the Austin project, and he is not a youngster and does not live in Austin. According to the Sackman Enterprises website, C.J. has been doing deals since the 1980s. He is probably the founding Sackman's son. Perhaps there is a third generation Sackman involved in the Austin project?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 9:50 PM

The last post on their Facebook Page which was 07/10 says they will be taking registrations "soon." I guess we need to see if that happens.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 9:54 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
What is the name of the local Sackman. C.J. Sackman seems to be the spokesman regarding the Austin project, and he is not a youngster and does not live in Austin. According to the Sackman Enterprises website, C.J. has been doing deals since the 1980s. He is probably the founding Sackman's son. Perhaps there is a third generation Sackman involved in the Austin project?
CJ Sackman is 27 years old (Sackman's Director of Development). You might be confusing him with Carter Sackman?!?

CJ now lives in Austin.

70Rainey is not Sackman's only project in town. They are working on a multifamily development on Burnet Rd. as well.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
CJ Sackman is 27 years old (Sackman's Director of Development). You might be confusing him with Carter Sackman?!?

CJ now lives in Austin.
Yes, I thought Carter was C.J. since I could find no mention of C.J. on the Sackman website.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The last post on their Facebook Page which was 07/10 says they will be taking registrations "soon." I guess we need to see if that happens.
I received a "Preferred Lenders" email from them on 7/16.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 8:38 PM

Just got an email from 70 Rainey with 2 new renderings! Both are interior featuring a large 3 bedroom unit as well as a 2-story sub-penthouse unit.

You can see the images and follow the development for all other updates at https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/seventy-rainey

Last edited by BuzzBuzzEva; Aug 11, 2015 at 8:38 PM. Reason: Improved wording

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 9:53 PM

ABJ: Latest Rainey Street tower moves ahead after compromise

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ess+Journal%29

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 10:15 PM
Member since 2001

Sweet! November start date. Looking forward to the release of the new renderings.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 10:19 PM

Are those photos with the ABJ article of site prep for 70 Rainey - or just random photos to add visuals to the article?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 11:07 PM
Meh

Quote:
Are those photos with the ABJ article of site prep for 70 Rainey - or just random photos to add visuals to the article?
Judging from Google Streetview, that appears to be it. In the third slide photo you can compare it and it lines up perfectly with the electrical tower and that round tower at the museum.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/70...a3d798!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
They have been doing underground utility relocation for about a month now. Most of the food trucks have moved across the street. I think the city had to move a water main to make way for the underground parking.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:10 PM
Honored Member

Great news that they're going ahead with the "green wall" on one side of the garage. That will be a neat effect. I don't get what the deal is with the park, however. Did the city blow an opportunity to get a free pocket park with this deal?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 6:29 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
The MACC board recommended approval of Sackman's plan in June, but City Council appeared to flinch when it scheduled an agenda item for its regular Aug. 20 meeting. The language of the agenda item, according to a memo Sackman sent to area residents and businesses, indicated that the City Council didn't intend to take specific action on Sackman's proposal.
At the time, Sackman said he couldn't wait any longer and said he was considering giving up on the idea of building the park and would rent right-of-way in the middle of Rainey Street to handle the construction process. Several businesses were furious — not with Sackman, but with the Council for failing to accept the plan.

I really hope people who voted for the 10-1 system are regretting it now not that it would do much good. Our council is a freaking joke and I'm to the point where I want to go down there and chew them out for constantly postponing and stalling decisions. If they can't govern efficiently then they should resign! Say what you will about the last council and government system but at least the city got things done which is more that can be said about this one.

At least they FINALLY approved the tower. This is one of my favorites along with 5th & West and Northshore. It will fill a crucial gap when looking from the east or west. Now we just need that other proposed tower to rise and the Rainey Street District will have an impressive cluster and skyline in it's own right.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 7:44 PM

Sounds like a win for Sackman. Didn't the original agreement with MACC call for Sackman to spend $500,000 developing a park on the site after construction was complete on his building and then continued payments to maintain said park? The city council's unanimous city council agreement on 8/20 charges Sackman $400,000 for two years, and he emerges with his building finished and no further obligations regarding building a park.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 12:21 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post

I really hope people who voted for the 10-1 system are regretting it now not that it would do much good. Our council is a freaking joke and I'm to the point where I want to go down there and chew them out for constantly postponing and stalling decisions. If they can't govern efficiently then they should resign! Say what you will about the last council and government system but at least the city got things done which is more that can be said about this one.

At least they FINALLY approved the tower. This is one of my favorites along with 5th & West and Northshore. It will fill a crucial gap when looking from the east or west. Now we just need that other proposed tower to rise and the Rainey Street District will have an impressive cluster and skyline in it's own right.
Something I've learned is more people joining a debate is not necessarily a good thing. Of course free speech and inclusion is great and all, but sometimes too much is too much, if you know what I mean. It just complicates things sometimes since you can't really expect 10 people to agree with each other anymore these days. lol

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 12:52 AM
World Traveler

Honestly, I rarely expect two or three people to agree with each other on anything anymore..."compromise" is a foreign word. All sides too often take the "my way or the highway" approach, which isn't very productive in the long-run...and slightly hypocritical.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 8:04 AM

This project seems to be a spec project like 5th & West. With that said, WTH is wrong with Sutton? They even have a big financial partner.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 7:56 PM

Quote:
This project seems to be a spec project like 5th & West. With that said, WTH is wrong with Sutton? They even have a big financial partner.
I just spoke with my source regarding this project, and he confirmed it is still a go, and that funding is lined up.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 8:00 PM

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 10:35 PM

This project is both apartment and condo now? I never noticed this on this on their Facebook page before:

https://www.facebook.com/SeventyRainey

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin