HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:06 AM

Advice for moving to Toronto

So it turns out I'm moving to the GTA at the end of the month, girl friend got hired by a big firm and I'm tagging along. None of us know much about the city, and I'm sure there's another thread asking the same questions somewhere, but it seems easier to simply re-ask here.

Basically I'm looking to find out things like:

Good safe areas with generally cheap rent? (Out side of the city is fine, we can always use transit to commute.)

How reliable/useful is the gotrain system?

Areas to generally avoid?

Is it worth it to find a place near the subway?

Answers are very appreciated!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:08 AM

http://www.torontoneighbourhoods.net/

Try High Park, Junction, Parkdale, Little Italy. All nice places

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:45 AM

Avoid anywhere near Jane and Finch.

Today is an exception with the torrential rain, but normally the GO transit is very reliable. I use it often and rarely have had any problem. The subway isn't very extensive, but if you live near a station it is good for getting downtown. My wife's cousin used to live in a condo on Yonge St just north of the 401 highway that had a subway station in the building and loved the convenience of not having to go outside to get to work on cold and wet days.

I wish you all the best in your move, and welcome to the GTA.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 4:28 PM
sick transit, gloria

How much do you value living in an urban area as opposed to one that is suburban? Rent is cheaper in suburban areas, but not substantially so, particularly in desirable areas near GO stations. Generally you just get a bit more space than you would in the city. And commutes can be hellish. While GO is generally reliable it gets tiring very fast unless you require the tradeoff of a larger house / backyard etc. It's also not cheap, so take this into account when looking at rents outside the city!

There aren't any areas I would avoid in a danger sense (yes, even Jane and Finch) except for saying that individual buildings can be bad. These are generally in areas where you wouldn't want to be from a transportation perspective getting downtown anyways though. Think North Etobicoke, parts of North York and Scarborough.

I think it comes down to a combo of what type of lifestyle you desire, how much you are willing to pay in rent, how much space you want and how long you are willing to commute and travel to go out for bars/restaurants etc.

If rent is a really important factor I will discount the more immediate central areas, but if you can find something reasonable I would strongly suggest closer to downtown. Little Italy, Little Portugal, Annex etc. Or even Riverdale or Leslieville. I personally don't care much for living in condo areas but these are good too if that's your thing.

Further out neighbourhoods that are older with decent amenities and transit access via GO or TTC:
Port Credit (in Mississauga)
Long Branch
New Toronto
Mimico

More central Toronto areas with cheaper rent and subway / TTC access:
East Danforth (Woodbine, Coxwell subway stations etc)
Upper Gerrard East area (east of Coxwell)
Bathurst and St Clair
Junction (Dundas and Keele)
Bloor and Dufferin / Lansdowne (this area used to be kinda sketchy but is gentrifying FAST, and rents are beginning to reflect this)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
http://www.torontoneighbourhoods.net/

Try High Park, Junction, Parkdale, Little Italy. All nice places
All crawling with hipsters though.

For me being on a subway is absolutely key. The go train is great for getting to and from work in the core but doesn't allow you to get anywhere else in the city.

I would recommend somewhere on the Danforth; subway access, good neighbourhoods and slightly cheaper than the west side.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 9:37 PM

Born and raised in the GTA, I'd agree with a couple of the posts saying avoid Jane and Finch. I'd also avoid Scarborough.

New rail transit system on Eglinton so I'd actually start looking at Eglinton next year for people who have time and money to wait as after the completion the area will be booming.

I also really like North York area. Some buildings are a little older but if you do your research you can find decent ones for good prices.

If you are driving and have a car I'd also suggest Vaughan/Richmond Hill. Nice and pricey but it is worth it if you can afford it.

Woodbridge is expensive and super italian area but still nice!

Markham is super asian but also nice and close to alot of commericial work.

http://royallepageinfinity.com to search up properties. They are located at near Yonge and Eglinton. Great experience with them

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
So it turns out I'm moving to the GTA at the end of the month, girl friend got hired by a big firm and I'm tagging along. None of us know much about the city, and I'm sure there's another thread asking the same questions somewhere, but it seems easier to simply re-ask here.

Basically I'm looking to find out things like:

Good safe areas with generally cheap rent? (Out side of the city is fine, we can always use transit to commute.)

How reliable/useful is the gotrain system?

Areas to generally avoid?

Is it worth it to find a place near the subway?

Answers are very appreciated!

It depends on what your budget is and how much room you need. I love the Waterfront area in Downtown Toronto the best. When sporting events/concerts aren't happening, the area is pretty peaceful and calm for one of North America's biggest and most popular cities. Prices are generally pretty expensive here though (not Yorkville pricing, but still expensive)

The Waterfront just outside of Downtown in Mimico is also nice and has a ton of nice new build condos and is so close to Downtown. I never lived there, but always thought it was a nice area.

The Go Train is reliable, but it all depends on where you're going to. It's not very useful if you're going to Hamilton for example.

If your work is Downtown or near a subway station, I would recommend living near one. It's not a necessity, but it's useful. Even if you don't work near a subway station, it's nice to be able to jump on the subway and get to different parts of Downtown quickly while avoiding the congestion on the roads...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 9:08 PM

cormiermax made this thread 5 years ago. He is living in Beijing now. I don't think he is looking for advice about Toronto neighbourhoods anymore.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto