HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 8:55 AM
World Traveler

^ Hutto is also exploding...and Manor is starting to also. I don't have the numbers, but one if you guys (probably Novacek) likely has them memorized.

The proximity of these areas along major freeways seem like they're ripe for more development, in my opinion.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
According to this, probably sometime in 2020. The estimated population now is 931,830, with 19,117 estimated to have moved in from July 2014 to July 2015. Assuming that number stays the same, we'll exceed 1 million sometime in 2020.

http://www.census.gov/newsroom/press...6/cb16-81.html
Holy crap!
Austin was 182,000 when I got here, and there was no "metro" area.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Holy crap!
Austin was 182,000 when I got here, and there was no "metro" area.
What year was that brat?

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:41 AM

I had to screen shot the long list three times to make this work because its from a pdf and I'm a moran. Inspired by question on the previous post. I got to Austin when Austin was 349k.

Last edited by the Genral; May 28, 2016 at 4:31 AM.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 6:23 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Wait I thought it was 912K last year? What happened to the 12K and that would mean we aren't at 920K yet either???...

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 6:42 PM
Member since 2001

Yes, it was. The COA demographers are morons.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 10:11 PM

Apparently I moved to Austin the only year that the population declined.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 9:04 PM

Get ready for new neighbors: Austin to nearly double in size

G. Scott Thomas
ABJ

Austin is poised to grow faster than any other large U.S. city in the next 25 years, nearly doubling in population.

That is according to new research by American City Business Journals, the parent company of the Austin Business Journal. The population of the Texas capital, which reached 2 million last year, is projected to soar 98.5 percent to nearly 4 million by 2040.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...to-nearly.html

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 9:36 PM
Member since 2001

Based on past history and job growth, plus future potential, I have Austin closer to 4.3 million in 2040 (just under 400,000 more than the ABJ's estimate).

I also believe that they underestimated San Antonio as well. I have them right at 4 million in 2040.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 12:49 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

LOL

All I can think of is the traffic. Hopefully more employers will be allowing alternative work schedules, and working from home options.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 10:08 AM
World Traveler

I just posted that same article to some other Texas threads. Yeah, I think their numbers might be a little off in some areas. However, one thing that we know is there is some serious growth happening throughout Texas, not just Austin. That will all contribute to a need for cities/metros to work together more for infrastructure, development, etc...namely in transportation, as lzppjb pointed out.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I just posted that same article to some other Texas threads. Yeah, I think their numbers might be a little off in some areas. However, one thing that we know is there is some serious growth happening throughout Texas, not just Austin. That will all contribute to a need for cities/metros to work together more for infrastructure, development, etc...namely in transportation, as lzppjb pointed out.
And modifying land use codes for additional density in central Austin so people can more affordably live closer to work if they choose, so they don't have to contribute to the ever-increasing traffic problems.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
And modifying land use codes for additional density in central Austin so people can more affordably live closer to work if they choose, so they don't have to contribute to the ever-increasing traffic problems.
The Nimby's will never let that happen. I've come to the conclusion that most people in general are just afraid of change. And "scared" people scream the loudest, dominating the conversation. I used to have hope, but after Councilwoman Houston couldn't get behind 123 East, I fear this town will always be what it is, and not what it could be.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
LOL

All I can think of is the traffic. Hopefully more employers will be allowing alternative work schedules, and working from home options.
or y'know...supporting mass transit. Build it NOW...before they come...so we will be ready! (and they're GOING to come!) Not only within Austin...but all of the Austin-San Antonio corridor. It's the next big metropolis of the US.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
The Nimby's will never let that happen. I've come to the conclusion that most people in general are just afraid of change. And "scared" people scream the loudest, dominating the conversation. I used to have hope, but after Councilwoman Houston couldn't get behind 123 East, I fear this town will always be what it is, and not what it could be.
One can only hope and pray that a) this election changes some things for the better (namely removing Queen bee NIMBY Leslie Pool) and b) CodeNEXT actually passes through without too much of a beating.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
^This^

From back in January:

AISD enrollment expected to drop by thousands over next decade

Quote:
The number of students in Austin Independent School District is only going to continue to drop. A demographic study released today projects Austin ISD will lose 6,140 students over the next 10 years.

The reasons, AISD reports, are lower birth rates, additional education options and most significantly, affordability.

[SNIP]

“This of course is due to the fact that housing is much more expensive within the central city, as well as they tend to be housing types that are not as family friendly as in suburban areas,” Beth Wilson, Assistant Director of Planning in AISD Office of Facilities said.

Wilson encourages people to think of the school district’s population as a doughnut, with the least amount of students in central downtown, in the “hole.” Projections show, over the next decade, that hole is only expected to get bigger as more and more families move to the outer edges of the city.
And this just came out today from the Austin Board of Realtors.

Home sales dip in Austin, increase across Central Texas in September 2016

Quote:
Single-family home sales increased across the Austin-Round Rock Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), but declined throughout the City of Austin in September, according to the September 2016 Central Texas Housing Market Report released today by the Austin Board of REALTORS®.

Aaron Farmer, 2016 President of the Austin Board of REALTORS­® said, “Housing is at the center of all economic development. Nowhere is this more evident than at the intersection of housing affordability and mobility. As more and more homebuyers look outside of Austin’s city limits to find an affordable home, our region’s infrastructure is increasingly strained and the overall costs of homeownership rise because of the increased cost to commute.”

[SNIP]

“Both Austin’s current housing stock and infrastructure are not sustainable for our region’s projected population growth, which is expected to double by 2040,” added Farmer.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Wait I thought it was 912K last year? What happened to the 12K and that would mean we aren't at 920K yet either???...
I think the 900,701 estimate was for April 1, 2015. I noticed that the link where the Genral got that info has been updated to include the April 1, 2016 estimate which is 926,426.

That same number (for 2016) is also shown on this other chart from the City's website:

Austin Area Population Histories and Forecasts (pdf file)

It projected forecast breaks it down into City of Austin, Travis County, and the 5-county metro area and goes out to 2045.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 3:17 AM

Fail to build additional housing supply and density in Austin, and people will venture further out. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
^This^

From back in January:

AISD enrollment expected to drop by thousands over next decade

And this just came out today from the Austin Board of Realtors.

Home sales dip in Austin, increase across Central Texas in September 2016

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 4:54 PM

in my neighborhood (zilker), we see the entire neighborhood changing from older 1000-1400 sqft homes to larger 2600-3000 sqft homes. most of the previous owners had 0-1 kid, the new occupants ALL have at least 1 and/or planning to have some. I think in a few years, you will see that (at least in Zilker) an uptick in enrollment. My kids are 2 and 4 months, and I plan to send them both to Zilker elem. The demographics are different in each neighborhood of course, not sure if Bouldin and Travis Heights will see the same as those schools don't have a great reputation per the rankings. The folks i know who live in larger newer homes in those neighborhoods send their kids to private school.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 4:35 PM

The latest ACS numbers are out.

ABJ has a story, but they seem to be miscalculating something. There's no way Charlotte grew 38% (the other Census population estimates have them at 9%).

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...th-in-the.html

I think they must not be accounting for additional counties added to the metro.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin