HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 6:39 PM

Whitecaps $31-million Delta Training Centre Dead

Seems like Delta is taking aim at the dubious title of most nimby municipality in the region. Instead of getting the benefits of a large soccer facility largely funded by the Whitecaps, they now have chosen to go at it alone with a much scaled down version paid for by local taxpayers. Is it something in the air that makes this region's politicians so stupid?

From the Vancouver Sun:

METRO VANCOUVER -- A deal with the Vancouver Whitecaps to develop John Oliver Park in Delta into a soccer centre is dead.

Delta civic politicians approved a staff report Monday night that scuttles a tentative agreement, paving the way for Delta to create its own master plan for the East Delta park.

"We put a lot of effort into working with the Whitecaps, work we're now going to turn into something positive for the community," said parks and recreation director Ken Kuntz.

"Really, I think it's time to move in a different direction," Kuntz told Delta council.

Rather than a project that would have seen the lion's share of the 20-hectare (51-acre) park turned over to the Whitecaps for a $31 million National Soccer Training Centre, the new plan would see Delta develop the entire site, likely through a combination of soccer/football fields and ball diamonds as well as a clubhouse.

Chief administrative officer George Harvie said the municipality has $5 million in reserves to spend on the project, which he hopes to begin work on as early as next year.

The Whitecaps initially approached Delta almost three years ago with the idea of creating a soccer complex at the junction of highways 10 and 91. The two sides came to a tentative agreement, eventually signing a memorandum of understanding, but it was never finalized despite three extensions to the deadline.

Kuntz said council refused the Whitecaps' request for an extension of the Jan. 15 deadline, effectively killing the deal and prompting the municipality to move forward with alternate plans.

Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi said the club is disappointed with Delta's decision.

He said the organization requested the extensions because it felt it needed a bit more time to determine if the offer that was on the table would be financially viable.

Harvie said the Whitecaps originally wanted the entire park, but were told Delta couldn't displace the existing user groups. He said Delta required three fields to at least maintain current community use, which still would have provided the Whitecaps with sufficient space for fields, a clubhouse and other facilities.

Kuntz said the negotiation process ran into some difficulties after the provincial government and the Whitecaps announced significant funding for the project before any deal had been signed.

During last spring's provincial election campaign, Premier Gordon Campbell pledged $17.5 million toward the project if the Liberals were re-elected. Lenarduzzi said the Whitecaps have still been talking to the province about the funding, which was committed for a soccer training centre.

"We are still talking to the government and certainly that is still the plan," he said. "We will still be pursuing a national training centre."

Without going into details, Lenarduzzi said other municipalities interested in hosting the centre have approached the organization.

"There is no ill will towards Delta and we both have to move on at this time," he said.

The agreement would have seen the Whitecaps lease the site for $200,000 annually or provide $5 million up front in return for 25 years of lease-free tenancy.

Delta would have used the lump sum to redevelop its portion of the park with artificial turf fields.

The municipality acquired four smaller parcels adjacent to the existing park last year to increase the site's footprint and allow for greater sports field development.

Council sent the issue to the parks and recreation commission to devise a master plan for the park.

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 7:54 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

All I have to say is head east. I am sure either Surrey or Langley would love it.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinacan View Post
All I have to say is head east. I am sure either Surrey or Langley would love it.
That's so far out. The Whitecaps will be playing in downtown Vancouver at a refurbished BC Place (can't wait until it gets a new name). They should have their practice facility somewhere either in Vancouver, Richmond or Burnaby.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
That's so far out. The Whitecaps will be playing in downtown Vancouver at a refurbished BC Place (can't wait until it gets a new name). They should have their practice facility somewhere either in Vancouver, Richmond or Burnaby.
Ya I don't understand why the Lions have their outdoor practice field in Surrey. I think it is to involve that community more with the team. So kudos to them for that, but it doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 10:03 PM

The Caps will usually play MLS matches on weekends(sometimes Thurs) so it doesn't really matter where the training ground is. If you look at London clubs, Arsenal have theirs north of London about 15 miles and Chelsea has theirs down in Surrey about 15 miles. Ironically, if the Caps build theirs out in our namesake of Surrey it's about the same distance.

The amount of money the Caps will spend on a training ground is amazing, unprecedented for a North American club. San Jose for example are spending a miniscule $1m. The $30m for ours(and national use) is up there with what mid-table English Premier clubs spend on training facilities. It just goes to show the commitment Kerfoot and co. have with the sport.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Ya I don't understand why the Lions have their outdoor practice field in Surrey. I think it is to involve that community more with the team. So kudos to them for that, but it doesn't make much sense otherwise.
Land prices. A typical training facility necessitates at least two fields. With each field requiring about 120X75 metres of land, you can see that it would be prohibitively expensive to build it in Vancouver.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 6:55 PM

How about if the Lions & Whitecaps joined forces to open a training facility they can both use? Being home to the training facility for both clubs might propel a municipality to get involved and create a great facility for the whole community to use. A concept sort of like those fields behind 8 rinks but on steroids.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjauk View Post
Land prices. A typical training facility necessitates at least two fields. With each field requiring about 120X75 metres of land, you can see that it would be prohibitively expensive to build it in Vancouver.
So why not in Richmond, where it's not too far from Vancouver, and they've got some land for the Whitecaps to use (maybe?).

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 12:22 PM

After the new BC Place roof is done and the CFL & MLS teams move back into BC Place from the temporary Empire site, and the temporary stadium is removed from Empire, why not rebuild the Empire site (yet again) into the new practice facility?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 3:16 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Isn't the obvious choice to use Swangard as the practice facility? It's already there, connected by skytrain, and pretty central and won't have a major tenant.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 4:23 PM
loafing in lotusland

I think they want something with multiple fields though. They're thinking for the future and trying to secure a "national" training centre for the entire country. This is more than just a Whitecaps training ground.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 5:09 PM

John Oliver Park is in the middle of nowhere. Why spend all the tax payer money on something that is hard for your tax payers to get to and enjoy? Why not take the money from the Whitecaps and use it to improve the park instead of pay for it yourself.

Is it just me, or is Ken Kuntz an aptly named politician?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 10:36 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Now, this is a shot in the dark, but what about the soccer fields near Ambleside in West Vancouver? They already use similar field turf that most stadiums use, and the facilities are already built.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 12:33 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

what about the SFU Multi Sports Project that got canned a while back.......would be a great fit IMO.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 7:33 PM

I dunno if swangard will be a good fit, as they would prolly be multiple fields....aQ

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 8:02 PM

Maybe a portion of the Garden City lands in Richmond would be a good spot for a new soccer training centre. Richmond recently just purchased it and might want to recoup some of the money. Plus Richmond has a history of being good at attracting these sorts of large sports facilities (i.e. the speed skating oval). Would that be allowable given the Garden City lands are part of the ALR?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 11:02 PM

^ My understanding is that, strictly speaking, ALR land cannot be used for this purpose, but exemptions are routinely given for this.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation